Bananas are extremely healthy and delicious. Bananas are among the world most popular fruits one of the most important fruit crops of the world. The banana is grown in the tropics, and, though it is most widely consumed in those regions, Bananas vary in color, size and shape. Banana contains very important nutrients like Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, Fiber, net carbs, Protein, and Fat. It provide benefits for digestion, making heart healthy and help in weight loss. Each banana has contain about 105 calories and consists almost of water and carbs.
- Scientific name Musa
- Family Musaceae
- Sanskrit Name Kadali
- Latin name Musa
- Family Musaceae
- Other Sanskrit name Sakritphala (Charak, Sushrut),
- Hindi Kela, kadali
HOW BANAN GROW
Banana plants are herbs. Bananas do not grow from a seed but they grow from rhizome and takes nine to twelve months from sowing a banana bulb to harvesting the fruit. Flowers of banana appears in the sixth or seventh months.
UNRIPE BANANA PROPERTY
- Rasa: Kshaya (astringent)
- Virya: Shita (cooling)
- Vipak: Katu (pungent)
FUNCTION OF UNRIPE BANANA
- Cures pitta and rakta diseases
RIPE BANANA PROPERTY
- Rasa: Madhura (sweet)
- Virya: Ushna
- Vipak: Amla (sour)
- Guna: Heavy
FUNCTION OF RIPE
- Kapha enhancing
- Controls appetite
- Promotes taste
- Supports muscle tissue
- Cures emaciation
- Relieves problems with urination
Food combining cautions with banana as indicated in Charak Samhita:
- Do not combine bananas and milk together
- Do not combine banana and yoghurt together
- Do not take liquids within an hour of eating banana.
MERITES OF BENEFITS
- BLOOD PRESSURE: People to lower their intake of salt or sodium and increase their consumption of foods that contain potassium maintain your blood pressure and reduce pressure on the cardiovascular system, a medium banana provides almost 9% of potassium.
- ASTHMA: Antioxidant and potassium content of bananas prevent wheezing in children with asthma.
- CANCER: Lectin, a protein present in bananas, may help prevent leukemia cells from growing. Lectin acts as an antioxidant which help the body remove molecules known as free radicals. If too much free radicals build up the cell damage can occur leading to cancer.
- HEART: Bananas contain fiber, potassium, folate, and antioxidants, such as vitamin C. All of these support heart health. Add fibre in your diet have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease than those on a low fiber diet. People who consumed more fiber also had lower levels of low-density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol.
- SKIN: banana act as skin moisturizer, it help to maintain well-nourished skin. It is Rich in potassium and moisture, it will help hydrate and moisturizes dry skin. Vitamin A present in banana restores moisture smoothens out the rough texture of the skin and heals dry, parched skin. Banana helps in sloughing off excess sebum on the skin surface. It is also rich in potassium which helps in hydrating dry skin and making it soft and supple. Bananas contain a high level of antioxidants and prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
- HAIRS: Banana have antioxidant and antibacterial properties which help to cure dandruff. Banana mask help to add moisture in your scalp and also rid your scalp from dandruff. It help to make hair shiny, smoothens frizzy hair and boosts hair growth.
- Muscle: – banana is good source of magnesium, bananas help in muscle contraction and relaxation as well as protein synthesis which increases lean muscle mass.
- Mood: – Bananas promote smile because they contain 6% of vitamin B9, (also known as folate), a nutrient that may fight depression by boosting a substrate that has antidepressant properties.
- Energy source: – Bananas are rich in glucose, the most easily digestible source of sugar that will provide optimal energy for your body.
- Eye: – bananas contain vitamins A and C and both are antioxidants and are eye and skin-healthy nutrients, banana antioxidant property that can help to protect cells and repair damage at the cellular level. Bananas also contain other nutrients like vitamin E. and lutein both help to maintain eye-healthy.
DEMERITS OF BANANA
- Constipation: Unripe bananas can cause constipation because they contain a lot of starch, which is tough for the body to digest well. Bananas also contain a lot of fiber such as pectin that draws water from the intestines. It make you more constipated if you are dehydrated
- Nutrient imbalance: body needs a balanced nutrients for proper function. If bananas dominate your diet than your stomach has little space for other healthy foods.
- Digestion problems: balanced amount of fiber is good for your digestion. Consuming large quantities of fiber cause abdominal cramps, gas, bloating. In fact, excessive fiber may interfere with the absorption of minerals like calcium and iron.
- Weight gain: Banana is high-calorie food. Banana makes a good snack, consuming more than two bananas can contain 300 calories. Therefore, it is better to stick only two bananas, if you are not eating any other fruit through the day.
- Sleepiness: Bananas contain tryptophan, the amino acid that is known to help you sleep better. Carbohydrates presents in bananas that block amino acids from entering the brain, so there is an influx of tryptophan that may increase the production of serotonin, which help to induce sleep.
- Dental health problems: Banana contains natural sugars that bring some harm to your dental health. One of the most common problems by eating too much sugar is tooth decay. In tooth decay there is decay in the outer surface of tooth.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.