Infertility refers to the inability of a couple for conception even after one year of unprotected intercourse. Besides, women who are able to get pregnant but have repeated miscarriages or abortion are also said to be infertile.
- Blockage in the fallopian tubes
- Abnormality in the cervical canal
- Uterine fibroids
- Hormonal problems that would lead to ovulation problems
- In males infertility is caused due to anatomical, psychological, hormonal or lifestyle related factors
- Irregular menstrual cycles in females contribute to the infertility
- Azoospermia that is when no sperm cells are produced
- Asthenozoospermia that is decreased motility of the sperms
- Oligospermia that is when few sperm cells are produced also contributes to the male infertility
- Sleeplessness or insomnia
- Taking in spicy, salty and hot food in excess
- Excessive alcohol use, tobacco use, drug use also have a harmful impact on the health condition of the female and males.
- Failure to reproduce
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, preparing a woman’s body for conception is compared with the process of farming. It is believed that as the health of a crop depends upon the quality of seed, soil, timing of sowing and the amount of water it gets, in the same way the health of the baby depends upon the health of the parents.
For a healthy and successful pregnancy, a couple needs to take care of the following four important factors:
- Sperm/Ovum that is compared with seeds
- Uterus that is compared with the soil
- Nourishment that is compared with the water
- Time for conception that is compared with the timing of sowing
Ayurveda believes that healthy poorva dhatu leads to the development of the uttarotar dhatu. If due to above reasons, rasa dhatu is not formed properly, then the subsequent dhatus are not formed healthy. As a result the reproductive tissue or the shukra dhatu remains deficient and hence leads to the condition of infertility. The main aim of ayurvedic treatment in case of infertility is to make sure that there is proper transformation of the food into nutrients that can lead to the proper development of the shukra dhatu.
Following Panchkarma procedures are done in case of infertility:
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
- Vaman or Virechana
Single herbs that are beneficial in infertility are:
- Aloe Vera
Ayurvedic formulations helpful in infertility are:
- Phala Ghrit
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Triphala Churna
- Shatavari Churna
- Kapikachhu Pak
- Guduchi Satva
- Stri Rasayan Vati
DIET AND LIFETSYLE
- Consume milk and milk products like cheese, paneer, ghee etc.
- Prefer eating soaked almonds and soaked walnuts.
- Have fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Have fruit juices in your diet.
- Avoid heavy, oily and fatty food stuffs
- Include spices such as ajwain, cumin, turmeric and black cumin in your food.
- Avoid having tea, coffee and other caffeinated foods.
- Limit the intake of carbohydrates like white bread, pasta and rice.
- Avoid taking non vegetarian diet
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol
- Avoid taking stress as it has a major impact on the health of the female.
- Do regular excercises as being overweight reduces the chances for a woman to get pregnant.
- Females should make sure that they take proper, nutritious and well balanced diet with all essential vitamins and minerals.
- Prepare the fine powder of Ashwagandha and add one teaspoon of this in a glass of water. Have this twice a day.
- Mix equal amounts of finely powdered pomegranate seeds and its bark. Store this in an airtight jar. Take half teaspoon of this mixture in a glass of warm water two times a day.
- Grind 10-12 seedless dates and two tablespoons of chopped coriander root. Prepare the paste and add three-fourths cup of cow’s milk and boil. Cool it and then drink this once daily.
- Prepare a fine powder of dried tender roots of the banyan tree and take 20 grams of its powder with milk atleast once a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.