You must have seen the karanja plant near most of the rivers or drains. It looks like a very simple tree, but the truth is that Karanja has many benefits. If you do not know, then know that Karanja plant is used as a medicine. In the disease of baldness, eyes, teeth, Karanja is beneficial.
According to Ayurveda, benefits of Karanja are found in diseases like wounds, leprosy, stomach disease and piles.
What is Karanja?
Many species of Karanja are found; But mainly three species are used for medicine, which are: –
Use of oil derived from its seeds is very beneficial for skin diseases. Here all the benefits from Karanja have been written in very easy words (karanj in hindi) so that you can get full benefits from Karanja.
Kingdom: Plantae – Plants
Division: Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants
Species: Caesalpinia crista
Name of karanja in different languages
Botanical name of Karanja Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre. (Pongamia pinnata) Syn-Pongamia glabra Vent., Derris indica (Lam.) Is Bennet. It belongs to the Fabaceae (Fabaceae) clan. Karanja is also known by other names in the country or abroad: –
karanja in –
- Hindi – करञ्ज, करञ्जवा, किरमाल, पापर, दिठोरी
- English – स्मूथ लीव्ड पोंगेमिया (Smooth leaved pongamia), इण्डियन बीच (Indian Beech), Pongam oil tree (पोंग्म ऑयल ट्री)
- Sanskrit – करञ्ज, नक्तमाल, उदकीर्य :, गुच्छपुष्पक, घृतपूर्ण:, स्निग्धपत्र
- Urdu – करञ्जवह (Karanjvah)
- Oriya – कोनीआ (Konia), कोरोन्जो (Koronjo)
- Kannada – होंगे (Honge)
- Gujarati – कणझी (Kanjhi), करञ्ज (Karanj)
- Tamil – पुंगम् (Pungam), पुंगामरम् (Pungamaram), पुंकफ (Punku)
- Telugu – कागु (Kaagu), करनुगा (Karnuga)
- Bengali – डहर करञ्जा (Dahar karanja), केरूम (Kerum)
- Nepali – कारंगी (Karangi)
- Punjabi – सुखचेन (Sukhchen), पाफ्राप् (Pafri)
- Marathi – करञ्ज (Karanj), घनेरा करञ्ज (Ghanera karanj)
- Malayalam – पोन्नम् (Ponnam), पुंगामरम् (Pungamaram), उन्नेमरम् (Unnemaram)
Rasa: Kashaya, Tikta
Guna: Laghu, Ruksha
Karma: Kaphahara, Pittahara ,Vatahara
Karanja Tree Benefits and Uses
Karanja Oil Benefits in Baldness Problem
Massage the scalp with karanjali oil. It is beneficial in Indralupta (baldness problem). For best results, use with the advice of an Ayurvedic doctor.
Benefits of Karanja in baldness
Cook the paste of Karanja seed in milk and cool it. Filtering it and applying it like kajal in the eyes provides relief in eye diseases.
Uses of Karanja Tree to Treat Dental Disease
Burn the Karanja almanac and make it ash. Mixing salt in it and rubbing it on the teeth cures toothache (toothache).
Cure cough with medicinal properties of Karanja
Lick 1-3 grams of Karanja seed powder mixed with honey. It provides relief in cough.
Karanja Tree Benefits to Stop Vomiting
Make a decoction with the leaves of Karanja. Drinking Yavagu made from this prevents vomiting. For better results, please consult an Ayurvedic doctor.
Karanja Tree Uses in Increasing Appetite
Make a decoction of Karanja and gargle. Along with this, hunger is increased by doing toothpick (Datun) with Karanja wood. It ends anorexia towards food.
Karanja Tree Uses in Spleen Disease
Mix 65 mg Karanj Kshar, Vid Salt and 500 mg Puppali powder in 20-30 ml acidic acid. By taking it, there is benefit in Plehodar (problem of enlargement of spleen).
Karanja Oil Benefits to Cure Abdominal Disease
- Fry Karanja Falamja (1-2 grams). Add rock salt to it. Taking it relieves stomach pain.
- Peel off the seeds of Karanja and clean it. Give it the feeling of juice of euphorbia leaves. After that, dry it in the sun and take out the oil (karanj tel). By using this, stomach abscesses are cured.
- Applying grinded seeds, dry ginger and Vacha in a decoction of Karanja, cures stomach boils.
- Grind the powder of the seeds of Karanja without peel with the juice of Sehund. By applying it, the boils inside the stomach are cured.
Uses of Karanja in Wound Healing for wound healing
If insects have developed in the wound, mix juice of Karanja, Neem and Nirgundi and apply it. This kills insects.
Uses of Karanja for Sinus Disease
Wash sinus wounds with juice of Karanja, Neem, Jasmine, Bahera and Peelu. This causes the wound to heal (karanj ke fayde).
Benefits of Karanja tree in wart problem
Grind equal quantity of karanja, mustard and sesame. Applying this paste cures the wart.
Uses of Karanja to Cure Skin Disease
Take seed from the karanja plant. Skin diseases are cured by grinding seeds.
Uses of Karanja for Glowing Skin
Grind the seeds of Karanja in milk and apply it on the face, it brightens the face.
Karanja tree beneficial in the disease of blood bile
Mix honey and ghee in 1-3 gram powder of Karanja seed. Taking it provides relief in the problem of bleeding from the nose and ears.
Add curd water to the powder (1-3 gms) of rock salted karanja seeds. Drinking this for three days by lukewarm benefits in the problem of bleeding from nose and ears etc. (karanj ke fayde).
Mix 1-3 grams Karanja seed powder with sugar candy and honey. Taking it cures blood problems (problem of bleeding from nose and ears etc.).
Karanja Uses in Fighting with Fever
Grind the seeds and add water to it. Dripping it drop by drop in the navel provides relief in fever caused by Kaphaj disorder.
Benefit from Karanja tree when stinging scorpion
Grind the flowers of Karanja, Arjuna, Muchanmantak, Katabhi, Kutaj and Shirish in curd water. Applying it on scorpion bites, cures pain, burning and swelling etc.
Karanja benefits in scorpion bite
How to use Karanja?
Karanja should be used in such quantity: –
- Leaf juice – 10-20 ml
- Seed powder – 1-3 grams
Here all the benefits of Karanja have been written in very easy words (karanj in hindi) so that you can get the full benefit from Karanja, but take the advice of a doctor to use Karanja as a medicine. .
Where is Karanja found or grown?
Karanja plant is found at an altitude of up to 1200 meters all over India. It occurs on the banks of rivers and roads and in forests.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.