Pear scientific name Pyrus and family Rosacea. The pear is an ancient fruit eaten since pre-historic times. Older varieties of pear had a hardened flesh that required few hours of cooking to soften. Pear is a typical fruit of temperate climates, with the delicate pleasant taste it has a wide acceptance throughout the world. The pear is mainly consumed in pies, cakes, accompanying strong cheese or Carpaccio, risotto, jams, and ice creams and it is a great fruit to be consumed in diets because of its low caloric value. Pear has high nutritional value with reasonable amounts of vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, and C and minerals like sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and iron. Pear has a lot of fibers, giving excellent results in constipation and intestine inflammation. Pears also cure anomalies such as cystitis and kidney stones.
Other names of pear
- Max Red
- Royal Riviera
- Bartlett Pear
NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF PEAR
Pears contain essential nutrients and minerals that are required for our body. A 100gm of pear contains.
- Calories – 57
- Carbohydrates – 15 grams
- Total Fat – 0.1 gram
- Protein – 0.4 gram
- Dietary Fiber – 3.1 gram
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PEAR
- Skin and Hairs – Vitamin A is the most versatile nutrient. It is beneficial for keeping the skin, hair, and nails healthy and beautiful. Pears contain good amounts of vitamin A that help in keeping your skin and hair healthy. It is also enriched with nutrients like zeaxanthin and lutein that help in organ functions and enzymatic reactions also helps in keeping the skin youthful and reduces dark spots and wrinkles. Healthy skin and hair should be maintained by increasing intake of vitamin A.
- Bone health – Pear contains copper, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium all these play a crucial role in bone health. These minerals might be required in very little amounts but plays an important role in keeping the bones strong. People with osteoporosis are advised to include pears in their diet it helps to prevent and treat debilitating conditions and bone mineral loss. Pear ensures that your bones are getting enough minerals to grow and protect against inflammation and other conditions.
- Reduce inflammation – Pears are rich in flavonoids and antioxidant components. The anti-inflammatory properties of pear help in reducing swelling and pain associated with inflammation. People suffering from symptoms like gout, arthritis should eat pears to ease the symptoms and prevent them from worsening, also improving the quality of life.
- Improving blood circulation – Pears beneficial for patients suffering from mineral deficiencies like anemia. Pears are high in iron and copper content. It helps to increase the levels of iron in the body and boost the synthesis of red blood cells. On the other hand, the increased levels of copper in the body facilitate the synthesis of essential minerals and the absorption of iron into the system. If your body has sufficient minerals to support the organs, one can prevent muscle weakness, cognitive malfunction, fatigue, and organ system malfunction.
- Help in healing – Pears are a good source of vitamin C and thus helping in wound healing. Ascorbic acid helps in synthesizing the cellular structures of the body and new tissues in the various organs of the body. So, whenever there is any burn or cut it makes sure that the damaged area is healed quickly. If you are injured, you can include pears in your diet that help in fast healing.
- Heart health – Pears are one of the fruits that have an inverse relationship with stroke risk. Since pear fruit high in potassium it means it has a significant impact on the health of the heart. Potassium acts as a vasodilator that helps in lowering blood pressure. This results in increased blood flow in all parts of the body and providing oxygen to organs. This oxygenation of the organs promotes effective function. Heart patients add pear to their daily diet to prevent heart disease, also, the high fiber content in pears ensures good heart health.
- Boosting immunity – Vitamin C and Vitamin A found in pears, which help in boosting your immunity. Pears are a rich source of vitamin C minerals that have great antioxidant properties. Antioxidants property help in stimulating the production of white blood cells (fighting cell), which are helping to build the immune system and makes your immune system stronger, allowing your body to fight with conditions like, flu, cold upset stomach, and more. Also, due to its free-radical destroying activity and antioxidant property prevent any damage caused by free radicals.
- Lower the risk of diabetes – There are many varieties of pears. The red varieties of pear are helpful in reducing the risk of diabetes. Peels of pear contains anthocyanin that exhibits both anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetes effects. Moreover, a pear is a fibrous fruit, it slows down the digestion process and giving your body more time to break down and absorb carbs. As a result, body blood sugar levels regulate properly and helping you to control and prevent diabetes
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.