- Vitiligo is a chronic disorder that causes loss of skin color in patches.
- The discolored areas usually get bigger with time.
- It can affect any part of the body skin and the inside of the mouth.
- It is the result of the skin’s melanocytes the cells responsible for giving the skin color being destroyed.
VITILIGO CAN BE
- Generalized – It is the most common type when macules appear in various places on the body.
- Segmental – it is restricted to one side of the body such as hands or face.
- Mucosal – which affects mucous membranes of the mouth or genitals area.
- Focal – it is the rare type, do not spread in a certain pattern.
- Trichome – the macule have white or colorless center, lighter pigmentation, and normally skin.
- Universal – rare type of vitiligo.
- Autoimmune disorder – The person with vitiligo, immune system develop antibodies that destroy melanocytes.
- Genetic factors – vitiligo can be inherited. About 30% – 40% cases of vitiligo run in families.
- Neurogenic factors – A substance that is toxic to melanocytes may be released at nerve endings in the skin can effect vitiligo.
- Self-destruction – A defect in the melanocytes destroy themselves.
HOME REMEDIES FOR VITILIGO
1. Papaya – Papaya is a delicious and beneficial fruit for health.
- It is effective against vitiligo.
- Take a pieces of papaya rub on the patches of skin affected. Wash when it dry.
- Consume papaya juice regularly refill the body melanin cells lost due to vitiligo.
2. Red clay – it is effective treatment of vitiligo rich in copper content.
- Add one tablespoon of ginger juice or two tablespoons of red clay mix it well.
- Apply the mixture to the white patches or affected area every day.
- The ginger juice helps to increase the blood flow to the patches.
3. Reduction of stress – stress can be harmful for the body with any condition.
- Stress may not cause directly vitiligo but excess stress can cause the growth of patches caused by vitiligo.
- Stress also harm the mind, body and hamper daily functioning routine of a person.
- Take less stress prevent vitiligo from worsening naturally.
4. Sunscreen – Vitiligo is seen in the areas of skin that is regularly exposed to the sun affected by harmful ultra-violet rays of the sun.
- Apply sunscreen locally to the parts of the body exposed to the sun prevent direct exposure and also wear dresses that cover exposed area of body.
5. Drink water from a copper vessel – Staying hydrated always can help body stay fit and away from diseases.
- Stored drinking water in a copper vessel to get rid of vitiligo and increase melanin in body, reduce whiteness of patches caused by vitiligo.
6. Basil leaves – Basil leaves have anti-aging and anti-viral properties.
- These properties of basil dealing with vitiligo.
- Mix basil leaves with lime juice will stimulate the production of melanin on skin.
- Apply this mixture to skin every day for better results against vitiligo.
7. Walnuts – Walnuts have innumerable health benefits.
- Walnuts treat the body against vitiligo.
- Eating at least 5 walnuts everyday can help to deal with vitiligo.
- For better results crush walnut powder and add water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected areas of the skin every day for 10-15 minutes this will help in reduction of the white patches caused by vitiligo.
8. Foods high in zinc – While suffering with vitiligo it is important to have a well-balanced diet.
- A balanced diet help in boosting immune system.
- Make sure to include zinc in daily diet plan.
- Amounts of zinc in the body is low in patients with vitiligo.
- Zinc supplementation of the body can stimulate the healing process of the skin against vitiligo.
- Meat-based food items contain high amount of zinc.
9. Foods high in Vitamin C – Along with zinc, Vitamin C is also very important for the treatment of vitiligo.
- Vitiligo patient also suffering from vitamin C deficiency.
- Citrus fruits like lemons, orange and grapefruits contain Vitamin C and also found in strawberries, kiwi, bell peppers and broccoli reduce vitamin C deficiency.
10. Turmeric – Turmeric is effective for vitiligo.
- Turmeric and mustard oil stimulate the pigmentation of the skin and reduce patches.
- Apply mixture of turmeric powder and mustard oil for 15-20 minutes to the affected area will reduce the patch pigmentation.
- Do this remedy twice a day for positive results.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.