- Hand numbness is a common problem which everyone faces at some point of life.
- One of the commonest cause of getting a numb hand or arm is sitting or sleeping in the same position for a long time or sleeping on arms.
- This gradually can put pressure on your nerves and cut off blood flow, which brings on short-term numbness.
- Major symptoms associated with numbness are – Sharp pain, tingling sensation, burning sensation and weakness, feeling of discomfort etc.
The possible causes of numbness in one or both of your hands may be due to the following-
- Cervical spondylosis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Spinal cord injury
- Guillain-barre syndrome
- Frost bite
- Carpel Tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Brachial plexus injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Sjorgren’s syndrome
- Raynaud’s disease
- Lyme disease
- Ganglion cyst
- Side effect of Treatment like Chemotherapy or HIV drugs
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency
- Vasculitis etc.
Ayurveda view on Numbness of Hands-
The sensation of touch is caused by disturbance of vata dosha (as Vata dosha is associated with touch) and skin is a place of pitta Dosha.
In case of numbness there is imbalance of Vata and Pitta Dosha.
Herbs for Numbness in Hands
Some herbs may be useful in dealing with the numbness of Hands-
Latin Name- Tinospora cordifolia
- It improves blood circulation of the affected area and thereby relieves numbness in hands.
- It balances the tri doshas and it is well known to strengthen the immune system.
- It is helpful in relieving joint pain, tingling sensation in the hands.
- It is also useful in relieving fever and body pain and weakness associated with fever.
Method of intake- Cut the stem of Giloy into 2-3inch pieces and gently peel the outer covering.
With the help of mortar and pestle crush it and boil it in 4cups of water.
Boil it until one cup of giloy water is left.
Drink it two times a day for better result.
Latin name- Curcuma longa
- The active substance present in Turmeric is Curcumin, this compound is enriched with many properties like anti-inflammatory, Anti bacterial, Antioxidant etc.
- It helps in maintaining effective blood circulation in the body thus relieves numbness associated with hands and other parts of the body.
How to take-
Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric and mix it to a warm glass of milk.
Drink this turmeric milk daily once or twice a day.
Latin Name- Withania somnifera
- It is used from centuries for strengthening the body.
- It may act as a pain reliever, prevents pain signals from traveling along the central nervous system.
- It may also have some anti-inflammatory properties and helps to relieved numbness in hand.
- It is effective in treating different forms of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis.
Method of Intake-It can be taken in Power form, tablet and Arishta is also available in the medical stores.
Powder- 1/2teaspoon twice a day with milk;
Tablet- 1-2 tablet twice daily;
Arishta- 15-20ml two times a day or as directed by the Ayurveda Physician.
Latin Name- Emblica officinalis
- Rich in anti oxidants helps to improve circulation of blood and thus relieves the numbness associated with body parts.
- Method of intake- It can be taken in the form of powder, tablet, juice etc as directed by the Ayurveda Physician.
Latin Name- Sida cordifolia
- It improves the nerve functions and strengthens the body.
- It also calms nerve irritation.
- It helps to reduce numbness in hand by increasing blood circulation to the affected part.
Method of intake- It can be taken in the form of medical formulations like churna, Arishta etc.
Dosage- As directed by your Ayurveda doctor.
Latin Name- Boerhavia diffusa
Family- Nyctaginaceae (Bougainvillea family)
- It is a natural rejuvenator, it support healthy heart, lung, liver and kidney function.
- It helps to reduce edema and also helps to remove the harmful toxins out from the body.
- It helps to thin the blood and very beneficial if the cause is a clot or vasculitis.
- Relieves the hand numbness in a natural way.
Herbal Formulation for Numbness in hands
- Ashwagandha tablet
- Ashwagandha arishtam
- Yograja Guggulu
- Sameerpannaga rasa
- Ekangaveer rasa
- Bala rishta
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
For External Application-
- Pinda tailam
- Mahanarayana Tailam
- Mahamasha tailam
- Sahcharadi tailam
- Narayana tailam
SOME IMPORTANT TIPS
- Etiological factors should be avoided.
- Drink plenty of fluids in order to prevent dehydration. This helps to flush out harmful toxins out of the body and helps in maintaining proper blood circulation.
- Intake of drum-stick, wheat, Aloe Vera juice, Date fruit, Cumin seeds and raisins may be beneficial.
- Consume food rich in Vitamin-B, Magnesium, and Antioxidant rich high fibrous diet.
- Gentle Massage to the affected area can give some relief.
- Try to make movement of hands and keep the area warm.
- Avoid sitting or sleeping in same position for a long period of time.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.