The word Janu stands for Knee region and Vasti means to cover the area or surround the area. Janu Vasti is a specialized procedure which is performed for the diseases related to the knee joint.
Firstly the patient is made to lie down on the massage table. Then a compartment of wheat flour or black gram powder is constructed around the knees and adhered with the same flour. Lukewarm medicated oil is poured into the compartment. When the oil gets cooled down, it is squeezed out using a cotton swab and then warm oil is poured into it. The procedure is carried out for about 30 minutes.
Janu Vasti is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ligamental tear of the knee joint
- Knee sprain
- Meniscal tear
- Popliteal cyst or baker’s cyst
Janu Vasti is found to be beneficial in following ways:-
- It helps in reducing pain and inflammation of the knee joint
- Removes the spasm and rigidity of the muscles around the knee joint
- Stops the degeneration of the knees
- Provides lubrication to the knees
- Protects the cartilage of the knee joint and nourishes the muscles, bones and nerves of the knee area.
- Increases the blood circulation around the knees.
- Helps in vasodilatation of the nerves around the area thereby ensuring proper supply of blood and oxygen on that area.
- Helps in improving the mobility and flexibility of the knee joints.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.