SINUSITIS – YOGA ASANAS
- January 28, 2023
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
Acute inflammation of the sinus mucous membrane is called as sinusitis. Sinuses are four paired cavities in the head . they are connected by narrow channels .The most commonly involved sinus is maxillary sinus followed by ethmoid, frontal and sphenoid. The sinuses make this thin mucous that drains out from channels of nose . Drainage helps in to keep the nose clean and free of bacteria. It is also called rhinosinusitis .
- Nasal infection.
- Dental infection
- Obstruction to sinus ventilation and drainage .
- Nasal polyp
- Deviated nasal septum
- Nasal tumour
- Previous attack of sinusitis.
- Weak immune system .
Symptoms of sinusitis:
- Runny nose
- Stiffness around nose
- Sore throat
- Bad breathe
- Post nasal dripping
- Eye, ear or facial pain.
Types of Sinusitis :
- Acute bacterial sinusitis: it is a condition in which sudden onset of symptoms such as runny nose , facial pain, watering from eyes,ear fullness ,anosmia . It has a shortest duration and last upto 4 weeks .
- Subacute sinusitis : it may last upto 12 weeks .it is commonly occurs with seasonal allergies or bacterial infection .
- Chronic sinusitis : It is a condition in which nasal congestion, facial pain and decrease sense of smell .it may last upto more than 12 weeks . Halitosis , Post nasal drip is a symptom of chronic sinusitis .
- Recurrent sinusitis: It is a condition in which symptoms come back four or more times in one year .
Diagnosis of sinusitis
- On the basis of History taking
Ayurvedic approach for Sinusitis :
In Ayurveda sinusitis can be related to Dushta Pratishyaya , in which the vitiation of kapha dosha along with dushti of prana vata. It is characterized by nasasrava, shirashoolam,jwara, klama, etc.
Panchkarma procedures for sinusitis :
Healthy tips and diet for sinusitis :
- Water: drink plenty of water .
- Pineapple : it is rich in antioxidants that protect the delicate mucus membrane from damage . the enzymes in pineapple also break down the junk that builds up in sinuses and reduces the inflammation.
- Garlic: It act as a antibacterial, antifungal.
- Coconut oil: It is very good at reducing inflammation and kills bacteria ,viruses, and fungi.
- Exposure to sunlight: It is the best way to increase the level of vitamin –D , which helps in an inflammatory response and to prevent viruses and infections in the sinuses.
- Exercise: It improves circulation and boost energy .
Yoga asana for sinusitis:
Anulom vilom pranayama :
- Sit down in padamasana and close eyes .
- Spine straight.
- Fold your right middle or index finger and put the hand toward your nose .
- Place thumb on the right nostril and the right finger on left nostril.
- Use the right thumb to close right nostril and slowly begin to inhale with left nostril .
- Whwn you feel that your lungs are full of air , close left nostril with right finger and keep your right nostril closed . Hold breathe as long as you can.
- Move thumb away from right nostril and exhale from it.
- Focus on your breathe all time.
- Repeat the same process from another 3-5 minutes.
- It helps in calm the mind
- Improves memory.
- Improve immunity.
- Lie in prone position .
- Legs close together with feet and heels touch each other.
- Put both hands in a way that palms are touch the ground under shoulders, elbow should be parallel and closed to torso.
- Take a deep breathe in and slowly lift your head , chest, and abdomen.
- Keep navel on the floor .
- Pull your torso back and off the floor with the support of hands .
- Putting equal pressure on both palms.
- Keep breathing with awareness.
- Straighten arms by arching your back as possible , tilt your head back, look up.
- Maintain this pose till 4-5 breathes.
- Breathe out and bring abdomen, chest , head back to the floor and relax.
- Repeat 4-5 times.
- Stimulates the digestive system and relieves constipation.
- Spine stronger and more flexible.
- Energizes the heart.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Strengths muscle of chest , shoulders, arms, abdomen.
- Sit comfortably with spine straight . place hand on knees with palms open toward the sky.
- Take deep breathe in.
- When you exhale pull your navel toward the spine.
- Whwn you relax the navel and abdomen breathe flows into your lungs. Automatically.
- 20 breathe to comple one round of kapalbhati .
- After completing it one round relax with closed eyes and observe sensation in body.
- Increase the metabolic rate
- Helps in weight loss.
- Improve blood circulation
- Helps in calm the mind.
- Enhance the lung capacity and make stronger.
- Sit on the floor stretching your leg and keep spine erect and palms on the ground side by the buttocks.
- Bend your leg by the keens and sit on your heels placing the buttocks in between the heels, the right big toe overlapping the left toe .
- keeping your knees in line with the shoulders and sole of the feet facing downward
- Put hand on thighs.
- Inhale and arch your back and put your palms on the heels of the feet.
- Keep your arms straight.
- Do not strain your neck keep it neutral. Neck will be free.
- Stay in this final position for couple of breaths or as much you can do it with easy way .
- Breathe out and slowly come to normal position withdrawing your hands from the feet.
- Imroves flexibility of spine and strengthens it.
- Improves digestion
- Gives relaxation to the lower back.
- Reduces abdomen fat.
- Thyroid and parathyroid.
- Menstrual problems.
5. Bhastrika Pranayama
- Sit in cross legged
- Make a fist and fold arms placing near the shoulders.
- Deep breathe, raise hands straight up, and open fist.
- Exhale forcefully and bring your arms down next to shoulders and close your fist.
- Continue for 20 breathe.
- Relax palm on thighs.
- Take a normal breathe .
- Repeat it again two times.
- It help in energzies the body and mind.
- It help in sinus, and other respiratory disorders.
- Remove toxin and impurities.
- Practice it on empty stomach .
- Pregnant women should avoid it.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.