Introduction – Diarrhea occurs when passing loose or watery bowel movements three or more times in a day. In diarrhea, the lining of the intestine is unable to absorb fluid, or it actively secretes fluid. There are many causes of diarrhea including infection and inflammation in the stomach. Many cases of diarrhea are self-limiting and do not need specific treatment but drinking plenty of liquids in diarrhea to avoid dehydration.
Causes – Diarrhea have many different causes including the following:
- Infection – Infectious diarrhea is most commonly caused by viruses passed from person to person, or by eating, drinking food and water contaminated with viruses, bacteria such as Salmonella, or parasite such as Cryptosporidium.
- Change in diet – This can also be the cause of Diarrhoea.
- Lactose intolerance – Some people have diarrhea after eating foods containing fructose or artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol and mannitol.
- Drinking excess alcohol
- Bowel conditions– such as inflammatory bowel disease
- Malabsorption– due to problems with the pancreas).
- Surgery– when part of the bowel has been removed).
- Medicines– sometimes medicines cause diarrhea as a side effect as Antibiotics are a common example.
- Watery stools
- Upset stomach or cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Salt and sugar – mix a teaspoon of salt and sugar in a cup of water and sip it as many is the best way to replenish the lost fluids.
- Probiotics – Probiotics are sources of good bacteria that work in the intestinal tract to create a healthy gut environment. They are essentially live microorganisms that exist in certain foods including aged soft cheeses, cottage cheese, dark chocolate, green olives, kimchi, miso, pickles, sourdough bread, and yogurt
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds – One teaspoon of fenugreek seeds should be swallowed without chewing with a cup of curds, buttermilk, or water for immediate relief from diarrhea.
- Mint (pudina) – Mix one teaspoon of mint leaves with lime juice and honey drink thrice daily for excellent results.
- Apples – A cooked or a stewed apple took every day is good medicine for diarrhea because it contains fiber. Fiber binds the stool together in diarrhea and helps control it.
- Garlic (lehsun): Garlic is another natural remedy that fights against diarrhea and helps to kill parasites. It is a powerful and effective antibiotic and aids digestion too.
- Banana – eat fruits like bananas and apples they are rich in potassium which helps to maintain the fluid balance in our body.
- White bread toast – white bread is low in fiber and thus helps to control diarrhea.
Foods to be avoided when you have Diarrhea
- Spicy and oily foods
- Sweets and chocolates
- Fermented foods like dhokla, idlis, dosas, cheese, etc.
- Uncooked fruits and vegetables
- Pickles, canned and processed foods
Tips to Avoid Diarrhea
- Always wash your hands twice a day with soap before eating anything.
- Eat fresh foods that have been well cooked.
- Avoid local drinking water in places where there is a high risk of diarrhea.
- Avoid consuming foods from food stalls on the street, because they are unhygienic.
- Avoid consuming chilled drinks.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.