TONSILITIS – YOGA ASANAS
- January 28, 2023
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
It is the infection(inflammation) of tonsils . Tonsils are the two oval shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat. Along with adenoids ,tonsils are the part of lymphatic system . The lymphatic system clears away infection and maintain body fluid in balance. It work by trapping the germs comin in through mouth and nose.
SYMPTOMS OF TONSILITIS:
- Red, swollen tonsils.
- Sore throat.
- White or yellow covering fix on tonsils.
- Halitosis .
- Neck becomes stiff.
- Painful and difficult swallowing .
- Loss of Appetite.
- Ear pain.
- Painful blisters or ulcers on your throat.
TYPES OF TONSILLITIS:
1 Acute tonsillitis:
It usually last frpm 3-4 days but can last upto 2 weeks.
2. Recurrent Tonsillitis : Tonsillitis occur several times in a year .
3.Chronic tonsillitis: Long term tonsil infection.
CAUSES OF TONSILLITIS:
- It is mostly caused by viruses but bacterial infection can also be the cause .
- Viruses like colds and flus cause tonsillitis.
- Bacteria such as streptococcus which can cause strep throat.
RISK FACTOR :
- Age: Tonsilitis is more occur in children as compare to adult . It is mostly caused by bacteria and common in 5-15 years of age.
- Germ Exposure: School age children are most susceptible to close contact with their friends and exposed to viruses or bacteria that can cause tonsillitis.
COMPLICATION OF TONSILLITIS :
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
- Tonsillar cellulitis .
- Collection of pus behind the tonsil.
- Middle ear infection.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Gargle with warm saline water.
- Avoid smoke.
- Wash hands properly from time to time.
- Avoid sharing food
- Use mask properly.
AYURVEDIC VIEW OF TONSILLITIS :
According to ayurveda tonsillitis is compared to galaayu in which there is accumulation of ama dosha and vitiation of kapha dosha which is due to impaired digestion and it results in weaken immune system .It is characterized by shushka kasa , swelling of tonsil, jwara, Pain in throat and ear .
CAUSES IN AYURVEDA:
Aaharaja : Excessive utilization of Matsya (fish), Mulam (crude radish), Masa (urad dal), Dadhi (curds), Ksira (milk), Sukta, Iksurasa (sugarcane juice), and Phanitha. Large numbers of these Aharas are having Madhura Rasa or are of Amla Rasa. So these reason the vitiation of Kapha dosha
Viharaja : Dwishato Dantadhavana (ill-advised dental cleanliness), Dhuma (ill-advised Dhumpana), Gandusa (ill-advised washing), Siravyadha
GOOD HERBS FOR TONSILLITIS:
1. Chamomile tea: it has anti inflammatory ,antioxidant properties that reduce swelling.
2. Peppermint: it has anti inflammatory , antibacterial , antiviral properties that helps in fight with bacteria .
3. Fenugreek: It kills bacteria and helps in to relieve pain .
4. Garlic: it has antiseptic properties that bhelp relieve sore throat pain .
5. Ginger: it has anti inflammatory properties that provide pain relief.
YOGA ASANAS FOR TONSILLITIS:
- Sit in padmasana.
- Lie down flat on your back and keep feet together.
- Place hands on the floor and palm facing downward .
- Move your hands beneath your thighs , close to buttocks.
- Place forearm firmly on the floor and chest lift up by weighing down on your elbows.
- When chest is on the floor than lower your head back till it touches the floor.
- Ensure that your elbow and not your head ,bear the weight of torso.
- Breathe comfortably and maintain posture for a minute .
- To remove this posture lift your head off the floor and straighten back.
- Lower torso on the floor and relax your body.
- Detoxifies the body.
- Reduce abdominal fat.
- Do not overextend the leg.
- Suffering from high blood pressure or low blood pressure.
2. SIMHASANA :
- Kneel on the floor with feet in line and hip resting on them .
- Soles facing upward.
- Keep your head and spine erect with the knee about 6-12 inches apart.
- Press your palm on the knees with the finger extended straight.
- Open your mouth full.
- Exhale through nose and mouth. And tongue comfortably out of mouth curving it toward the chin.
- Hold your breathe with abdomen pulled in. widen your eyes bare teeth, and stretch facial muscles .
- Remain in this pose for 10 seconds .
- Relieves tension in face and chest.
- Improves circulation.
- Keep eyes healthy.
- Help into treat halitosis
- Prevents asthma.
- Wrist injury.
- Suffer from chronic illness or physical problems.
- Lie in prone position.
- Spread the legs apart, so that feet are 18-24 inches from one another.
- Heels are opposite to each other .
- Thigh, abdomen and chest are rest on the ground and fold your arms and forms a triangle under the face . the palms of hand clasp opposite shoulder.
- The head rest on the triangle formed by elbow and shoulder.
- Deep breathing stay in this position for 10-15 minutes.
- Stress relieving.
- Helps to improvr circulation.
- Helps to treat sore throat, asthma.
- Second or third trimester of pregnancy.
- Wrist injury.
- Lower back injury.
- Stand straight.
- Feet apart and arms on the side ,palm facing and touching the thighs .
- Inhale, raise right arm slowly up to shoulder level , palm facing down with elbow straight.
- Turn the palm upwards and raise the hand in a straight line touching the ear.
- Exhale, bend as far as possible to the left.
- Maintain it for few seconds . than return to normal position.
- Same position is done on other side.
- Increases stability.
- Stretches and lengthens the spine.
- Improves digestion .
- Relieves back pain.
- Improve blood circulation.
- Reduce fat.
- Avoid if suffering from
- knee , back or neck injury.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.