In Ayurveda Ulcerative colitis is correlated to “Grahni roga” in which mainly pitta dosha is imbalanced along with the kapha dosha. The Rakta & Mamsa Dhatu are affected in the body with this disease. These all are due to including excessive Pitta vardhak ahar in your diet.
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease. In this stage, inflammation occurs in the large intestine and rectum. The disease is similar to Crohn’s disease. Ulcerative colitis is treated as an autoimmune disease. Up to 60% of patients with ulcerative colitis stop taking food to reduce its symptoms. However, this problem somehow can be overcome with surgery. However, diet also plays an important role in relieving the symptoms of ulcerative colitis and its effects. Our food and drink has a great effect on this disease. If someone has ulcerative colitis, some changes in his diet plan are necessary.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
Before knowing about ulcerative colitis diet plan, know what are its symptoms. Symptoms of ulcerative colitis may be different in every patient. In some it is more serious than in some it is less serious. Most people have mild symptoms. Some of its symptoms are as follows:-
- Stomach ache and cramps
- A loud voice over the intestine.
- Blood and pus in the stool.
- Your stomach is already empty, yet you feel as if you have to pass a bowel movement. Along with this, abdominal pain, cramps and pressure.
- Loss of weight
- Slow development of children
- Joint pain and swelling
- Mouth ulcers (ulcers)
- nausea and vomiting
- Lumps or ulcers in the skin
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis
Before ulcerative colitis diet plan it is also necessary for you to know its cause. According to the researchers there can be many reasons for ulcerative colitis. This problem can occur due to the overactive immune system. The job of the immune system is to protect the body from germs and other harmful things. But sometimes this immune system messes up in our body, which can cause inflammation and tissue damage.
The following people are more likely to have ulcerative colitis:-
- In people aged 15 to 30 years or over 60 years.
- People who eat a high fat diet.
- People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.
- Those who use birth control pills.
What to Eat in Ulcerative Colitis?
In the ulcerative colitis diet plan it is necessary for you to know what to eat in this situation.
Low Fiber Foods
In ulcerative colitis it is advisable to eat foods with low fiber. These patients can also eat those who have had surgery recently. It is advisable to consume only 10 to 15 grams of fiber daily in a low fiber diet.
- Low fiber fruits: Low fiber fruits like bananas, melon, sweet melon, apples, cherries, apricots, mangoes, peaches, plum, pineapple, strawberries, tangerine, grapefruit etc.
- Low fiber cereals: such as oatmeal, corn flax, rice, flour including bran, multigrain flour etc.
- Low-fiber vegetables: such as bean sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, mushrooms, onions, potatoes, green peppers, radishes, tomatoes. Eat them when seeds and peels have come out.
Protein Rich Diet
Ulcerative colitis patients can eat fish, soy, eggs and tofu etc.
You can also drink homemade shakes.
Know why to include satvik food in the diet for a healthy life.
What Not to Eat in Ulcerative Colitis?
- Insoluble fiber-rich foods: hard to digest, such as raw vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, whole nuts and whole grains.
- Milk and milk products: Contain sugar. The problem of this disease can be increased by eating a few things left over from the milk products. So, avoid eating milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream. This will relieve you from diarrhea, stomach pain and gas.
- Non-Absorbed Sugar: Things that contain high amounts of sugar such as candy, ice cream or some fruits or juices such as pears, peaches. Pastries, candies, and juices that contain a lot of sugar.
- High fat and greasy foods: e.g. butter coconut cream etc.
- Alcohol and caffeine-rich beverages: such as beer, wine, soda, or coffee.
- Chili spicy food or junk food.
Ulcerative Colitis Diet Plan
First of all, get up in the morning and drink one or two glasses of water.
Breakfast (8: 30 AM): In breakfast you can have Oatmeal / Poha / 2 Roti + Boiled Vegetable / Sprouts etc.
Keep in mind, the roti should be either made of flour with bran or made from multigrain flour.
