Acne is a common skin condition. Acne is also known as Acne vulgaris and is defined as a long term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with oil and dead skin cells from the skin. It commonly occurs in adolescence. Around 80-90% of teenagers are affected by this.
It is caused by bacteria Propionibacterium acne. It creates a problem when a pore becomes blocked. Pores get blocked due to excess oil secretion gets mixed with dead skin cells to form a plug.
In some cases, acne forms scars. The common sites where acne is found in the chest, back, neck, upper arms, and buttocks.
A highly stubborn and distressing condition arouse due to acne. The pimples can or cannot be painful but also leave behind ugly scars.
Reasons for acne
- Excess Oil secretion by skin
- Dead skin cells
- Pores get Clogged
- Infection due to bacteria
- Excess production of oil by sebaceous glands
- Bacteria build up in pores
- Excess activity of a type of hormone
- Humidity or exposure to dust
- Hormonal changes in both men and women
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy or in adolescence
- Accumulation of dead skin cells in pores
- Regular scrubbing of the skin
- Stress can also lead to acne
- Pressure from tight helmets, tight sports, tight collars, etc.
- Dust, pollution, and humidity are factors which cause acne
- Certain birth control pills or corticosteroids medication cause pimples
- Excessive intake of diet that is rich in refined sugars or carbohydrates, such as bread and chips
Signs & Symptoms:
While whiteheads and blackheads are the most common lesions seen in acne, but symptoms can vary from person to person. Scarring of the skin occurs due to Inflammatory lesions. These include:
- Formation of papules – These are small, red, raised bumps caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles.
- Formation of pustules – These are small red pimples that have pus at their tips.
- Formation of nodules – Nodules are solid, often painful lumps beneath the surface of your skin.
- Formation of cyst – Cysts are large lumps found beneath your skin that contains pus and are usually painful.
- Low self-esteem
- Dark spots on the skin leading to permanent scarring.
Acne according to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, Acne is termed as ‘Yauvan Pidika,’ mentioned in Charaka Samhita which is compared to Salmali(cotton tree) and is believed to be a manifestation of an aggravated Pitta dosha.
Good health is considered to be a perfect state of balance between Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. Acne is caused when there is an aggravation of pitta dosha along with rakta dhatu(RBS’S), which acts under the skin and leads to heated toxins, further breaking out as acne.
Due to Vata imbalance pimples or acne caused which is characterized by dry skin. it occurs due to poor digestion and toxins accumulation in the body.
Causes of acne as per Ayurveda
- Intake of junk and fried food vitiates Kapha and pitta doshas lead to blood vitiation and acne.
- Late night awaking leads to an imbalance of normal rhythm of the body and causes stress and toxins are formed which results in acne.
- Over usage of cosmetics
- Stress and anxiety
- Excess intake of non -veg
Tulsi is considered a holy herb in Ayurveda due to its amazing healing properties. it is one of the best herbs to treat pimples, acne, and blemishes naturally.
Take some fresh and clean tulsi leaves, crush them and take out its juice and do gentle massage on face. Let the face absorb the juice of 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
Amla is considered an elixir for skin and helps in the removal of excess sebum, oil, and fights against bacteria causing acne and prevents scarring. take an amla paste and apply it on your face.
Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes of application. one can also have amla juice daily for skin treatment. it has an abundant amount of vitamin C AS COMPARE TO ORANGE JUICE. It possesses antioxidant properties.
Honey has numerous benefits and acts as a miraculous natural ingredient and is useful in the treatment of acne and pimples. Apply a few drops of raw on the scars or the pimples and wash off after 5-10 minutes. Use it regularly for the best results.
Turmeric has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which are used as Ayurvedic remedy to prevent bacterial breakouts and acne. It is also anti-allergic and removes toxins from the pores of the skin.
neem is perfect for pimples as it as antibacterial, antiseptic properties. Make neem leaf paste and apply over pimples and let it dry and then wash it off.
6. Herbal Mixture
Make a powder consist of fennel, coriander seeds, turmeric, basil, and amla in equal parts. All of these ingredients packed with antioxidants that help to treat inflammation of the skin. Take half teaspoon of this powder 15 minutes before lunch and dinner, and take hot water.
Take some melon and rub some melon on the skin at bedtime and leave it for a whole night. Its cooling anti-pitta quality will help heal acne.
8. Coriander-cumin fennel herbal tea
Take fennel, cumin, coriander tea to keep the body calm and cool as it removes all toxins from the body. have this tea 3 times a day.
