What is the definition of insomnia?
Insomnia is defined as the difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep, even when a person has the chance to do so.
It is the most common sleep complaint in which people can feel dissatisfied with their sleep and usually experience one or more of the following symptoms: difficulty concentrating, low energy, mood disturbances, fatigue, and decreased performance in work or at school.
Studies show that insomnia negatively affects work performance and can damage relationships.
The causes, symptoms, and severity associated with sleeplessness may vary from person to person.
In most cases, people with insomnia report a worse overall quality of life.
What is an Ayurvedic View on Insomnia?
In Ayurveda, insomnia is correlated with ‘Nidranasha’ or ‘Anidra’ which is called a loss of sleep.
Nidranasha is defined as the difficulty in maintaining sound sleep or waking up early and unable to sleep again.
Many ayurvedic medicines for treating insomnia are available ensuring effective results.
In Ayurveda texts, it is clearly mentioned that it is responsible due to prana vata, sadhak pitta and tarpak kapha.
Prana vata is a subtype of vata and its aggravation in the body leads to insomnia, anxiety, stress and depression.
Sadhak pitta is a sub-dosha of Pitta which controls the emotions as well as spirituality.
Tarpak kapha is a sub-dosha of kapha that provides nourishment to the brain cells and facilitates a good sleep during night.
Imbalance of Tarpak kapha causes poor nourishment of brain cells which leads to chronic insomnia.
- About 30 percent of adults have common symptoms associated with acute insomnia.
- About 10 percent of adults have severe symptoms associated with insomnia that causes daytime consequences.
- Less than 10 percent of adults are more likely to have chronic insomnia in adults.
What are the causes of insomnia?
Most of the common causes of insomnia are stress, anxiety, and depression. Women are likely to be more affected than men.
It is also seen in older adults, shift workers, and people who are suffering from medical or psychological disorders that need to be treated.
Some other causes which can include:
- Medicines and drugs, like asthma or blood pressure medication.
- Consumption of alcohol or caffeine-containing beverages like chocolates, coffee, tea, cold drinks, etc.
- Excessive smoking
- Chronic pain in the affected areas and other uncomfortable illnesses can also lead to lack of sleep disorder
- A friend or loved one passes away
- In rare cases, it seems to be a genetic component of insomnia, where insomnia starts in the early stage of life.
What are the various types of Insomnia?
There are two types of insomnia:
- Primary insomnia: In this condition, sleep problems are not linked to any other health conditions or problems.
- Secondary insomnia: There is a problem in sleeping because of various health-related conditions like asthma, depression, arthritis, cancer, or heartburn, etc.
What are the symptoms of insomnia?
Here are some of the insomnia symptoms that may include:
- Difficulty in falling asleep during the night
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up too early
- Feeling restless after a night’s sleep
- Tiredness or sleepiness during daytime
- Irritability, stress or anxiety
- Difficulty in paying attention and focusing on tasks
- Increased accidents
- Sleep Apnea
- Ongoing worries about sleep
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for insomnia?
Panchkarma treatment helps to restore the imbalance of doshas and provides strength to the nerves.
These therapies have been used in Ayurveda for many ages for treating insomnia with Ayurveda.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre facilitates the best panchakarma therapies which are done by well-trained therapists under the supervision of an Ayurvedic doctor.
The Therapies for insomnia patients include
- Shirodhara – It is a specialist and therapeutic head massage that reduces anxiety, depression, fatigue, behavior problems and induces proper sleep.
- Pada-Abhyanga – A foot massage that promotes mind as well as body relaxation. It also encourages proper sleep at night time.
- Abhyanga – This is a full body massage done by using herbal oils that provides relaxation to the body and promotes the sound sleep.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a wonderful kit for treating insomnia which is named as- Insomnia Go Kit.
This kit comprises of Brodley syrup, Tagaradi churna, Brahmi capsule, and Detox standard powder.
These formulations balance aggravated doshas and improve brain functioning.
1. Brodley Syrup
Brodley syrup is the herbal syrup that comprises of herbs like – Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc.
It is a wonderful formulation that induces sleep in a natural way. This syrup is rich in anti-oxidants and improves the functioning of your brain and provides strength to the nerves.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
2. Tagaradi Churna
Tagardi churna is a best Ayurvedic formulation which is used in the treatment of disturbed sleep. This churna provides strength to the heart muscles and reduces blood pressure.
According to Ayurveda, it pacifies the Vata as well as Kapha dosha. It improves the quality of sleep, reduces the feeling of heaviness and other symptoms associated with chronic and acute insomnia.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
3. Brahmi Capsules
Brahmi is one of such herbs that has been used in Ayurveda since many ages that support sleep, calms emotional turbulence and also ayurvedic medication to improve concentration and alertness.
It improves the blood circulation and acts as a natural tranquilizer for insomnia, anxiety that further helps in sleeping better.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
4. Detox Standard Powder
Detox standard powder is a mixture of natural herbs that provide relaxation to the mind and enhances the quality of sleep.
It comprises of ingredients like– Gandhak rasayan, Giloy satva, Jahar mohra pishti, Shukta pishti, etc.
This powder is mainly prepared for treating conditions such as restlessness, headache, weakness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, etc. Regular use of it subsides the conditions related to insomnia and improves sleep.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
These formulations are 100% pure, natural and are free from preservatives, fillers, chemicals, and additives.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.