Day Meal (12: 30-01: 30 PM): 2 Loaves + Green Vegetables + Lentils + Lettuce + Lassi + Rice or Khichdi
Evening Meal (03:30 PM): Juice / Soup / Buttermilk / Chopped Fruits / Coconut Water
Dinner (7: 00 – 8:00 PM): 2 Loaves + Vegetables + Lentils
Keep these things in mind
In the ulcerative colitis diet plan, it is not necessary that you have to eat only three times a day. You can also eat 6 times. Just keep in mind that your diet is balanced, healthy and in moderation.
Drink More Water
Drink as much water as possible during the day. Eat other healthy beverages like fresh juice, soup, coconut water, buttermilk etc. However, drinking alcoholic beverages can increase your diarrhea problem. In addition, carbonated beverages continuously produce gas. In such a situation, stay away from these things. Drinking 1 glass of coconut water in the morning also gives good results.
Although stress is not the cause of ulcerative colitis. But if the patient is stressed then the symptoms of this disease can get worse. Therefore, follow the ulcerative colitis diet plan and try to stay away from stress.
Exercise is necessary to avoid stress and reduce the symptoms of this disease. Along with this, your stomach will also be right. You will also benefit from biking, yoga, swimming etc. Do as many physical activities as possible. This will cause perspiration and improve your digestive system.
Use the method of boiling, steaming and grilling for cooking. Do not eat fried food.
Take appropriate medicines without carelessness.
Keep a record of what you eat or what symptoms you see. Seek doctor’s advice if you have more problems.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis with Herbal Remedies
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre the best centre that dealing with chronic patients since 131 years provides “Ulcerative Colitis Care Kit” that treats this disease easily.
1. Detox Premium Powder
These are herbal-mineral sachet especially designed for the ulcerative colitis patients. The various ingredients used for the formation of these sachets are prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma that in combination provide good relief on the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients.
- Shukta pishti: The bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that give deal with the ulcerative colitis patients.
- Prawal pishti: It is made from coral calcium that reduces bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis patients.
- Giloy satv: This herbal satv remove all toxins from the body. It reduces excessive Pitta from the body associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Jahar Mohra pishti: The antidiarrheal property of this pishti stops loose stools that are the main symptoms in ulcerative colitis patient.
- Kehrva pishti: This pishti provides good results in rectal bleeding, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal inflammation related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Sutshekhar ras: This preparation reduces bloating & gastritis. It provides calming effect on the body.
- Akik pishti: It is a mineral-based medicine that reduces excessive heat, weakness, & general debility.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras is beneficial in burning sensation, loose stools, bleeding tendencies related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Moti bhasma: The anti-inflammatory property of this herb reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Pitshekhar Ras
It is an herbal preparation used to cure ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis is mainly due to vitiated pitta doshas. So, the main function of Pittashekhar ras is to balance pitta doshas in the body. It has a cooling effect and it is helpful in symptoms like headache, heaviness, burning sensation, acidic reflux, abdominal pain, etc. The main ingredients found are Shuddha Gandhak, Shankh Bhasma, Tankan Bhasma, Tamra Bhasma, Sonth, Pippali, Maricha, Dalchini, Bael, Tejpata, etc. It is pure, free from chemicals, additives, colors and fillers.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water before 30 mins of a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati
It is an herbal formulation that is safe without any side effects. It is prepared from ingredients like Kutaj, Shankh bhasma, & Musta. These ingredients help to treat chronic diarrhea associated with ulcerative colitis. It is also helpful in ama digestion i.e. removal of toxins from the body, rectal bleeding, colon inflammation and abdominal cramps.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
4. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. Therefore, stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after meal.
5. Amalpitmishran Syrup
It is pure herbal combination consist of ingredients like Vasa (Adhatoda vasica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bahera (Terminalia bellirica), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Mukta shukta bhasam, etc. In ayurveda its uses are in hyperacidity, gastritis, nausea, vomiting, headache, abdominal pain and anorexia. It mainly balances vitiated pitta doshas.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
6. Digestion Support Tablet
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadim that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence and constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
7. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended Dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.