- The liver is the largest and probably the most important organ of our body. The most important function of the liver is to detox the body. It helps in flushing out all natural and environmental toxins and pathogenic organisms from the body.
- From storing carbohydrates to producing proteins, absorbing nutrients, the liver performs very important functions in our body. It also helps in the formation of bile. In addition, it also breaks down toxins such as alcohol, drugs and byproducts of metabolism.
- If your liver is healthy, then your whole body functions properly. That’s why it’s important to take a diet that supports your liver and helps it stay healthy. Let us know what the signs of liver damage are and what foods you can take for this-
- If your liver is not working properly or has become unhealthy, then your body shows some symptoms.
Some of these symptoms are mentioned here
- Yellowing of your skin and eyes
- Right side pain in abdomen
- Abdominal swelling
- Feeling unwell all the time
- To be confused
FOODS FOR LIVER HEALTH
- Dandelion tea
- Green tea
DESCRIPTION OF HEALTHY FOODS
- Beetroot – this food is a treasure trove of nutrition but it is much underrated. It is a powerful detox element. You can consume it in the form of a glass of juice or soup. Beetroot provides the body with vitamin C, which makes it act as an antioxidant. It also helps in protecting the liver from damage.
- Garlic – It is one of the most powerful liver detox. A single pod of fresh garlic can do wonders for your liver, as it contains high amounts of selenium, which enables liver enzymes to flush toxins out of the body. Garlic contains allicin which helps in reducing the risk of cancer, and also keeps fatty liver away.
- Berry – Berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries protect your liver from damage. The antioxidants present in the berry prevent the damaged cells of the liver from releasing enzymes into the blood. Berry boosts metabolism, can help prevent fatty liver and is beneficial in flushing out toxins from the digestive system.
- Broccoli – Broccoli contains high amounts of iron, vitamins and antioxidants, however, they also contain glucosinolate, a compound. This enables the liver to produce detoxifying enzymes. Apart from broccoli, you can also consume leafy green vegetables which are great for detoxifying the liver.
- Dandelion Tea – You can make this tea in an instant. Its leaves, roots and stems all have medicinal properties, the most prominent of which is its anti-inflammatory benefits. Dandelion tea acts directly on the bile duct of the body, and helps to heal the liver naturally, while keeping the body’s entire digestive system, including the gallbladder, in check.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains a main chemical called curcumin. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants. These properties of turmeric play the most important role in healing your liver. It also helps in promoting the production of bile, as well as improves the function of the gall bladder.
- Grapefruit – Grapefruit contains antioxidants that help protect the liver naturally. Grapefruit contains two main antioxidants – naringenin and naringin. These antioxidants may reduce the development of fibrosis in the liver. This is a harmful condition in which excessive connective tissue starts forming in the liver.
- Green Tea – Green tea contains powerful compounds known as catechins. They act as antioxidants in the body, help fight free radicals inside the blood, reduce inflammation of the liver and reduce the effects of oxidative stress on the digestive organs.
- Coffee – Coffee is one of the best beverages that can help improve the health of your liver. Studies show that drinking coffee can protect against liver diseases. Drinking coffee is associated with a lower risk of cirrhosis, or permanent liver damage, in people with chronic liver disease.
- Grapes – Grapes, especially red and purple grapes, contain many beneficial plant compounds. One of these is resveratrol, which has many health benefits. Several animal studies have shown that grapefruit and grapefruit juice can benefit the liver. Studies have found that they have many benefits, including reducing inflammation, preventing damage, and increasing antioxidant levels.