Heart is the most important organ in our body that as it pumps blood & provide oxygen. Ischemic heart disease is also known as coronary artery or coronary artery disease that creates problem in the heart. It causes narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle. The narrowing of the artery is caused by blood clot or constriction of the blood vessel. It can often be caused by formation of plaque known as “atherosclerosis”.
What are the signs & symptoms of Ischemic heart disease?
The signs & symptoms of Ischemic heart disease are given below in detail:
- Angina that creates pressure, burning, squeezing, or tightness during physical activities.
- Cold sweats
- Neck pain
- General weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Disturbance in sleep
- Pain in neck
What are the causes of Ischemic heart disease?
There are two main causes of Ischemic heart disease that are given below in details:
- Plaque buildup: When plaque is buildup in the arteries it is known as atherosclerosis. It happens when the arteries become harden and narrower reducing the blood flow to the heart. Small blood clots are formed in the small arteries.
- Molecular changes are seen in the small blood vessels: The molecular changes in the small vessels of the heart are due to normal aging process. It causes damage to the small vessels causing high blood pressure, diabetes, or chronic inflammation.
What are the types of Ischemic heart disease?
The Ischemic heart disease is mainly of three types that are mentioned below in detail:
- Obstructive coronary artery disease: This disease occurs when there is formation of plaque that is formed in the large arteries causing these arteries to become narrow. It reduces the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart. The flow of blood can completely block one or more than three large coronary artery.
- Non-obstructive Coronary artery disease: In this type, the large arteries are narrowed by plaque. Less than 50% obstruction of heart’s large arteries are caused by formation of plaque. It causes damage to the inner walls of the coronary arteries.
- Coronary microvascular disease: This type affects the small arteries of the heart. It can happen alone or with obstructive or non-obstructive coronary artery disease. This heart disease most often occurs when molecular changes in the microvascular system take place.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Ischemic heart disease?
According to Ayurveda, this disease comes under “Hridya roga” category. In this disease mainly kapha dosha is involved with the imbalanced state of vata & pitta dosha.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for Ischemic heart disease?
Ayurveda is the best way of healing any kind of chronic or acute disease. As ayurvedic treatment deals with root cause of the disease. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces “Ischemic Heart Care Kit”. This pack consists of five Ayurvedic medicines that are mentioned below in details:
- Detox Premium Powder: Detox premium powder is a herbo-mineral preparation containing extracts of various herbs & purified minerals. This ayurvedic formulation contain shukta pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, parval pishti, giloy satv, etc. These herbal ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, carminative, immuno-modulator, etc properties. The use of this herbal powder deals with the symptoms such as nausea, weakness, shortness of breath, anxiety related to ischemic heart disease patients.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Trikatu Syrup: Trikatu syrup is a pure herbal preparation containing extracts of three herbs Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), & Maricha (Piper nigrum). These three ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, digestive, carminative, immuno-modulator properties. The use of this syrup give good results in loss of appetite, weakness, & decreased metabolism associated with Ischemic heart disease patients.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful thrice daily.
- Vaat Nashik Vati: Vaat nashik vati is a herbal-mineral preparation containing abhrak bhasam, jahar mohra pishti, giloy etc. As imbalanced state of vata dosha is responsible for ischemic heart disease. So regular use of this tablet is good in relieving the symptoms.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Noni Capsule: Noni capsule are prepared from pure extract of herb Noni (Morinda citrifolia). The fruit of this herb is very good for heart patients. It deals with the signs & symptoms related to Ischemic heart disease.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
- Gokshuru Capsule: Gokshuru capsules are prepared from standardized extract of herb Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris). This herb helps in removing the blockage in the heart. The signs & symptoms related to Ischemic heart disease are treated with the use of this capsule.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma treatment for Ischemic heart disease?
Along with Ayurvedic medicines if panchakarma treatment is recommended to the Ischemic heart disease patient than fruitful results are seen. So here are some of the panchakarma therapies that are recommended:
- Patra potli pind sweda: In this procedure, a potli is wrapped with the medicated leaves after that it is dipped in lukewarm oil. Massage with this potli is done over whole body to increase the blood circulation in the body.
- Shashti shali pind sweda: In this procedure, a potli is wrapped with the shashti shali cooked rice. After that this potli is dipped in lukewarm medicated oil. This potli is massaged over the body of the patient to increase the blood circulation in the body.
- Uro-vasti: In this procedure, a ring is formed over the chest region of the patient. After that lukewarm oil id put in this ring several times with the help of sponge. The patient chest region is massaged with this medicated oil so that the blockage in the heart can be removed.
Healthy tips & lifestyle for Ischemic heart disease patients:
- Avoid fried, frozen, & processed food items.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid aerated drinks & alcohol.
- Include green vegetables & raw fruits in your diet.
- Avoid milk & milk products.
- Exercise & walk daily for half an hour at least.
- Do perform yoga & meditation for calming your mind & soul.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh