VERTIGO DEFINITION – It cause dizziness that creates false sense to people. People feel their surroundings are spinning or moving round.
Common causes include:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo – most common cause of vertigo and creates a brief sense that people spinning or moving. These episodes are triggered by a rapid change in head movement such as a blow to the head.
- Infection – A viral infection in vestibular nerve called vestibular neuritis cause intense and constant vertigo.
- Meniere’s disease – When excessive fluid builds up in the inner ear result sudden episodes of vertigo that last for several hours.
- Migraine – it induced vertigo that last for minutes to hours.
- Balance problems
- A sense of motion sickness
- Nausea and vomiting
- A feeling of fullness in the ear
- Uncontrollably eye movements usually from side to side
HOME REMEDIES FOR VERTIGO
- Ginger root can decrease the effects of vertigo better than manual repositioning.
- Ginger root can be dipped into a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Honey can help with the bitter taste.
- Drink ginger tea twice a day may help in dizziness, nausea, and other vertigo symptoms.
- Almonds are rich source of vitamins A, B, and E.
- Eating daily handful of almonds can help with vertigo symptoms.
- Dehydration can cause vertigo.
- Mild dehydration can trigger vertigo.
- Staying hydrated can help in minimize the dizziness and balance issues.
- The body needs 8 to 12 cups of liquid per day this includes all liquids but water is the best option because it is calorie- and caffeine-free and not a diuretic.
- Diuretics increase the amount of water and salt the body expels as urine.
Apple cider vinegar and honey
- Both apple cider vinegar and honey have curative properties to relieve blood flow to the brain.
- Two teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can prevent and treat vertigo.
- Yoga can help to regain balance, focus, coordination, and movement and reduced the effects of vertigo.
- Simple positions like Child’s Pose with deep, regular breaths can calm the body and mind.
- Reducing anxiety.
- Yoga and deep breathing prevent vertigo attacks in some people.
Epley Maneuver Technique
- The Epley Maneuver technique is advised by physical therapists for managing Vertigo at home.
- This Technique involves a series of head-tilting exercises which Vertigo patients are required to do before they go to bed at night.
- Exercise involve head movements for repositioning loose calcium carbonate crystals inside the inner ear.
- Essential oils can also be useful in managing Vertigo symptoms like headache, nausea, and dizziness.
- These oils can be inhaled or applied topically to relieve the condition.
- Some beneficial essential oils for treating Vertigo include peppermint, lavender, lemon, and ginger essential oils.
Adequate Amount of Sleep
- Lack of sleep or sleep deprivation can be one of the causes of Vertigo attacks.
- A short duration of sleep during Vertigo attack can help to managing the condition in a natural way by resolving the feelings of dizziness and spinning.
Avoid Alcohol Consumption
- Avoiding alcohol completely or cut its consumption can be helpful in managing Vertigo symptoms.
- Alcohol trigged feeling of dizziness, affect body balance, and give dehydrating effect on the body.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.