NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF GREEN CHILLIES
The nutritional value in 100 grams of green chilies is:
- Calories – 40 kcal
- Protein – 2 gm.
- Fat – 0.2 gm.
- Sodium – 7 mg.
- Potassium- 340 mg.
- Vitamin A – 2 gm.
- Vitamin C – 404 mg.
WAYS TO CONSUME GREEN CHILLIES
- Green chili pickle
- Green chili chutney
GREEEN CHILLI BENEFITS
Balances blood sugar levels – Green chilies are good for healthy life
- Balancing blood sugar levels.
- Reduces the amount of insulin in the body.
- Chilies in diet lower heart rate too,
- Good source of beta carotene, antioxidants and endorphins.
Improves digestion – Green chilies rich in Vitamin C.
- This vitamin enhancing the digestion process.
- Digestion also improves as chewing of green chili that releases a lot of saliva.
- It is also loaded with dietary fiber that promotes healthy bowel movement and prevents constipation.
Rich in antioxidants – Green chilies are rich in antioxidants
- Many vitamins are present in it like Vitamins- A, B complex (B6 and B9), and C.
- Food items that are rich in antioxidants can help body as well as skin.
- Protects from damage and many chronic disease.
- Antioxidant rich foods having cancer-protective properties.
Good for vision – advantages of eating green chilly is that it improving vision.
- In weak eyesight they act as an improving element.
- Including green chilies in diet provides Vitamin A to body
- Chilies are also good sources of vitamin C and copper that are good for eye care.
Aids weight loss – Green chilies have no calories and can be consumed easily by a normal person who is not diabetic or having piles.
- Being low in calories green chilies are an aid for weight loss as they increase the metabolism of the body, result burning the excess fat from the body.
Good for heart health – Green chilies are also known to be good for heart.
- Because of good amounts of beta-carotene, green chilies help in maintaining the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Reducing bad cholesterol and decrease the chances of heart attack.
- Help in boosting immunity.
1. Stomach irritation and diarrhea – green chilies are spicy and cause irritation and burning sensation in the stomach even leading diarrhea if consume in excess.
2. Skin irritation – people should take care while cutting, using or consuming green chilies and do not touch any other body part with those hands.
- It can prove to be very sensitive for skin and trigger irritation and a burning sensation.
- Don’t touch eyes while using green chili in the kitchen.
3. Ulcers – over consuming green chilies cause ulcers.
- Spicy foods are known to create stomach acid and irritation.
- Results mouth and stomach ulcers.
- It is best to have green chilies in moderation to avoid this problem.
4. Avoided by diabetic and piles patients – Green chilies should be avoided by diabetic and piles patients.
- Diabetes becomes lower than normal due to excess consumption of green chilies so it is better diabetic Patients who are on medications should avoid green chili intake.
- Patients suffering from piles should also avoid the consumption of green chilies because it may cause burning sensation.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.