Tinnitus causes ringing in the ears or perception of continuous noise in the ears. With the rise of this problem, 15 to 20% of people are facing tinnitus. It is not a condition that faces itself but it may occur due to underlying conditions such as ear injury, age-related hearing loss, or circulatory system disorders. Patients with tinnitus hears whistling, ringing, pulsating roaring, hissing, or clicking sounds that vary intermittently to constant. The pitch may vary from low to high & this problem is very commonly seen in old age.
What are the Two Types of Tinnitus?
There are mainly two types of tinnitus that are commonly seen such as:
- Subjective tinnitus: Subjective tinnitus is the most common type that causes a problem in the outer, middle, or inner ear. In this type, the problem with the auditory nerves or auditory pathways is seen. It can only hear by you.
- Objective tinnitus: Objective tinnitus is examined by your doctor when you are properly examined. This is a rare type of tinnitus that is caused by blood vessel problems in middle ear bone condition or muscle contractions.
What are the Signs & Symptoms in Tinnitus?
The patients dealing with tinnitus having signs & symptoms that are mentioned below in detail:
Various noises are felt by the patient such as ringing, roaring, clicking, buzzing, hissing, humming sounds.
What are the Causes of Tinnitus?
There are a number of causes that can lead to tinnitus that are mentioned below:
1) Age-related issues: With the age of 60s or above the hearing of an individual gets worse. There is a total loss of hearing that is known as presbycusis.
2) Blockage due to Earwax: Earwax is the substance that protects your ear canal by slowing the growth of bacteria & trapping dirt. When there is an excess of earwax accumulated it causes irritation or hearing loss of the eardrum.
3) Changes in ear bones: Stiffness of the bones in the middle ear affects hearing that causes tinnitus.
4) Exposure to loud noise: The short & long term exposure to loud sound causes permanent damage to the ear.
5) Meniere’s disease: It is an inner ear disorder that causes abnormal inner ear fluid pressure.
6) Injuries to head or neck: The trauma to head or neck affects the inner ear that causes damage to the nerves & brain functions. These injuries cause tinnitus of one side of the ear.
7) Acoustic neuroma: It is a benign tumor that runs from the brain to the inner ear. This controls the hearing & balance also called vestibular schwannoma.
8) Certain medications: The medicines such as aspirin, antibiotics, & quinine causes damage to the ear that ultimately causes tinnitus.
What is the Ayurvedic view for Tinnitus?
Tinnitus in Ayurveda is known as “Karnanada” which is not considered as a disease. It is just a symptom of prana vayu disturbance. Prana vayu is considered as subdosha of vata that usually resides in the head & maintain cerebral functions. In this condition, patient hear sounds like cymbal, kettle drum, & conch.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Tinnitus?
Ayurvedic treatment is the best for treating “Tinnitus” problem as it acts on the root cause. The treatment provided by Ayurveda acts on the root cause of disturbed vata dosha that maintains the symptoms very easily.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre the best healing clinic that treats tinnitus with the use of Ayurvedic medicines. This centre introduces a kit named “Tinnitus care kit” that deals with all the signs & symptoms. It contains five ayurvedic medicines that provide effective & long-lasting results.
All products description in details:
1) Ras Raj Ras
Ras raj Ras are herbal tablets that contain ingredients such as swarna bhasma, rajat bhasma, loha bhasma, vang bhasma, shuddh parad, etc. The antioxidant & immuno-modulator properties of these tablets deal with tinnitus patients.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2) Ekangveer Ras
Ekangveer ras is a classical herbal formulation prepared from a combination of herbs & minerals. The ingredients used for its preparation are shuddha parada, shuddha gandhak, naga bhasma, tamra bhasma, vanga bhasma, abhrak bhasma, maricha, pippali, tikshna loha bhasma. These all in combination balances vata & kapha doshas in the body. It gives effective results to tinnitus patients.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily.
3) Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients such as moti pishti, parwal pishti, giloy satav, kamdudha ras, shukta pishti, akik pishti, gandhak rasayan, tal sindoor, shankh bhasma, shudhyog tablet, etc. These all ingredients in combination helps in the overall detoxification of the body & treat tinnitus easily.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
4) Sarivadi Vati
These are classical herbal tablets that are beneficial in treating tinnitus & ear infections. The ingredients used for the preparation of these tablets are sariva, madhuka, kushta, twak, patra, ela, & nagakeshara, etc. All the ingredients in combination deal with the signs & symptoms associated with tinnitus problem.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily.
5) Trikatu Syrup
his herbal syrup is prepared from three ingredients such as pippali, marich, & sonth. All ingredients shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, & analgesic properties that deal with the tinnitus.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful thrice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Tinnitus?
Along with the Ayurvedic treatment, Chandigarh Ayurved Centre also introduces a few panchakarma therapies that will deal with all the signs & symptoms related to tinnitus. The different procedure related to panchakarma therapies are mentioned below in detail:
- Nasya: The medicated oil is inserted into the nostrils to balance & calm the Prana vayu that is responsible for the tinnitus.
- Shiroabhyanga: In this procedure, the massage of your head is done with medicated oil to calm the prana vayu in the body that is responsible for the tinnitus.
- Karnapooran: In this procedure, warm medicated oil is applied drop wise in each ear. It calms the vata dosha in the ear. The oil that is put in one ear is allowed to remain for five to ten minutes after that it is cleaned. After that, the same is done in the next year.
- Gandush & Kawala: In Gandush medicated oil is withhold in the mouth for a certain period of time. In kawala, gargaling with medicated oil is done to strengthen the nerves of ears & eyes. It maintains the aggravated vata dosha in the body.
Healthy Tips & Lifestyle:
In tinnitus condition, you should keep your diet & lifestyle both healthy. So follow some simple tips that are mentioned below in detail:
1) Include fresh vegetables & fruits in your diet. Avoid stale food items as it is not good for health.
2) Drink plenty of water.
3) Avoid food items that increase vata dosha in the body such as white rice, potato, yam, brinjal, capsicum, ladyfinger, etc.
4) Do perform yoga poses such as pavanmuktasana, surya namaskar, tadasana, ardha chandrasana, trikonasana, uttanasana, shasangasana, etc.
5) Perform pranayam such as swana, nadi shuddhi, nadi sodhana, bhastrika, sawitri.
6) Do perform meditation & relaxation such as yoga nidra & shavasana.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.