The human brain is awesome as it functions twenty-four hours a day from the day we are born. It is considered as one of the important organ in our body. The brain power improves by the use of it. Nowadays there are many neuro-degenerative diseases that affect the brain.
One of the diseases that come under neurodegenerative disease is Alzheimer’s that is the most common type of dementia. It is a progressive disease that begins with mild memory loss & involves the parts of the brain that controls memory, language, and thought. In this disease, the death of brain cells takes place that causes loss of memory. After the age of 60, the symptoms of this disease appear & risks of this disease increase with the age.
The progression of this disease is done on three main stages before the symptoms appear (preclinical), when symptoms are mild (mild cognitive impairment), & dementia.
What are the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease?
The early signs of this disease are loss of memory as the disease progress the memory impairment worsens. The different symptoms are mentioned below:
- Memory loss: People with Alzheimer’s disease forget the conversation, events, or appointments, Repeat questions and statements, forget the name of family members, & they have trouble to identify objects, take part in conversations, or express thoughts.
- Difficulty in making decisions & judgments: The ability to make proper judgments & reasonable decisions become worse. For example, it becomes more difficult for an affected person to do everyday workings like an unexpected driving situation.
- Changes seen in the behavior & personality: A sufferer of Alzheimer’s disease faces change in behaviors, mood swings, depression, social withdrawal, irritability, loss of inhibitions, sleep habits change, aggressiveness, delusions, etc.
- The thinking & reasoning pattern changes: This disease causes difficulty in thinking & concentrating. A person may feel difficulty in recognizing and dealing with numbers.
- Difficulty in performing and planning familiar tasks: Patient of Alzheimer’s disease faces difficulty in doing routine activities like cooking meal, playing a favorite game, doing basic tasks such as bathing and dressing.
What are the Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease?
Most of the people believe that Alzheimer’s disease is caused due to a combination of lifestyle, genetic, & environmental factors. The part of the brain that controls memory is damaged in this condition. In the late stage, the brain shrunk. Loss of neurons that further spread to the other parts of the brain.
What are the Risk Factors of Alzheimer’s Disease?
- This disease is more common in people at the age of 60’s.
- The genetic factor, if your parent or sibling is affected with this disease than you might be a sufferer.
- Women are more prone to this disease than men.
- People with Down syndrome may develop Alzheimer’s disease.
- The patient with Alzheimer’s disease faces difficulty in sleeping.
- Past head trauma patients are at higher of Alzheimer’s disease.
- There is mild cognitive impairment in thinking skills and memory.
- Lifestyle problems like lack of exercise, high blood pressure, diabetes, lack of exercise, high cholesterol, etc.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease
Ayurveda is the best way to treat any acute & chronic disease. In Alzheimer’s patient there is “smriti bhransh” (loss of memory). Mainly vata dosha is imbalanced in it as compare to pitta & kapha. The Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides various herbs that generally act on the memory & treat all the symptoms related to Alzheimer’s patient. A kit named as “Alzheimer’s Go Kit” is introduced specially for Alzheimer’s patients. This kit comprises of five products Brahmi vati, Brodley syrup, Manasamrita Gulika, Tagaradi churna, & Zandopa powder.
All Products Description in Details
1. Brahmi Vati
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is considered as the best herb for neurological disorders. In the preparation of Brahmi vati the main ingredient is Brahmi that makes coordination between the neurons and support mental clarity. These herbal tablets maintain the overall activity of the brain and give effective results to Alzheimer’s patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily.
2. Brodley Syrup
This syrup maintains the overall activity of the brain. As the herbs used for the preparation of this syrup are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc these all acts as a mind relaxant. The use of this syrup provides good results to the Alzheimer’s patient.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Manasamitra Gutika
These herbal tablets relieve all symptoms related to Alzheimer’s patients. The ingredients used for the preparation of these tablets are Bala (Sida cordifolia), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Pippali (Piper longum), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc that shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, immuno-modulator, and antidepressant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with milk.
4. Tagaradi Churna
Tagar (Valeriana wallichii) is the main ingredient used for the preparation of this churna. It strengthens the nerves, calms down the brain, prevents psychological & neurological disorders. Regular use of this churna provides good results for Alzheimer’s patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily.
5. Zandopa Powder
This is an ayurvedic preparation that contains herb Atmagupta (Mucuna pruriens) that support the overall brain functions. The churna normalizes the nerve cell functions and give good results to Alzheimer’s patient.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily.
CAC Panchakarma Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease
The panchakarma therapies give quick & long-lasting results with the ayurvedic medicines. In Chandigarh Ayurved Centre we provide the best ayurvedic treatment along with the panchakarma procedures. The panchakarma procedures for Alzheimer’s patients are mentioned below in detail:
- Shastik Shali Pind Sweda: In this procedure, the shastika shali rice is cooked in kwatha & dugdha. After that massage of the whole body is done with this medicated rice.
- Bruhan Basti: This procedure provides a nutritive function to the body as it helps in the cleansing process. Basti is a type of enema.
- Ksheerabala Anuvasana Basti: In this procedure, the basti (enema) is given with the Ksheerabal oil in small quantities.
- Shirodhara: This procedure is done with the medicated oil that is dripped on your forehead slowly. Shirodhara calms down your brain and improves its functions.
- Nasya: In this procedure, medicated smoking is done to open-up your channels. When the channels are open the brain works properly.
These procedures and the medicines mentioned above provide a very effective result in Alzheimer’s patients.
Healthy Tips for Alzheimer’s Patients
If you want to stay healthy & Alzheimer’s free then you should follow these tips in daily routine:
- Eat healthy food include fruits, vegetables, and whole grain in your diet. Avoid fast & processed food items.
- Drink an herbal tea prepared from herbs like Brahmi, Tulsi, Arjun, etc.
- Practice breathing exercises or Pranayama for keeping your brain healthy.
- Do meditation for 20 to 30 minutes in a day.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
- You can also drink almond milk as it will improve your memory.
- Brahmi drinks are also available you can drink that every day.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.