Cinnamon (Dalchini) is found in Himalayan region, Ceylon and Malaya. Based on the countries of origin, it is categorized into three forms:-
- Cinnamomum cassia: It comes from China and its bark is thick.
- Cinnamomum spp.:- It is imported in India from Sri Lanka. It is thinner than that found in China, sweeter and less bitter. For medicinal purposes, cinnamon from Sinhal Island is the best.
- Cinnamomum tamala: – It is thick, less bitter and when grinded with water, it becomes sticky. Its leaves are known as tejpat. This variety found in India and China is called Taj. Taj does not have oil and only the bark is used. Cinnamon is used as a common spice in cooking.
Cinnamon (Dalchini) ever green tree is 15-20 ft fall. Its leaves are frontal, leathery, 3-5inch long and upper part is shiny with 2-4 veins. When crushed, leaves release a pungent odour. The taste of leaves is bitter. Flowers are long, and grow in bunches. They also have a pungent smell. The fruits are 1\2 to 1 inch long, oval, dark purple and bell shaped.
Cinnamon (Dalchini) promotes digestion, cure gastric problems, and improve liver function. It is pitta shamak, analgesic and purifies mouth. It cures foul smell of the mouth and sore throat. It also strengthens heart.
MEDICINAL USAGE & BENEFITS
- Soak a piece of cotton in cinnamon oil and apply on the aching tooth.
- Use its 5-6 leaves to brush the teeth. It cleans the teeth and the teeth become shiny, white.
Take 2 ½ gm. cinnamon, 500mg cloves, and 1gm ginger root. Boil them in 1/2 liter water till water is reduced to 200ml. Strain the solution. Give 40ml of this solution thrice a day. It cures influenza fever.
Put 2drops of cinnamon oil in ears. It cures the deafness.
Apply the cinnamon oil on eyes. It cures the flickering of eyes and also improves eyesight.
COUGH, CHRONIC RHINITIS:-
Give ¼ teaspoonful cinnamon powder with 1 teaspoonful slightly warm honey three times a day. It cures cough.
- Apply paste of 7-9 leaves of cinnamon on forehead. It gives relief in headache due to excessive cold or heat. After the patient gets the relief, wash off the paste.
- Apply cinnamon oil on forehead. It cures headache due to cold.
- Prepare paste of cinnamon and apply on forehead, or take the juice of cinnamon and apply on forehead. It cures headache due to cold.
Give 5-15gm decoction with 150gm mastagi. It cures hiccoughs due to cough.
Give very little quantity of cinnamon oil. It kills the warms.
Take 5-10 gm. cinnamon powder and 10-20gm honey and form a paste. Use this paste to massage. Along with the massage, give 1 cup warm water with tablespoonful honey and 1 gm cinnamon powder mixed in it, thrice a day to the patient.
- Decoction of cinnamon stop bleeding. Therefore, in case where there is bleeding in lungs, uterus or any other type of blood loss, give 5-10gm decoction very morning, afternoon, and evening.
- In case of blood loss from any part of body, give 1 teaspoonful cinnamon powder with 1cup water, 2-3 times a day.
Give 1gm teaspoonful honey and 2 teaspoonful cinnamon powder with ½ cup water, thrice a day. It reduces the cholesterol level.
- Give 4gm cinnamon powder in 1 teaspoonful honey, thrice a day. It cures stomach problems, diarrhea, indigestion, loose motion and swelling of the stomach caused by indigestion or accumulation of wind.
- Mix 650mg cinnamon powder and 650 mg catechu powder. Give this to the patient to be taken orally with water. Repeat this 1-2 times a day. It cures diarrhea.
- Massage the cinnamon oil on stomach. It cures the intestinal spasm.
- Prepare paste of 2gm cinnamon and 8gm catechu. ADD 150gm boiled water in it and keep it covered for at least 1hour. Strain the solution after 1hour and give half portion of it to the patient twice. It cures loose motion.
- Give 5-10 gm decoction of cinnamon and clove. It stops vomits.
- Give bael fruit juice with 3-6 gm cinnamon powder sprinkled in it, every morning and evening. It cures diarrhea.
- In case of vomiting , give 15-20 gm decoction of cinnamon.
- Incase of stomach pain and vomiting, give 6-10 ml oil with 16 gm sugar candy to the patient.
In case of communicable fever, give 2 teaspoonful honey with 6 gm. cinnamon powder, every morning afternoon and evening.
Excessive intake may cause headache in people with warm nature. Cinnamon should not be given to pregnant ladies as it aborts the foetus. It placed in vagina, it may cause abortion.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.