It is a common skin condition that increases the growth of skin cells. It causes cells to build up rapidly on the skin surface. The skin becomes scaly and red patches are formed that are itchy and painful due to Psoriasis.
Psoriasis is a chronic disease that occurs frequently. Psoriasis is defined as a long-lasting autoimmune disease that is characterized by patches of abnormal skin that are usually red, dry, itchy, and scaly. It is a common skin condition that speeds up the life cycle of skin cells.
It affects men and women equally and can begin at any age, but it is most common between the age of 15-35 years and again between 50-60 years.
Psoriasis is commonly associated with several other conditions, including- type 2 diabetes, inflammatory bowel syndrome, heart diseases, psoriatic arthritis, etc.
In psoriasis, both environmental and genetic factors contribute to its pathogenesis. In particular, body weight, nutrition, and diet may trigger the disease.
The worldwide prevalence of psoriasis is around 2 to 4%, but studies in developed countries have reported higher prevalence rates of on average about 4.6%.
- Infection such as throat or skin like tonsilitis
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Emotional stress
- Certain medications like beta-blockers
- Genetics – having one parent with psoriasis increases your risk of getting the disease.
- Immune system – in the case of psoriasis, white blood cells also known as t cells mistakenly attack the skin cells. This attacks the skin cell production process to go into overdrive. Overactive t cells attack the healthy skin cells and causing redness and sometimes pus in pustular lesions.
- Viral and bacterial infections – people with hive are more likely to develop this condition. Infections, such as strep throat.
- High-stress levels may increase the risk of psoriasis.
- Tobacco or smoking not only increases your risk of psoriasis but also increase the severity of this disease.
- Injury to the skin, such as cut, a bug bite or a severe sunburn.
- Cold, dry weather causes a lack of moisture in the air worsens psoriasis.
- Vitamin d deficiency
- Medications like lithium are prescribed for bipolar disorder, anti-malarial drugs, beta-blockers, etc.
Sign and symptoms for psoriasis are different in every individual but most of the common are –
- Red patches in the skin, covered with thick silvery scales
- Itching, burning sensation
- Swollen and stiff joints
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
Different types of psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis- in this condition patches get raised, skin becomes reddish covered by silvery-white scale
- Psoriatic arthritis: it causes inflammation of joints
- Pustular psoriasis- in this condition, pustules are formed surrounded by red skin
- Guttate – it causes small, red spots on the skin
- Inverse psoriasis- it leads to smooth, red lesions formed in skin folds
- Erythrodermic- it causes redness, severe itching, and pain
- Elbows &torso
- Other parts like palms, soles, genitals, and face
In ayurveda, psoriasis is co-related with the ‘Kitibha’. It is one of the varieties of eleven ksudrakushta. It is commonly caused by the imbalance in the vata and kapha dosha.
Clinical features are – syavam (blackish brown discoloration of the skin), kinakharsparsa (affected skin will be rough to touch like the scar tissue), and parusa (hard to touch).
Kitibha can also enter into deep tissues which cause damage to tissue including bone, muscles, and joints which causes joint-related pathology.
If vata dosha is predominant in the combination, Excessive dryness and flaking are seen and if kapha is predominant we can find silvery wet scaling with a lot of itching and considerable swelling.
AYURVEDA REMEDIES BY CAC
Even though this autoimmune system is said to be incurable, but many people seem to be finding an effective result through ayurveda. Ayurvedic remedies for psoriasis are the best treatment that helps in curing psoriasis permanently of its root.
Chandigarh Ayurveda centre facilitates the ‘’psoriasis care kit’’ which contains all the natural herbs. This kit is specially made to cure skin disorders of the root with no side effects. The herbal kit is prepared from products like – detox standard powder, Manjisthadi churna, skin khada, Panchtikta ghrit guggulu, sarvin tablets.
1. Detox premium powder
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like parwal pishti, giloy satv, shukta pishti, kamdudha ras, gandhak rasayan, etc.
