Panchkarma treatment for cold and cough : As per Ayurveda, imbalance in any of the three doshas (i.e. vata, pitta, kapha) can cause an ailment. In case of cold and cough, an excess of Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha in your body causes nasal congestion or runny nose and cough. We are blessed with numerous treatment of cold and cough in traditional Ayurvedic practice. Panchakrma is Ayurveda’s ancient cleansing and rejuvenation practice. In this article, we are introducing you with some herbs and panchakarma therapy to manage cold and cough:
NASYA KARMA (NASAL ADMINISTRATION)
The nose is the doorway to the brain and it is also the doorway to consciousness. The nasal administration of medication is termed “Nasya karma” in traditional medicine. This is a lesser-known but effective Ayurvedic treatment for cold and cough. In this technique, Ayurvedic herbal oil such as Anu tailam, Ginger, or Eucalyptus essential oil is used as a nasal drop. This helps clear the mucus in the nasal tract. If you want to solve cold problem then come at Chandigarh ayurveda centre. CAC provide best panchakarma treatment for cold and cough.
Synonyms of Nasyam-
- Shiro virechana
- Murdha virechana
- Shiro vireka
- Nasyam is a part of panchakarma treatment for upper respiratory tract cleansing used in Ayurvedic practice.
- This therapy is preferably done on empty stomach, before tea, coffee, at least 30 mints before bath, in the morning, after bowel evacuation.
- The treatment which is taken through the nose in the disease of upper respiratory tract is called Nasyam or Shirovirechana.
- Under this procedure phlegm is taken out. This process of administering herb infused oils into the nasal cavity helps to relieve cold and cough.
- After nasya karma give swedana do abhyanga over head and neck region.
- If any drug comes into the mouth, spit it.
- After completion of nasya, count 1-100 with concentrated mind.
- Then give kavala graha, gandusha and dhumapana.
- With luke warm water clean the mouth and throat.
- At last dhumapana is indicated.
- It is useful to clear the encoated kapha which is on the walls of the throat.
- One may use this treatment each morning and evening.
- In this way, breathing patterns will change as the emotions are released and the eyesight also will improve.
BENEFITS OF NASYA KARMA OR NASAL THERAPY
- Nasya lubricates nasal membrane and prevent bleeding from the nose.
- In addition, this treatment can be helpful in headaches, migraines, sinus congestion, allergies, and insomnia.
- It can also loosen up the mucus in your sinuses so that you can remove it from the nose more easily and helps relieve cold, nasal congestion and headaches.
- Pacifies VATA Dosha.
HERBAL STEAM INHALATION –
- Herbal steam therapy is a great way to clearing out mucus from the nasal channels, throat and lungs.
- Inhaling hot water vapors (steam) is a great Ayurvedic treatment for cold, running nose and chronic cough.
- Adding items such as salt, cloves, or Vicks to the water makes for steam can thin mucus and help it expells from nasal passage.
Read Also: Home Remedies for Cough and Cold
How to prepare herbal steam
- Boil 500 ml of water. Add two teaspoons of carom seeds (ajwain), 3 to 4 tulsi leaves, one tsp of turmeric and handful of mint leaves (pudina) in the water and boil it for 10-15 minutes.
- Once it’s boiled, take it off the stove and Cover your head with a towel, lean over the boiled water, and breathe in the steam.
- Repeat this procedure three to four times a day.
SINGLE DRUGS FOR COLD AND COUGH
Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum)
- To boost your immunity chew 5 to 6 Tulsi (holy basil) leaves in the morning.
Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Licorice, also known as “Sweet wood”, is an emphatic Ayurvedic herb for cold and cough.
- Mulethi churna (licorice powder) is helpful in managing wet cough, sore throat and excessive production of mucus in the airway.
- It thins and loosens the mucus inside the airways due to its expectorant property.
- Mulethi eases coughing and reduces congestion.
Pippali (Piper longum)
- Pippali is an excellent Ayurvedic herb in managing cough and cold.
- Long pepper loosens mucus and helps to cough it out, due to its expectorant property.
- Studies shows that pippali provide relief from headache and congestion associated with common cold.
Saunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Sounth is one of the main ingredients of herbal cough syrups.
- Mixture of Dry ginger with honey, acts as a soothing remedy for cold and cough.
- This herb helps get rid of sore throat due to its anti-inflammatory properties
- This woody aromatic spice is loaded with numerous health benefits and one of them is relief from cold and cough.
Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Haritaki powder boiled in water is a traditional remedy to treat cold in children and effective for adults too.
- Haritaki helpful in treating sore throat, dry cough, and discharge mucus due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)-
- Giloy also called Amrita or Guduchi and the most effective herb to boost immunity.
- It helps manage cold and cough caused due to allergic reactions to pollutants, smoke or pollen.
- In addition, helps to cope with cold and tonsillitis.
Read Also: Besan Ka Sheera cough or cold
- Honey has antimicrobial properties, it is not only exquisite for your taste buds but also helps ease sore throat.
- It is an effective cough suppressant.
- Honey gives relief from chest congestion by loosening thick mucus and helps reduce wet cough.
Avoid foods of cold nature –
Food items of a cold nature such as curd, banana, cold juices, etc. should be avoided as they are known to aggravate cold.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.