- November 4, 2020
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
The big hand behind the energy and freshness of the day is a good night’s sleep. It is common to remain tired and restless the next day due to lack of sleep. There may be many reasons behind the lack of sleep, such as anxiety, stress, lack of mind and any other illness. One such cause can be sleep apnea. Sleep apnea makes it difficult to breathe in sleep, causing frequent sleeplessness at night.
What is sleep apnea ?
Sleep apnea is called shortness of breath occurring in sleep. Actually, apnea means ‘without breath’. In this problem, there is frequent obstruction in the upper airways of the person’s airways, due to which the air flow is not properly. This blockage lasts for about 10 seconds and can open sleep for a few seconds with a deep breath, but the person suffering from sleep apnea does not realize it.
Types of sleep apnea
There are two types of sleep apnea, which are as follows:
Obstructive sleep apnea: This is the most common type of sleep apnea. It obstructs the airways and causes difficulty in breathing. According to one report, 90–96 percent of cases of sleep apnea occur in obstructive sleep apnea.
Central Sleep Apnea: This is a rare type of sleep apnea. In this, the brain stops sending signals to the muscles that control the breath for some time. Due to this, it becomes difficult to breathe.
Note: In some rare situations a person may have both types of sleep apnea simultaneously. Such a condition is called obese hypoventilation syndrome .
Causes of sleep apnea
- Obesity can be caused due to sleep apnea
- Oversized tonsils
- Increased level of growth hormone
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (hormone disorder)
- Neuromuscular disease
- Kidney problem
- Abnormalities of birth (cleft lips, Down syndrome)
- Congenital central hypoventilation syndrome
- premature birth
- Brain infection
- Spine problem
- Certain types of medicines like narcotic
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- More sleep during the day
- Loss of focus, alertness and concentration
- Problem memorizing words and recognizing previously seen things
- Dry mouth and headache on waking
- Low interest in sex
- Waking up often at night to urinate
In addition to the cause of sleep apnea, there may be some risk factors, which are mentioned.
Risk factors of sleep apnea –
- Older age: The risk of sleep apnea also increases with age.
- Men: Men are more prone to sleep apnea than women.
- Unhealthy lifestyle: Smoking, alcohol, unbalanced diet and non-exercise etc. can also contribute to the cause of sleep apnea.
- More than 30 body mass index
- Menopause i.e. after menopause
- Sleeping pills
After the causes and risk factors of sleep apnea, let us now tell you about the treatment of sleep apnea.
Home remedies for sleep apnea
As you have known, sleep apnea is a serious problem. If you are looking for home remedies for sleep apnea treatment for sleep apnea treatment, this is not possible. This is because it is difficult to correct this problem with the help of home remedies. In such a situation, it would be better to seek medical advice without delay, so that a proper step can be taken in the direction of sleep apnea treatment.
After knowing about the types, symptoms and treatment of sleep apnea, we are now telling what kind of diet should be taken in this problem.
What to avoid during sleep apnea
People suffering from sleep apnea are advised to remove the following foods from their diet
- Fried foods
- High fat foods
- High fat meat
- Eat more sweet
- Bakery products like cakes etc.
What to eat during sleep apnea ?
- Whole grains
- Green vegetables
- The nuts
- Olive oil
Along with treating sleep apnea, it is also important to know how to avoid it.
Prevention Tips for Sleep Apnea
Avoiding the cause of sleep apnea is one of the most important ways to avoid it. In addition, you can avoid sleep apnea by adopting a healthy lifestyle, such as:
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Do not smoke and consume alcohol.
- Keep your weight under control.
- Sleeping on time and waking up on time.
- Do regular exercise.
If someone in your family or acquaintance complains of sleep apnea or you have experienced symptoms of sleep apnea yourself, you may also be suffering from sleep apnea. In such a situation, see your doctor immediately for sleep apnea treatment.
Yoga and exercise
- Throat exercises reduce the severity of sleep apnea by strengthening the muscles in the airways, and reducing their chances of collapse.
- Place your tongue flat against the roof (palate) of your mouth and brush it in the upper back and sides. Repeat the brushing action five times, do this three times a day.
- Stick your tongue with the palate once a day for three minutes and apply pressure on the palate with the tongue.
- Keep one finger inside the mouth. Keep the finger opposite the cheek and pull the muscles of the cheek in at the same time. Repeat 10 times, take a pause, and then on the other cheek. Do this entire process three times.
- Close your lips in a kissing state. Keep your lips firmly together and first move right up and 10 times, then move up and down 10 times. Do this process three times.
- Place your lips on the balloon. Breathe deeply through your nose and inflate the balloon as much as you can while expelling air from the mouth. Repeat the balloon five times without removing it from the mouth.
- Aerobic activities (walking, swimming, biking), strength training (weight lifting), and exercises that increase flexibility (stretching) are helpful in maintaining proper weight.
Stress care tablet
It is an amazing combination of natural herbs like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stress conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to increase the mental and physical performance. Maintain stress level,Provide strength to the nervous system, Good in neurological problems, Works in anxiety, loneliness, insomnia, sleep, Memory loss, and Palpitations. In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. vata, pitta and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. Tarpak Kapha subtype of kapha, governs cerebrospinal fluid, sadhak pitta subtype of pitta doshas governs emotions and their impact on the heart. So any vitiation of these doshas leads to stress.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Brodley syrup is considered as 100% natural, pure, organic and has no coloring, artificial flavors, and preservatives. It is an excellent source for inducing sleep in a natural way. The syrup contains herbs like – Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. It is rich in anti-oxidants and good for the functioning of your brain and improves the nerve functioning.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice a day with normal water.
Detox Standard Powder
It is a mixture of natural herbs especially made for relaxation of mind and enhances the quality of sleep. The powder consists of ingredients like– Giloy satva, Jahar mohra, Gandhak rasayan, Shukta pishti, etc. This remedy helps to reduce fatigue and an excellent health promoter. Detox standard powder is mainly used in conditions such as restlessness, headache, weakness of heart muscles, depression, high blood pressure, etc. Regular use of the medicine subsides all the above mentioned conditions and improves the sleep.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
Mann Mitra tablet
It is herbal and purely Ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and help to balance all the three doshas of body i.e vata, pitta, kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It is helpful for making the nervous system strong and nerves as well. It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress. It works as a antioxidant, anti depressant, immuno booster, anti epileptic and as neuro protective drug. The main ingredients are Ashwagandha, Vacha, Jeevak, Bala, Swaran bhasma. It shows effective results in Insomnia, Sleep disturbances, Anxiety, Stress booster, Immuno modulator, Schizophrenia and Panic attack.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation for curing the various diseases. It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect and calm the mind. It includes – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Holostemma tuber, cardamom fruit, etc. It mainly balances the Kapha dosha and is beneficial in diseases of head, brain, face, nose, and eyes. Its use is generally recommended in chronic headache, problem of migraine, sinusitis, improves the voice, and vocal cords. Anu tailam gives effective results to asthma patients.
Recommended Dosage – Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.