What is Herniated disc?
- A slipped or herniated disc refers to rupture or damage of the intervertebral disc due to any kind of pressure from the vertebra above and below it. These intervertebral discs acts as protective cushion like pads present between the vertebrae and act as shock absorbers. The most commonly found symptoms of herniated disc include pain, numbness and tingling in the affected area.
- Slipped disc usually occurs in the lumber (lower back) regions, but it may also affect the neck (cervical) and upper back (thoracic region )
What are the Symptoms of a Herniated disc?
Most common symptoms of herniated disc that are noticed among individuals include
- Pain and numbness on the affected area of the body
- Pain may be radiating in nature and may extends to your arms or legs
- Pain that worsens after standing or sitting
- Pain can aggravate at night or while doing certain movements or activities.
- Unexplained muscle weakness
- Tingling sensation, aching, or burning sensations in the affected area
Causes of Herniated disc
Factors which may play a role in causing herniated disc include
- Age – With increased age, the outer ring becomes weak or torn and allows the inner portion to slip out that because of herniated disc.
- Weight lifting– Lifting a very heavy object can put great strain on the lower back, resulting in a slipped disc.
- Overweight– Individuals having more weight are at increased risk for a herniated disc because their discs have to support the additional weight of the body.
- Injury– Any kind of injury that involves spine can lead to herniated disc.
Diagnosis of Herniated disc
Doctor can examine the condition by doing physical examination. Your doctor will take your medical history and ask about your symptoms.
Imaging tests can be helpful to view the bones and muscles of your spine and identify any damaged areas. Examples of imaging scans include:
- CT scans
- MRI scans
Treatment of Herniated disc
- In modern science, treatment can be done through medications or in more severe cases surgery is done.
- Medicines that are used to give symptomatic relief that include
- Pain relievers – like non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs
- Nerve tonics
Ayurvedic View of herniated disc
- The most common cause that leads to slipped disc is wear and tear due to increased age. Very rarely, it `occurs due to an injury to the backbone and intervertebral discs.
- As per Ayurveda ,with increased age, there is aggravation of vata occurs, that reduced the quality of body tissues, leads to degeneration of tissues and various other vata disorders. Ayurvedic remedies for slipped disc primarily focus on balancing this aggravated dosha and healing of the body tissues.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Herniated disc
- In Ayurveda treatment is done with the help of panchakarma procedures as well as with medicines.
- Panchkarma procedure involves many procedure like Abhyanaga (local massage) , Swedana ( Steaming), basti (enema ). And other procedures that depends upon the area affected like kati basti , greeva basti etc.
- Snehana & Swedana – These therapies involves the use of medicated oils or decoction through different procedures that widens the channels of body, liquefies ama (toxins) from tissues and mobilises it to the digestive tract. This toxins is then expelled out of the body using panchakarma therapies.
- Snehana & Swedana are considered as best to treat the aggravated vata dosha that relieves the heaviness, stiffness and is used as the main treatment for numerous disorders which makes it an effective therapy for the treatment of slipped disc. This procedure is helpful to reduce the pain and other symptoms related to the disease.
- Abhyanga (oil massage) is one of the commonly used treatments that balances the vitiated vata and strengthens bones, tissues and ligaments. It reduces the pain and enhances the natural healing power of the body
- Basti involves insertion of medicated oil or decoction through the rectal route. That helps in reduction of vata dosha from the root.
Ayurvedic herbs for slipped disc
There are many ayurvedic herbs that are effectively used to improve the overall strength of body. These herbs include
- Dashmool Dravya
These are the commonly used ayurvedic herbs in herniated disc. These herbs have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, nervine stimulant effect.
Dietary and lifestyle changes for slipped disc patient
- Perform breathing and relaxation exercises including yoga asanas like bhujangasana cobra pose), ushtrasana (camel pose) and setu bandhasana (bridge pose).
- Include meditation in your daily schedule.
- Maintain a proper posture while sitting or sleeping and take warm water baths.
- Do not take heavy meals, that are difficult to digest.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle.
- Avoid any kind of physical exertion after eating meals.
- Avoid overeating and excessive exposure to cold temperatures.
- Avoid eating chilled foods and cold drinks.
Ayurvedic treatment at Chandigarh Ayurved Centre
- In Modern science, use of medicinal as well as surgical treatment may not give permanent treatment but in Ayurveda you can get the permanent cure from this condition of herniated disc. So you should start treatment with Ayurveda where natural herbs are used that will deal with the root cause of disease.
- Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides Combination of medications as well as panchakarma procedures for the natural and safe treatment of herniated disc.
Medications that are used to treat herniated disc include
- Back care tablets
- Nerve Up Tablets
- Pain O Kill Tablets
- Pain O Kill Oil
- Panchaskara Churna
- Vata Balance Tablets
Why Choose CAC for treatment?
- Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing healthcare services from since 131 years of experience with fourth generation in the field of Ayurveda. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides you the most trust worthy services and has the best quality of products. We assure you to provide the best Ayurvedic and panchakarma treatment.
For more details you can visit our website