9. water and lemon
Tone up your skin every single night with a herbal tonic made from lemons and distilled water. Squeeze take two lemons, squeeze it and add 2 teaspoons distilled water. Apply this tonic all over your face using a cotton pad and leave it overnight
Some of the face packs
- Lemon and honey face pack or oily skin
- Aloe vera face pack
- Multani mitti with lemon face pack
- Fenugreek face pack
- Saffron face pack
- Curd and gram flour face pack
- Coriander; leaves with turmeric face packs
HERBAL REMEDY BY CAC
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre had made a wonderful kit that includes 6 products that are very effective in curing acne of its root cause. Name of the products are – Neem soap, Twak detox powder, Twak churna, Aloe vera juice, Aloe vera gel, and Panchatikta ghrita guggulu. The kit is purely herbal and mainly made to pacify the Pitta dosha and can be used by every individual of any age.
1) Neem Soap
Neem herb is widely used to cure acute to chronic skin problems. It is such a wonderful herb that is easily available and contains many medicinal properties. Neem soap is natural and herbal handmade soap prepared from the extract of neem that protects the skin from various infections. It restores the health of damaged skin and acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Method of Application – Use for daily bathing purposes.
2) Twak Detox Powder
Twak detox powder is very useful in healing acne by balancing the digestive system and prevents the aggravation of pitta dosha. The powder is composed of tal sindoor, gandhak rasayan, parwal pishti, sudhyog tablet, jahar mohra, giloy satv, moti pishti, etc. The ingredients help to reduce the formation of blackheads, whiteheads, acne, pimples, etc.
Recommended Dosage – 1 sachet should be taken twice daily with normal water.
3) Twak Churna
Twak churna consists of two essential herbs – Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) and Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) that are the best pitta and Kapha pacifiers. The churna provides glowing complexion to the skin and maintains the secretion of oil glands. By regular use of churna, it reduces almost all the signs and symptoms associated with acne and provides healthy and charming skin.
Recommended Dosage –1 teaspoonful should be taken twice daily with normal water.
4) Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe Vera juice has multiple benefits to recover healthy skin as well as body. It is the best immunomodulator that prevents the skin from various bacteria. Intake of juice may help to reduce the frequency and appearance of acne. As it is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins that may provide a glowing and charming effect to the skin.
Recommended Dosage – Take 15 – 30 ml twice daily with an equal amount of water.
5) Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera Gel helps in pacifying Pitta and Vata dosha thus provides a cooling and a calming effect to the skin. The gel is formed from the pure herbal extract of herb Aloe Vera along with the mixture of rose petals.
By the combination of both herbs it acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial thus reduces redness, inflammation, the appearance of lines and wrinkles, pimples, acne, etc.
Method of application– Apply gently over the affected area of the skin.
6) Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu
The tablet cures almost all the skin problems by pacifying aggravated doshas and helps in recovering the normal skin. In the case of acne, it prevents excessive oil secretions and reduces the formation of whiteheads, blackheads, etc.
The tablet is composed of Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia), Gajapippali (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), etc. The tablet is Tridoshahara, thus is very effective in maintaining the hormonal level in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Acne?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers the best and easiest ways to cure acne with Mukha Lepam and Fruit mukha lepam. The therapies are done by experienced therapists and are proven in having good results.
Mukha lepam – In this, a medicated paste prepared from the best herbs & applied on the face that keeps your facial skin healthy.
Fruit mukha lepam – In this, fruits paste is applied over your face for maintaining natural glow in the skin.
Healthy Diet and Lifestyle
The persons who are prone to having acne regularly should concern about their diet and lifestyle. Avoid the foods and drinks that aggravate the Pitta dosha and make the symptoms severe. We mentioned some of the following preventive measures that every person must follow –
- Drinking coffee can be a part of a healthy diet; however, excess intake of caffeine, whether it’s consumed as coffee, tea or soda, can exacerbate existing acne. Taking excess of caffeine increase stress hormones that can play a role in the appearance of acne.
- Excess intake of desserts like cookies, cakes, and ice cream could trigger the symptoms of acne. The person should be limited to sugar no more than 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men.
- Avoid poking or squeezing your acne lesions.
- Both physical and emotional stress has been proven to trigger acne breakouts in some people. Try to reduce stress by adopting medications and some of the best exercises.
- Avoid using greasy or harsh products. These products tend to clog your skin pores and irritate your skin, which leads to acne breakouts.
- Eat a lot of green vegetables and fresh fruits as they work wonder for your overall health, they are also vital sources of antioxidants, vitamins, and other essential nutrients that reduce the symptoms and signs of acne and heal acne-ridden skin.
- The person should drink lots of water throughout the day. Water flushes out toxins and other impurities from your system and keeps your skin cleansed and hydrated.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.