Ascites is that the abnormal build-up of fluid within the abdomen. Technically, it’s over twenty five millilitre of fluid within the greater peritoneal sac, though volumes bigger than one cubic decimetre could occur. Symptoms could embrace inflated abdominal size, inflated weight, abdominal discomfort, and shortness of breath.
In Ayurveda, Ascites is called as Jalodar. Jalodar is generalised abdominal enlargement. Madagni (poor Appetites), doshati sanchaya (collection of toxicant substance in body), and Paap destiny (bad nature) are main explanation for jalodar. Pran-apan-agni dushti are main pathology in Jalodar. In fashionable science we are able to co-relate it with
Causes of Jalodar
- Improper and irregular diet causes the disturbance of vatadosha.
- Jirna Madyapana (Chronic Alcoholism).
- Ati-ruksha, Lawan, Vidahi Annasevan.
- Supresion of natural national capital (chhardi vega dharan).
- Ratri jagran.
Other causes of Ascites include:
- Grume within the portal or venous blood vessel
- Sure cancers, like gonad cancer, carcinoma and carcinoma
- Symptom cardiopathy (severe deterioration of the heart’s ability to pump blood, leading to doubtless grievous congestion within the lungs and different tissues of the body)
- Renal failure (severe deterioration of excretory organ operate, leading to a buildup of waste and fluid within the body additionally as different serious problems)
- Nephrosis (type of excretory organ disease)
Symptoms of Ascites
- Swelling within the abdomen
- Weight gain
- Sense of fullness
- Sense of heaviness
- Nausea or stomach upset
- Swelling within the lower legs
- Shortness of breath
- Bleeding, like inborn reflex blood, bloody stools or major body part hemorrhage
- pain or discomfort
- Confusion, disorientation, or modification in consciousness, like lethargy, weakened alertness, quality or passing out
- Loose, wet cough with frothy phlegm and probably blood-tinged phlegm
temperament changes and poor psychological feature functioning thanks to the lack of the liver to filter toxins and a buildup of waste merchandise within the blood and brain
- Shortness of breath, problem respiration, wheezing or alternative uncommon respiration noises.
The risk factors of Ascites are:
- Diets with low protein content
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Cardiac diseases
- Chronic liver diseases
- Portal hypertension
Management of Ascites
Ascites is prevented with the subsequent preventative methods:
- Reduced consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Limiting the intake of salt within the diet
- active sex to avoid liver disease
- Avoiding recreational medication that would cause liver disease
Pathya – Apathya (Diet and life style):
Ahara: solely milk diet is suggested. Goat / artiodactyl mammal / cow / buffalo milk, buttermilk, Peya – Jangala Mamsa Rasa, Khichadi ready with seasoned rice and Moong Daal, Shigru, recent vegetables soup. Diet with Deepana (digestive) property and Laghu (light to digest) property
e.g. Yavagu, Yusha, Tilanala Kshara or Palasha Kshara, Vartaka Kshara, Swarjika Kshara etc. semi liquids ar suggested. Yava along side Vastuka (Bathua leaves), Karela (Karavellaka) ar suggested.
Vihara: Timely meals, relaxation techniques
Ahara: Salt and water intake ought to be restricted, heavy food, green peas, black ox-eyed beans, lentils, yellow gram, raw vegetables and
salads, refined foods like white flour (Maida- bread, pizza, biscuits), sprouts, etc. ar contraindicated.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.