The Apricots are absolutely delicious fruit. Intake of Apricots can be in two different forms-
- FRESH WET FORM– Directly from the tree.
- DRY FORM- After drying of the fresh fruit in sun
- 175 degrees Fahrenheit or 79 degree Celsius will work well for drying up the apricots.
It is the national fruit of Armenia, mostly it’s grown in the Ararat plain. It is often depicted on souvenirs.
SUN DRIED APPRICOTS-
SCIENTIFIC NAME- Prunus armeniaca
HIGHER CLASSIFICATION- Plum
CONSERVATION STATUS- Endangered (Population is decreasing)
FAMILY- ROSACEAE (ROSE FAMILY)
COMMON NAME- Apricot
Hindi name- Khubani, Khumani
Kannada- Aepricot, Jaradaalu
Urdu- Khubani, Maghz badam shirin
It is a small tree.
HEIGHT of tree- 8–12 meter (26–39 feet) tall
Height of trunk- 40 centimeter (16 inch) in diameter with a dense, spreading canopy.
LEAVES- Shape- Ovate and 5–9 centimeter (2.0–3.5 in)in Length and 4–8 cm (1.6–3.1 in) width, base is round and tip is pointed with finely serrated margin.
FLOWERS- 2–4.5 centimeter (0.8–1.8 in) in diameter, with 5 white- pinkish petals. In Early Spring they are produced singly or in pairs before the leaves.
FRUIT- It is drupe having similarity with small peach and having a diameter of 1.5–2.5 cm (0.6–1.0 in) (sometimes its larger in some modern cultivars)
Color– yellow to orange, often tinged red when ripened by exposure to the sun
Surface– Smooth (botanically called as: glabrous) or Velvety touch with very short hairs (botanically called pubescent).
Flesh- Firm and not very juicy
Taste- Ranges from sweet to tart.
SEED- Single seed is enclosed in a hard or stony shell called a “stone” or “kernel“. The texture is grainy, smooth texture exception is the three ridges running down one side.
- Nutrients- It is enriched with carbohydrate, it is good source of fibers, protein, minerals & vitamins.
- It is very rich in bioactive phytochemicals that have certain roles
- In the biological system and shows some effects in prevention of Oxidative stresses.
- It carries a reasonable amounts of dietary fiber as it provides necessary roughage and bulk to the food.
- It stimulates normal gastric mobility thus preventing constipation.
- Soluble fiber present in it helps to lowers blood cholesterol.
- It maintains blood sugar level and helps in reducing body weight.
- Essential minerals- Major elements are potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, iron & selenium, while sodium, manganese, zinc and copper are also present in small amounts
- Vitamins- pro- vitamin A, vitamins C, K, E, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pyridoxine(B6), folic acid (B9) and pantothenic acid.
- Organic acids – malic acid, tartaric, succinic,
- oxalic, galacturonic, quinic, malonic, acetic and fumaric
- Phytochemicals- Its fruit contains following Phytochemicals- aspolyphenols (phenolic acids and flavonoids) and carotenoids.
- Phenolic compounds- It plays an important role for the living system. The polyphenols and carotenoids are present in Apricots.
They are small but having mouthwatering Flavor and enriched with nutrition and Boost up your digestive Health.
- They are highly nutritious and low in calories
- Enriched with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Full of Antioxidants
- It promotes your eye health i.e. because of Vitamin A(Prevents Night blindness) and Vitamin E(Fat soluble antioxidants that enters directly and protect from free radicals)
- Due to presence of Vitamin A and C this fruit gives you natural glow i.e. boost up your skin health.
- Promotes your gut health.
- High potassium content is found in Apricots which lowers your Blood pressure hence preventing heart attacks.
- It hydrates your body as it is having high water content.
- It protects your liver from oxidative stress and prevents the Liver damage.
- Good choice for diabetics as they are quite low in calories and dietary fiber present in it can regulate the blood sugar level.
- It fights against inflammation so it is helpful in Irritable Bowel Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
- It can ease the symptoms of accumulation of fat in the liver or in case of Fatty liver.
- The fiber content in the Apricot fruit lowers the levels of cholesterol and prevents your heart-related diseases like atherosclerosis.
- Good source of iron content in this fruit can be used as a preventive measure against Anemia.
- Nutrients that are present in this fruit stimulates certain brain cells (known as tanycytes) which make us feel full and control your appetite which further aids in Weight loss and maintain good metabolism.
- It is full of nutrient so can be used during pregnancy in a moderate amount.
- This fruit is good for your Bone health as it is rich in Calcium, potassium and other minerals.
- It aids in Respiratory problems like Cold, Flu, Asthma etc.
- It is used to treat skin disorders and delay the Signs of ageing.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.