Sarvanga means whole body and abhyanga means massage. Sarvanga Abhyanga is a process in which massage is done to the whole body with the help of medicated oils and ghrits as a preventive and curative therapy. Warm oils deeply penetrate into the cells and release physical, mental and spiritual toxins, hence sarvanga abhyanga works as detoxifying as well as healing cellular therapy.
Firstly the patient is asked to void his bowel and bladder. Patient is advised to be calm and concentrate on self. Prescribed oil is taken in a vessel and warmed indirectly in a hot water bath. The oil is then taken by the therapist in the palm is applied over the body in seven different positions- sitting, lying on the back, left lateral, lying on the stomach, right lateral, lying on the back, sitting. During the massage, synchronized circular movements are done over the joints, abdomen and chest and downward strokes are done over the hands and legs. Pressure applied to the patient should be according to the patient’s comfort. After the massage, the patient is given rest for about 5 minutes followed by steam bath.
Sarvanga Abhyanga is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Pain and stiffness in the muscles
- Frozen shoulder
- Swelling or oedema in the body
- Generalized weakness
- Rehabilitation after injury or surgery
- Decreased range of motion
Sarvanga Abhyanga proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It relaxes the whole body
- Relieves tiredness and pain in the muscles
- Increases the blood circulation
- Fastens the recovery process
- Increases longetivity.
- It removes dirt from the skin hence improves the tone of the skin
- Promotes better sleep
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Provides strength to the immune system