There are different types of arthritis one among them is gout that is considered a complex form of arthritis. This disease is more common in men as compared to women. Women after menopause are more susceptible to gout. The patient dealing with cardiovascular disorders, hypertension, & obesity are at higher risk of facing gout problem. The formation of uric crystals in the joints is responsible for gout. It is caused by the deposition of excess uric acid in the bloodstream. In this disease, the base of the big toe is affected. At the middle of the night time the attack of gout increases. Gout is characterized by swelling, redness, tenderness in the joints, & severe attacks of pain.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Gout?
The patient having gout problem have signs & symptoms that usually appear at night time.
- Intense pain in joints that usually affect the big toe, elbows, wrists, ankles, knees & fingers.
- Redness, swelling, inflammation, tenderness, & stiffness in the joints.
- With the progression of gout the joints are not able to move joints normally.
What are the Causes of Gout?
Gout usually takes place when there is an accumulation of urate crystals in the joints. These crystals are formed when the level of uric acid increases in the blood. Uric acid is produced in the body when the purines are breakdown. These purines are mostly found in seafood, organ meat, & steak. The food items that promote a high level of uric acid are beer, alcoholic beverages, & sweetened drinks.
What are the Different Types of Gout?
The various types of gout are mentioned below in detail:
- Acute gout: In this type, the urate crystals are deposit suddenly causing intense pain, inflammation, & stiffness. These symptoms may subside within 3 to 10 days. The flares are triggered due to alcohol, drugs, & stressful events.
- Intercritical gout: In this type, the flares of a gout attack may not occur for months or years if not treated on time. If not treated over time these urate crystals may be deposited in tissues.
- Asymptomatic hyperuricemia: At this stage, the uric acid of a person is elevated without any symptoms. Urate crystals may be deposited in tissue that causes damage.
- Pseudogout: In pseudogout, the joints are irritated with calcium pyrophosphate crystals than urate crystals.
- Chronic tophaceous gout: It is the most debilitating type of gout that permanently damages the joints & kidneys.
Who are at a Higher Risk of Developing Gout?
There are many factors that are responsible for the development of gout such as:
- The obese persons are at risk of developing more uric acid due to which kidneys have difficulty in developing uric acid.
- Eating a diet rich in seafood, meat, & drinking beer, alcohol, soft drinks that are responsible for increasing gout risk.
- Diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, metabolic syndrome, & kidney diseases are responsible for gout.
- Family history is also another reason for the development of gout.
- The patient between the ages of 30 & 50 is more likely to develop gout.
- Trauma & recent surgeries can attack gout in an individual.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for Gout?
In Ayurveda, the gout is known as “Vatarakta” which signifies the association of vata disorder with the vitiated Pitta dosha & Rakta Dhatu. The doshas & dhatus are mainly affected by the progression of this disease. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete solution for gout patients named “Gout Care Kit” for proper treatment. This kit contains five medicines that are mentioned in detail given below:
1. Detox Premium Powder
As the name suggests this is a natural formula for detoxification of the body. This powder is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains Akik pishti, Shankh bhasma, Giloy satv, Sudhyog tablet, Shukta pishti, Moti pishti, etc. It reduces the level of high uric acid in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Pain-O-Kill Syrup
The unwanted joints pain, stiffness, swelling, & inflammation are treated with the use of this syrup. This herbal syrup is formulated with herbs such as Punarnava root, Methi seeds, Nirgundi leaves, Ashwagandha, & Garlic, etc. It is used in reducing the level of high uric acid in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily before meal.
3. Panchasakar Churna
As the name suggests this churna is formulated with five ingredients such as Shunthi, Trivrit, Pippali, Haritaki, & Sauvarchal lavan. These all ingredients in combination remove toxins from the body. Redness, stiffness, joints pain, inflammation are treated with the use of this churna.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
4. Pain-O-Kill Tablets
These are herbal tablets that are prepared from herbs like Garlic, Punarnava, Ashwagandha, Nirgundi, Methi, etc. The regular use of these tablets reduces pain, inflammation, stiffness, redness, & excessive formation of urate crystals are removed.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
5. G-Amrita Capsules
These herbal capsules are prepared from herbs such as Gokshura, Bibhitaki, Amrita, Haritaki, Guggulu, etc that reduces pain & swelling. It is a herbal formula for dealing with the signs & symptoms related to gout patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily with normal water.
6. Vaat Nashak
These are herbo-mineral tablets that are prepared from ingredients such as Abhrak bhasma, Jahar mohra pishti, Giloy satv, etc. Vaat Nashak tablets help in balancing the vata dosha body. Joints pain, inflammation, stiffness, & swelling in joints associated to gout patients are treated with the use of these tablets.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
7. Swarna Guggulu
It is an ayurvedic & herbal medicines that provide good results in gout. The ingredients used for preparation of Swarna Guggulu are Ashwagandha, Kumkuma, & Swarna bhasma. Swarna Guggulu tablets reduces inflammation, pain, stiffness, & swelling in gout patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with milk.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Gout Patients?
Gout is a serious problem if not treated on time. So for dealing with the root cause of this disease not only ayurvedic medicines will work but panchakarma therapies also provide fruitful results. The therapies recommended to gout patients are:
- Baluka Sweda: This is the type of sweda that comes under the category of Pinda Sweda. In this therapy sand is tied in a bolus that provide heat to the affected joints. It is the best for expelling out vata & kapha dosha from the body.
- Anuvasana vasti: In Anuvasana vasti the medicated oil or ghritam is administered as enema. It will help in the overall detoxification of the body. This procedure helps in cleaning the colon & rejuvenating its function naturally.
- Parishek: In this therapy, warm kwatha with herbs are formed that are poured over the body. It pacifies the vata, kapha dosha, & maintain all symptoms related to gout.
The ayurvedic medicines & the panchakarma therapies mentioned above give good & effective results to the gout patients.