Leucorrhoea is also known as white discharge. It is defined as the condition where a thick and sticky discharge releases from the vagina of a woman. All women during their reproductive period experience this. It is not a disease but symptom of diseases like diabetes, anemia or it may also occur due to some bacterial infections or due to sexually transmitted diseases. It may be thick, viscid and foul smelling if the cause is infection.
Leucorrhoea is divided into following types:
- Physiological leucorrhoea – This white discharge keeps the vaginal area lubricated and helps to preserve the flexibility of the vaginal tissues. This type of leucorrhoea is a result of estrogen hormonal stimulation.
- Pathological leucorrhoea – This type of leucorrhoea occurs due to inflammation in the vaginal tissues. It also occurs due to any bacterial infection or due to sexually transmitted diseases.
- Hormonal disturbances
- Increased estrogen levels
- Improper diet
- At the time of ovulation and in early pregnancy
- During sexual excitement
- Due to under nutrition
- Dysfunctional state of the genital tract
- Improper hygienic conditions
- Accumulation of toxins in the body
- Diseases like anemia, diabetes
- Any local injury
- Infection and inflammation
- Psychological factors
- Thick slightly yellowish white foul smelling discharge from the vagina
- Weakness in the body
- Dark patches under the eyes
- Pain in the abdomen
- Pain in the lower back or thigh region
- Irritation and itching in the genital area
- Inflammation around the vagina
- Lethargic body
- Constipation or irregular bowel
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, leucorrhoea is compared with Shvet Pradar. It is believed that it is caused due to aggravated kapha dosha. The vitiated kapha dosha along with other factors disturbs the rasa dhatu present in the vaginal canal and leads to the discharge of white coloured liquid from the vagina. The discharge is generally painless.
Four types of Pradar are described in Ayurveda:
- Vatic Pradar – Discharge is dry and frothy and is often associated with the pain.
- Paitik Pradar – Discharge is either yellow or blue black and is associated with the burning sensation.
- Kaphaja Pradar – Discharge is slimy and appears pale.
- Sannipatik Pradar – Discharge shows the features of all the three doshas.
Ayurveda treatment for leucorrhoea aims at improving the functions of gonads to help reduce the excess discharge by controlling the hormone qualities and disturbances.
Single herbs useful in case of leucorrhoea are:
- Aloe vera
Ayurvedic herbs useful in this case are:
- Pushyanuga Churna
- Pradarantak Loha Bhasma
- Chandra Prabha Vati
- Shatavari Churna
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Include more of fruits, vegetables, salads in your diet.
- Maintain proper personal hygiene.
- Always wipe your genitals and anus after defecation to prevent infection from entering the vagina.
- Wash and clean vagina and internal parts with alum water.
- Drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- During menstrual periods, use clean cotton pads or sanitary napkins to prevent infection.
- Avoid eating heavy, oily, spicy and sour food stuffs.
- Avoid tea, coffee and other carbonated beverages.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and smoking.
- Boil three tablespoons of rice in three cups of water. Strain the mixture and add one teaspoon of sugar into it. Drink this lukewarm atleast once a day.
- Boil three teaspoon of methi or fenugreek in one litre of water for half an hour. Strain and use this for washing the vaginal area atleast twice or thrice a day.
- Soak one teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water overnight. Chew the seeds and drink the water next morning. This is highly beneficial in case of leucorrhoea.
- Take one tablespoon powder each of the bark of fig tree and banyan tree. Boil it in one litre of water and reduce it to half. Douching with this lukewarm decoction helps in keeping the vaginal tract healthy.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.