Apple is an important temperate fruit. Apples are mostly consumed fresh but small part of the production is processed in to juices, jellies, and other items. In India, Apple is primarily cultivated in Jammu & Kashmir; Pradesh, hill, Uttar Pradesh and Uttaranchal. Apple grow best in regions where the trees experience uninterrupted rest in winter. Apples grow best on well-drained soils, depth of 45 cm and pH 5.5-6.5. The outer skin of the fruit is covered with protective layer of epicuticular wax. The soil should be free from hard substrata and others harmful chemical. Soils should be avoided which have heavy clay or compact subsoil. Apple is good heart, liver and brain tonic and strengthens the alimentary tract.
- Botanical name – malus domestica
- Family – rosacea
- Jammu and Kashmir: Golden Delicious (Late Season), Lal Ambri, Mollies Delicious, Starkrimson, Red June, Irish Peach and Benoni.
- Himachal Pradesh: Golden Delicious (Late Season), Red Delicious (Mid-season),
- Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh: Chaubattia Anupam
- Tamil Nadu : Irish Peach and Zouches Pipin (Early), Carrington and Winterstein (Mid -season) and Rome Beauty.
APPLE NAME IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGE
- English name apple tree
- Hindi name sev , seb
- Bengali name sev
- Gujarati name sapharchand
- Kannade name sebu
- Spanish name manzano
- French name pommier
- Russian name yablonya
- Chinese name ping guo shi
- Portuguse name maceira
- Taste: sweet, astringent
- Quality: heavy
- Potency: cool
- Taste after digestion: sweet and pungent.
- It help to improves taste.
- Improves quality and quantity of sperms.
- Effect on doshas: balance vata and pitta dosha, and increase kapha dosha.
- Do not eat seed of apple they are astringent and bitter in nature and cause vata aggravation.
- Sweet apples are slightly astringent in taste with cooling effect and has sweet effect after digestion.
- Sour apples are mainly astringent in taste with cooling effect and has pungent effect after digestion.
TRADITIONAL REMEDIES OF APPLE TREE –
- Bark decoction is used in recurrent fever.
- Roots are anthelmintic, relieves burning sensation and induce sleep.
PARTS USED FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSE – Fruits, bark and roots.
BIOACTIVE CONSTITUENTS – Apple fruits contains terphenoids, flavonoids, phenolic compounds and tannins.
PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTIVITY – Apple possess strong anti-oxidants and anti- cancer activities.
MERITS OF APPLE:-
- Digestion – Apple is the best source of fiber which keeps bowls clean and helps those on dieting by preventing hunger. Apple contains malic acid and which is helpful in preventing liver and digestion problems. Apple can reduce acidity from stomach.
- Cholesterol – Apple keeps the cholesterol level low and strengthening the blood for proper circulation. Apple can remove all toxic, waste product from your body
- Anemia – Apple being a good source of iron, arsenic, and phosphorus is beneficial in anemia.
- Skin – Apple ensures the skin is free from acne and boils.
Antioxidant properties of apple help in anti-aging and fine lines help in reducing wrinkles and pimples.
- Natural preservative and disinfectant – Apple juice contains vinegar which is used as a food preservative because the acetic acid in it has properties that could kill harmful bacteria or prevent them from multiplying or it is used as a disinfectant and natural preservative for a long time The acetic acid present in Apple Cider Vinegar is responsible for its health benefits. It has a very small amount of potassium, amino acids, and antioxidants that are really good for stomach health and overall body health.
- Prevent tooth decay – Eating apples can help to clean teeth and fight bad breath. The fibrous content of apples helps in cleaning the teeth by acting as a toothbrush and scrubbing out the plaque from teeth and removing other food debris. Acidity present in an apple helps kill off bad bacteria that encourage bad breath. Chewing the fibrous texture of the fruit with its skin can stimulate your gums to reduce cavity-causing bacteria and increase saliva flow. Apples can also gently remove plaque trapped between teeth and also strengthen your bones.
- Regulate blood sugar – apples are highly nutritious. In fact, they are higher in vitamin C, fiber and, several antioxidants. Apple feel you full without consuming a lot of calories. However, the fiber present in apples helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and providing other health benefits. Apples contain plant compounds that help to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce insulin resistance.
- Lowering body weight – Apples are high in water content, low in calorie density, and rich in fiber all properties help to reduce weight and promote fullness of stomach and reduce appetite therefore, help in weight control and improve all over health.
DEMERITE OF APPLE:-
- Loose stool:-Most of the fiber in apples is soluble in the form of pectin. Apple skins contain a good amount of insoluble fiber. The high fiber content in apples can lead to gastrointestinal issues, including loose stools, sometimes diarrhea.
- Stomachache – Some people report mild stomachache after eating apples. This is mostly due to the high fiber content in apples. Digesting this fiber can cause gas to buildup in the gastrointestinal system, resulting in stomachache, cramps, and flatulence.
- Allergic reaction – Allergic reactions due to apples are uncommon. But sometimes occur in people. Symptoms include itching around the lips and the mouth, swelling of the lips and the tongue, itchy, watery eyes and sneezing. Cooking the apples usually eliminates the problem.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.