Parwal pishti: This pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta pishti: It helps to balance the pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy satv: This satv is prepared from the herb giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
Tal sindoor: It contains ingredients like shuddh parad, aloe vera, gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
Akik pishti: This pishti reduces all types of pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Blood purifier syrup
It is an ayurvedic syrup that consists of various natural ingredients such as Khadir chall (acacia catechu), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), neem (Azadirachta indica), giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), harad (Terminalia bellirica), baheda (Terminalia chebula), amla (Emblica officinalis), etc.
As the syrup purifies the blood by removing excess toxins it is very beneficial in maintaining proper circulation and improves the skin naturally.
Recommended dosage – take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
3. Twak tailam
Twak tailam is very effective for the skin as it deeply nourishes the tissues and improves the skin luster. The tailam is composed of yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), etc.
The tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification and blood purification without any side effects.
Method of application – apply over the affected area of the skin.
4. Skincare tablet
Skincare tablet is a pure ayurvedic formulation. It helps to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have.
It contains various herbs like haridra khand, panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, chirayta, Mulethi, chopchini, gandhak, ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types.
Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, increases blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lightens sun tan, delays aging of the skin and heal skin problems.
Recommended dosage: take 1 tablet twice daily.
5. Panchatikta ghrita guggulu
Panchatikta ghrita guggulu is an ayurvedic preparation mainly used for skin diseases. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients such as nimba(Azadirachta indica), patola(cucumis acutangulus), guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), vasa(adhatoda vasica), etc.
This tablet promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. Panchatikta ghrita guggulu tablet is a natural source of antioxidants. It promotes engender vibrant and healthy skin.
Recommended dosage–take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
6. Panchsakar churna
Panchsakar churna is an ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – saindhav lavana (rock salt), swarnapatri (cassia angustifolia), shatapushpa (anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), balaharitaki (unripe fruits of terminalia chebula).
Panchsakar churna is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. It relieves inflammation and useful in all types of skin problems. The powder has anti-inflammatoryry properties due to which it can reduce the swelling.
Recommended dosage– take 1 teaspoonful with lukewarm water at bedtime.
7. Neem soap
Neem soap is natural and herbal handmade soap prepared from the standardized extract of herb neem (Azadirachta indica).
Neem herb is widely used to cure acute to chronic skin problems such as pimples, itching, dryness, blemishes, dark spots, pigmentation, scars, etc.
It is such a wonderful herb that is easily available and shows anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-microbial, antifungal, antiseptic properties. Neem cleanses the pores and protects the skin from various infections, psoriasis, eczema, leprosy, skin ulcers.
It restores the health of damaged skin, tones skin complexion, prevents premature aging, wrinkles, fine lines can protect against UV rays and acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Method of application: neem soap can be regularly used on the face and body, as a bath soap.
- Prevent skin from drying, so keep it moist with lotions or moisturizers.
- Petroleum jelly is a thick and oily one, is usually best. They’re better at trapping moisture beneath the skin
- Avoid cold and dry, weather. Climate can have a big effect on psoriasis. Cold, dry weather in some people makes symptoms worse. Hot weather usually makes it better, but not always.
- Use a humidifier. It’s important to keep your skin moist. Turn on the humidifier when the air inside your house is dry.
- Avoid medications like lithium, quinidine
- Avoid cuts, bumps, and infections
- Avoid stress
- Do exercise and maintain your healthy weight
- Exposure to sunlight improves the condition
- Intake of turmeric lessens inflammation in the body to reduce psoriatic activity.
- Applying an ointment containing aloe vera may also help reduce the redness, scaling, and inflammation that psoriasis causes.
- The application of vinegar helps to soothe itching and burning from scalp psoriasis. It contains natural germ-killing properties and can be soothing for the scalp.
- Acupressure, acupuncture, massage, reiki, and yoga helps to treat psoriasis