What’s the Difference between Orange and Kinu?
Tangerine are often pronounced as Kinoo or Kinu. This fruit is a high yield mandarin & is a hybrid of 2 citrus cultivators ‘King’ and ‘Willow Leaf’.
It’s juicier than oranges and is majorly grown in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Rajasthan and even Haryana.
You can think of a Tangerine as the foreign cousin of desi orange, as they are having a lot of difference biologically.
|Hybrid – Citrus reticulate and citrus maxima||Hybrid – Citrus deliciosa and citrus nobilis|
|Colour– Varies from saffron to light orange colour||Colour- It is generally dark in colour|
|Skin- Very light and thin skin that you can easily peel and are thus easily susceptible to sunburn.||Skin- It has a thicker skin that’s tight as well and less prone to sunburn.|
|COST- Orange is costlier than the kinnow.||COST- They are cheaper as compared to oranges and they have a high yield.
Seeds- kinnow have more seeds
|TASTE- Oranges are known to be sweet in taste||Taste- Juicier than orange and has more Swetish-sour taste|
BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION of Tangerine or Kinnow-
BOTANICAL NAME- Citrus reticulata
COMMON NAME- Kinnow, Kinu
The name of the fruit was first used for the fruits coming from Tangier, Morocco, described as a mandarin variety. Some differs in disease resistance.
Shape– They are smaller and less rounded than common oranges.
Taste- Sweeter, Less sour and stronger, than that of an orange.
A ripe tangerine– It is firm to slightly soft and having pebbly-skinned with no deep grooves, as well as orange in color.
Skin or Peel- It is thin, white mesocarp is little bitter.
Peak season of tangerine– Autumn to spring.
Method of eating- They can be peeled and eaten by hand.
Fresh fruit – It is also used in salads, desserts and main dishes. The peel is used fresh or dried as a spice or zest for baking and drinks. Fresh tangerine juice and frozen juice concentrate is more commonly available in the United States.
Nutrients Value and Constituents-
A Medium size Kinnow contains approx 85% water
13% and almost negligible amounts of fat and protein
Micronutrients– It is rich in Vitamin C content and all other nutrients in low amounts.
Outer Skin/Peel of Tangerine- It constitutes of fat, protein, ash, magnesium, carotenoids, dietary fiber and polyphenols.
Juice concentrate- beta-cryptoxanthin xanthophyll esters (zeaxanthin and lutein)
It also contains carotenoids, such as beta-cryptoxanthin.
Mandarin (Citrus reticulata Blanco) contains limonoids, including obacunone 17 beta-D-glucopyranoside, nomilinic acid 17 beta-D-glucopyranoside, limonin, nomilin, and a limonoid glucoside mixture.
MEDICINAL BENEFITS OF KINNOW-
- Anti-Poisonous- It is an effective anti-poison medicine.
Fresh juice of kinnow- consumed on an empty stomach enhances appetite and also stimulates the pancreas functions.
- It is Rich in mineral salts, daily consumption of kinnow fruit helps in alleviating acidity.
- According to nutritionists, this fruit is very effective for those who live a sedentary lifestyle.
- Anti-cancerous and Antioxidant properties- The anti-oxidant properties of kinnow not only reduce chances of cancer but also help in lowering the risk of HIV i.e having Anti-HIV Properties.
- Good For Intestines- Consuming too much of junk and foods which are loaded with harmful chemicals due to which the outer layering of intestine becomes thick with a layering of those harmful chemicals and in that situation fruits like kinnow helps in reducing sluggishness of intestines.
- Vibadhata or Constipation- This fruit is also helpful in chronic constipation because of presence of high roughage content. It is suggested to consume the fresh fruit at least twice a day for effective results.
- Metabolism– The mineral and vitamins present in this fruit enhances your overall metabolism
Skin Problems- Orange and kinnow both helps you attain a flawless and glowing skin. The skin of fruit can be used for body scrubbing.
CAC ORANGE CREAM- It is clinically tested and also available at Amazon. You can try it if you want Magical Effects to your Skin.
CAC ORANGE CREAM
- Cholesterol- This fruit is helpful in lowering the levels of cholesterol. According to the experts, it improves the level of good cholesterol and it reduces the bad cholesterol level in the body.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.