Ischemic heart disease or myocardial ischemia is a disease in which there is reduced blood supply to the heart muscles. This occurs mainly due to coronary artery disease or atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries. It is more commonly seen in men as compared to the women. The risk of getting this disease increases with the increase in age and is also more prevalent among the smokers.
- Cigratte Smoking
- High cholesterol levels
- Due to chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary embolism or any other congenital anomaly of coronary artery.
- Poor or inadequate diet
- Due to deposition of the calcium, lipoproteins and inflammatory cells in the body
- Due to deposition of cholesterol plaques that leads to atherosclerosis of the arteries
- Pain in the chest region
- Weakness in the body
- Irregular and fast pulse rate
- Acute myocardial infarctions
- Conductive defects of the heart
- Congestive cardiac failures
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in the feet and ankles
- Swelling in the abdomen
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, ischemic heart disease is compared with the hrida roga. When the vata dosha gets vitiated and disturbs the rasa dhatu in the body, it results in the hrida roga or kapha dosha causes hardening of the arteries.
Ayurveda describes the following types of hrida roga:
- Vataj Hridaroga in which the person experiences acute pain with shifting nature
- Pittaja Hridaroga in which the patient has pain with the burning sensation.
- Kaphaja Hridaroga in which the patient has pain which is mild in nature and is often associated with the heaviness, nausea and cough.
- Tridoshaja Hridaroga wherein the patient experiences the mixed symptoms of the three doshas.
Single herbs useful in ischemic heart disease are:
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this disease are:
- Arjun Ksheer Pak
- Akeek Pishti
- Jahar Mohra Pishti
- Lakshmi Vilas Rasa
- Chandra Prabha Vati
- Sarpagandha Vati
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Lashun Rasayan
- Lashunadi Vati
- Triphala Guggulu
- Ashwagandha Churna
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take in low fat vegetarian diet.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol, drugs.
- Do regular excercises to eliminate body fat, lower total cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol that prevents fatty cholesterol deposits.
- Practice meditation and yoga exercises.
- Avoid taking in heavy meals and late night snacks.
- Avoid eating frequently and over eating.
- Avoid eating food stuffs that would cause constipation. Patient’s bowel should be cleared regularly.
- Cow’s ghee, milk and butter should be preferred instead of buffalo’s milk, ghee and butter.
- Avoid mental tension and stress.
- Take 7-8 ours sound sleep as sleep deprivation leads to depression, blood pressure problems and other disorders that increase the risk of heart disease.
- Focus on positive attitudes, emotions and activities that increase the ojas. Ojas maintains the contentment, bliss, vitality and longetivity.
- Soak one teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds in water for a night. Consume them in the next morning on empty stomach. This will reduce the cholesterol level and excess fats.
- Take half tablespoon of Trikatu powder with honey regularly. This too helps in reducing the cholesterol level and hence prevents the heart disease.
- Take three parts of powdered turmeric, six parts of grind cumin, six parts of grind coriander, six parts of grind fennel, two parts of grind fenugreek, one part of dried powdered ginger and one part ground black pepper.
- Take 5-10 grams of powdered Arjun tree bark, I cup of milk and 3 cups of water. Boil all these things till it reduces to half. This is known as Arjun Ksheer Pak. Take this empty stomach in the morning.
- Prepare a paste of about one gram of garlic in a glass of buttermilk. Drink this twice a day. This lowers the cholesterol and prevents heart diseases.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.