What are blemishes?
- Any type of mark, spot, discoloration, or flaw that affects the appearance or appear on the skin is known as Blemish. Blemishes on the face may cause emotionally upsetting, most of these are benign and not life-threatening. Some type of blemishes, however, can signal skin cancer.
Types of blemishes
Blemish is any kind of mark on the skin. There are various types of blemishes.
- Acne is a common condition. Acne can appear in the form of pimples, blackheads on the face.
- Secretion from glands of skin i.e. sebum (oil), any kind of bacteria, or dirt when obstructs hair follicles can cause blemishes . These Acne can sometimes leave dark spots, or scarring on the skin.
- Hormonal changes are also one of the reason in the formation of acne. Stress factor may also worsen the condition.
- Small skin lesions of varying types are known as papules. Their color varies from pink and to brown. Papule can be seen in conditions of Chicken pox, dermatitis, psoriasis etc.
- Pustules are fluid- or pus-filled bumps. Whiteheads and chickenpox blisters are types of pustules. Conditions like rosacea, scabies can also leads to pustule formation.
- These are collection of tissue. Nodules are hard to the touch and larger than papules, usually 1 – 2 cm in diameter. Skin tags and warts are examples of nodules.
- Melasma is very common during pregnancy. In this condition formation of brownish patches takes place. It can occur due to exposure to harmful rays of sun and hormonal changes.
- Birthmarks are likely to occur either at birth or shortly afterward. They can vary in appearance, size, shape, and color. Moles and port-wine stains are types of birthmarks.
There are many types of cysts. Main types include:
- Dermoid cysts
- Ganglion cysts
- Sebaceous cysts
Cysts are benign sacs that contain a substance, like fluid. They’re often round.
- The herpes simplex virustype 1 (HSV-1) leads to formation of cold sores. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters mostly found near the mouth. They may cause itching or tingling sensation.
- Scarring of the skin occurs when the layer of skin i.e. dermis gets damaged . Anything that causes the skin to open can lead to scarring, such as a wound or popped pimples.
- Skin cancers can vary in appearance and in color. Some types of skin cancer look like dark moles with irregular borders. Only a doctor can confirmly diagnose if a blemish is skin cancer.
- An overproduction of melanin can lead to uneven skin tone or formation of dark patches. The causes of hyperpigmentation include:
- Exposure to sun
- Acne scarring
- Hormonal changes
Cause for blemishes
Some skin conditions are caused by virus , like cold sores by viruses, such as HSV-1. The varicella-zoster virus (VZV) causes chickenpox.
Acne may occur due to some genetic factors. Some hereditary conditions can also leads to blemishes. These include:
- Darier disease
- Adult type 3 GM1 gangliosidosis.
- Fabry disease
Some skin infections can cause blemishes to erupt on the skin. Infection of hair follicles of can also leads to formation of blemishes.
Overexposure to the harmful UV rays of sun can cause skin cancer, hyperpigmentation, and other forms of skin damage.
Environmental factor like dirt, car exhaust, and pollution, can affect your skin, mingle with oil, and clog pores. Excessive secretion of skin gland also favors this. Dirt and bacteria also transfers onto your face by touching your face with your hands.
Your diet also put impact on your skin. Many kind of food allergies can cause skin irritation and bumps.
Use of some OTC medications may cause acne as a side effect. These include use of corticosteroids , anti-epileptic drugs etc.
When to see your doctor
Blemishes can sometimes signal a serious condition that requires consultation from doctor . Your doctor will look for any blemish that:
- changes in size or color
- begins bleeding
- has irregular borders
These may be signs of skin cancer.
Doctor will find out cause for blemishes if blemishes are caused by a virus, such as cold sores or chickenpox , then treatment is done accordingly to speed recovery.
Read Also : Ayurvedic Treatment for Skin Blemishes
How to treat blemishes?
Treatment of the blemishes is done according to the cause of the blemish. Common treatment options that are available for blemishes are
There are many OTC products that can help to reduce or eliminate pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads. These include facial scrubs, astringents, and topical gels. In severe cases oral antibiotics or topical medication are prescribed
Salicylic acid products help to unclog the clogged pores.
Use of Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats reduce your exposure to harmful rays of sun . This can help protect your skin from damage and prevent scarring.
Topical creams can reduce allergic reactions and irritations.
Creams for hyperpigmentation
Creams that contain hydroquinone are helpful to lighten age spots, acne scarring, and melasma. They slower down the production of melanin.
Dermatologic procedures for hyperpigmentation
There are several procedures that are used to remove scars and clear skin these include Chemical peeling , laser therapy , cryotherapy
Healthy hygiene habits
Keep proper care of your skin . Regular cleansing of your face, body, and hair can help to eliminate excess oil, dirt, and bacteria on the skin and prevent any kind of skin condition to occur . Avoid doing this in excess.
Ayurvedic Mangement of blemishes
Ayurveda provides best treatment for skin conditions. In ayurveda management of disease is done on the basis of imbalanced dosha. On this Principle Chandigarh ayurveda centre provides very effective ayurvedic treatment for blemishes. Chandigarh Ayurved centre have best Ayurvedic doctors that deal with both acute as well as chronic conditions and treat them successfully. Vaidya Karanvir singh is the best doctor for blemishes that not only treat the condition symptomatically but also the root cause. CAC provides Blemishes Go kit that contain combination of medicines that treat the blemishes effectively.
CAC Blemishes Go Kit contains
CAC Blemishes Go Kit
- Detox premium powder
- Skin Glow Kadha
- Blood Purifier
- Aloe vera gel
- Twak tail
- Skin care tablet
- Panchatikta ghrita guggulu
For more details you can visit our website
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.