- November 4, 2020
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
In a recent study, a relationship has been found between oral sex and bacterial vaginosis or BV. However, bacterial vaginosis is not a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Bacterial vaginosis is an infection of vagina caused by an imbalance between good and bad bacteria in that part. This leads to inflammation. Your vagina should contain lactobacilli bacteria that produce lactic acid.
This prevents other harmful bacteria from growing there. However, if its number is small, your vagina will become less acidic, which allows the bad bacteria to thrive and increase infection. Bacterial Vaginosis can affect women of any age. It occurs mostly in women between 15 and 44 years of age. This vaginal infection also increases the risk of developing STIs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea.
Bacteria responsible for BV, Fusobacterium nucleatum
Studies at the University of California suggest that oral sex may possibly promote bacterial vaginosis. In the study, researchers investigated the link between the development of Fusobacterium nucleatum, the bacterium responsible for BV. Fusobacterium nucleatum, commonly found in the oral cavity, is a major component of dental plaque and is associated with gum disease. After studying bacterial behavior in mice and human vaginal specimens, researchers noted that Fusobacterium nucleatum aids the growth of other bacteria trapped in BV. On the basis of information obtained from this study, experts have concluded that oral sex may be a potential trigger for bacterial vaginosis.
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis is a sexually transmitted infection that occurs in women. Bacteria are present in the vagina, but when harmful bacteria start growing, the balance of bacteria present in the vagina begins to deteriorate. These different types of bacteria cause problems. Bacterial vaginosis (BV) occurs when the amount of problem-causing bacteria that normally occurs in the body increases. These bacteria alter the normal vaginal lactobacilli, causing the balance to deteriorate. Sometimes having unprotected sex also increases the risk of bacterial vaginosis. There are many other activities that can give rise to this problem.
Causes of Bacterial Vaginosis
You may develop bacterial vaginosis by activities that damage the natural balance of vaginal bacteria. One such activity is sex. But there are other activities that increase the risk of its occurrence.
- Having unprotected sex.
- Oral sex may increase the risk of bacterial vaginosis.
- Having sex with a new partner or multiple partners
- Use of Harsh soap, liquid product to clean the design.
- Using tampons for longer.
- Too much douche
- Using certain contraceptives such as diaphragms
- Establishing unprotected sex with multiple people.
- The use of toilet sheets or swimming pools does not cause bacterial vaginosis.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
The most common symptom that appears in a bacterial vaginosis infection is the discharge of white liquid. Not having sex in a safe way increases the chances of bacterial vaginosis. Also, the risk of sexually transmitted disease increases when there is bacterial vaginosis. If you have bacterial vaginosis, you may or may not have some symptoms. Symptoms include watery discharge from the vagina, changes in its color, fishy smell from the vagina, burning sensation during urination and itching around the vagina. Various factors such as douching, sexual intercourse with multiple partners, smoking, using vaginal deodorants in the vagina, using antiseptic liquid while bathing may increase the risk of developing bacterial vaginosis.
- Watery discharge from vagina.
- Vagina can smell like rotten fish.
- Burning or pain while urinating.
- Itching on the outer skin of the vagina.
- Swelling and redness around the vagina.
Ayurvedic view in bacterial vaginosis
All the three doshas vitiated due to abnormal diet or mode of life or their own aggravating factors, withholding rakta and/or mamsa reaching reproductive organs specially uterus and cervix which are made vulnerable due to excessive coitus, abnormal labour, and frequent labour or multiparty and abortions etc. settle there and produce foul smelling vaginal discharge. Noncleanliness of reproductive organs may give rise to unpleasant or foul smell.
1. Detox Premium Powder
These are herbal-mineral sachet especially designed for the ulcerative colitis patients. The various ingredients used for the formation of these sachets are prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma that in combination provide good relief on the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients.
- Shukta pishti: The bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that give deal with the ulcerative colitis patients.
- Prawal pishti: It is made from coral calcium that reduces bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis patients.
- Giloy satv: This herbal satv remove all toxins from the body. It reduces excessive Pitta from the body associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Jahar Mohra pishti: The antidiarrheal property of this pishti stops loose stools that are the main symptoms in ulcerative colitis patient.
- Kehrva pishti: This pishti provides good results in rectal bleeding, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal inflammation related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Sutshekhar ras: This preparation reduces bloating & gastritis. It provides calming effect on the body.
- Akik pishti: It is a mineral-based medicine that reduces excessive heat, weakness, & general debility.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras is beneficial in burning sensation, loose stools, bleeding tendencies related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Moti bhasma: The anti-inflammatory property of this herb reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Leuco Care Tablets
These herbal capsules treat vaginal discharge, foul smell, painful conditions, fatigue, etc. The various ingredients used for the formation of the capsules are Kukkutandwaka bhasma, Mochras, Supari, Nagkesar, Ashok, Gond katira, etc that is good for leucorrhea patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
3. Women Champion Syrup:
Woman Champion is purely herbal and ayurvedic formulation. It is a very effective tonic for women and help to maintain their health. It balances all the doshas of body and also maintain hormone levels . It contains herbs like Lodhra, Manjishta, Ashok chaal, Punarnava,Shatavar,Bala,Daruharidra,Nagarmotha that help women typically with mood changes, stress, headache and pain.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
4. Femine care tablet
It is a pure and natural remedy that contains various herbs extract that works on the female reproductive system and make it healthy. These tablets show antioxidant properties, anti inflammatory and immuno modulater properties. It contains Ghritkumari , Muramakki, Sonth. It works in various diseases like pcod, bulky uterus, endometriosis, general female health, irregular menses, and uterine fibroids. It affects on Tridosha- balances Vata and Kapha.
DOSE – 1-2 tablets two times a day or as directed by physician.
5. Trikatu Tablet:
As the name suggests three ingredients are used for its preparation like Shunthi, Pippali, & Maricha. These herbs in combination deal with the loss of appetite, gas, flatulence, bloating, abdominal distension, weak digestion, constipation, abdominal pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.