WHAT IS PROLACTIN?
- It is a hormone produced by the Pituitary gland named because it plays important role in the process of Lactation.
- Other names- Lactotropin; PRL; Milk Hormone; Luteotropic hormone
- It is a protein best known for its role in enabling mammals, usually females, to produce milk. It is influential in over 300 separate processes in various vertebrates, including humans.
- If prolactin levels are higher than normal, it often means there is a type of tumor of the pituitary gland, known as a prolactinoma. This tumor makes the gland produce too much prolactin.
- Increase level of prolactin can cause the production of breast milk in men and in women who are not pregnant or breastfeeding.
HOW IS PROLACTIN CONTROLLED?
- The hormone called dopamine is one of the main regulators of the production of prolactin from the pituitary gland which is produced by the hypothalamus, the part of the brain directly above the pituitary gland.
- Dopamine hinders the production of prolactin, so the more the amount of dopamine lesser the release of prolactin. Prolactin itself enhances the secretion of dopamine, so this creates a negative feedback loop.
- The Oestrogen hormone is also a key regulator of prolactin and has been shown to increase the production and secretion of prolactin from the pituitary gland.
- Some Studies have shown that during stages of the reproductive cycle where estrogen levels are at their highest level there is small increase in prolactin level in the blood circulation of women.
- This is also noted during and after the pregnancy, since a higher level of circulating prolactin is needed to cause lactation to start.
- Apart from dopamine and oestrogen, a whole range of other hormones, like thyrotropin releasing hormone, oxytocin and diuretic hormone can also increase and decrease the amount of prolactin released in the body.
SWITCH TO AYURVEDA REDUCE THE PROLACTIN LEVELS
By following some simple steps one can regulate its prolactin level naturally-
BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL
Keep in check your Blood sugar level and Balance the blood sugar to lower prolactin naturally.
Common names- Chaste tree or Vitex, chaste berry, and monk’s pepper etc.
It is a plant used as a medicinal treatment to relieve numerous symptoms as well as PMS. The medicinal component of the plant comes from the essential oils and flavonoids in it. Vitex is a way to lower prolactin naturally is because of the dopaminergic effects. It some studies it is shown that it can also inhibit prolactin secretion, which helps to decrease PMS symptoms. But it does not work well to lower prolactin naturally if luteinizing hormone (LH) is high.
REMOVE BEER & BARLEY
Remove beer and barley from your lifestyle also helps to lower the prolactin level naturally.
As the Gluten may exacerbate the high prolactin levels if you’re slightly gluten-sensitive because gluten can cause inflammation in the intestines and further the internal stress response.
LIMIT OR STOP YOR ALCOHOL INTAKE
It has been evaluated that alcohol in general is a factor that raises the prolactin levels. This effect may be due to the acute changes in dopamine levels in the hypothalamus.
Stress is the major factor for the hormonal imbalances in the body.
By managing stress one can lower the prolactin levels naturally.
If someone is stressed then one can release high levels of cortisol or stress hormone.
Our immune system slows down in response to stress, but prolactin has regulatory effects to help improve the immune system.
Manage stress through the following steps like getting at least 8hrs sleep at night, eating meals more frequently, meditation, mindful movement, and aerobic exercise can help a lot in management of Stress.
One should avoid under eating it is another way to lower prolactin naturally.
Under eating can cause stress on the body due to unbalanced blood sugar and increased cortisol.
It is a water soluble vitamin which can lower prolactin naturally. By Consumption of Vitamin B-6 one can inhibit the prolactin production by increasing the dopaminergic effect in the hypothalamus.
RULE OUT PITUITARY TUMOR OR PROLACTINOMA-
It is when a noncancerous tumor forms on the pituitary gland in the brain and it causes high production of prolactin.
It can be associated with high levels of prolactin so it is important to make sure you do not have a pituitary tumor to lower prolactin naturally. Symptoms include- vaginal dryness, irregular periods, discharge from nipples, and low sex drive.
Diagnosis is done through an MRI through the doctor and will need medication to manage it. The tumor can be treated at initial stages with medication but later on can be removed and this will help to lower prolactin naturally.
SOME OTHER FACTORSTO BE KEPT IN MIND-
One should do the following laboratory test like KFT (Kidney function test), LFT(Liver function test) , Thyroid Profile test as they may be associated with the rise in prolactin levels.
EXERCISE AND YOGA
- Exercise and yoga is beneficial for our body it deals with all the troubles regarding hormonal imbalance just not physically but mentally, yoga and exercise create a soothing effect.
- Increased prolactin levels are life-long troubles. There can never be a permanent solution to this.
- A good diet along with regular yoga and exercise are always recommended.
- It can even reduce acne and pimples along with oily scalp as high prolactin level creates oily scalp and extremely oily nose and skin.
- It reduces stress refreshes the mind and fight against acne, pimples and regulates the hormonal level.
There are various types of asanas which can help in regulating the prolactin levels like-
- Ushtra asana or Camel pose
- Setubandhasana or Bridge pose
- Shashankasana or Rabbit pose
- Malasana or Garland pose
- Bhujangasana or Cobra pose
These Asana along with Pranayamas helps a lot in reducing the Prolactin levels.
IS AYURVEDA MEDICINES EFFECTIVE?
- Ayurvedic medicines do have the capability of reducing the prolactin levels in a natural way without any side effects.
- Ayurveda does not ask the question how to lower prolactin levels naturally but it provide all types of sources to actually reduce the levels and bring a balance in the polycystic syndrome.
- The only thing which is required is patience and time to get the amazing effects. By coming under the shadow of Ayurveda it not only controls the prolactin levels but, also controls as well as channelizes the flow from the pituitary gland.
- Pituitary gland is responsible for various vital functions in the body and also it sends signals to the ovaries. Through the positive effects of the Ayurveda it will make the pituitary gland to send signals to the ovaries to making the right amount of hormones. Thus, there is balance of Hormones in the body.
CAC SPECIAL MEDICATIONS
The following medication helps in reducing the Prolactin Levels naturally–
- DETOX PREMIUM POWDER
- REFRESH TABLETS
- WOMEN POWER PLUS TABLET
- FEMINE CARE TABLET
- RE ACTIVE POWDER
Prolactinoma Care Kit
These medications have natural ingredients which help to lower Prolactin in a natural way and good for overall Health of an individual.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.