Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a digestive disease that occurs when acidic stomach juices, or food and fluids back from the stomach into the esophagus. GERD affects people of all ages—from infants to older adults.
Ayurveda distinguishes Acid reflux illness as Amlapitta.The infection frequently gives indications like Indigestion (Avipaak), sluggishness (Klama), queasiness (Utklesa), harsh and unpleasant burping (Tikta-Amla Udgaar), greatness (Gauravata), heart and throat consume (Hrit-Kantha Daha) and aversion towards food ( Aruchi).
Amlapitta (Hyperacidity) is one of the commonest vyadhi (illness) of annavahasrotas (Gastrointestinal track issue), 3 brought about by vitiated agni (Appetite). Amlapitta (Hyperacidity) is a condition where amlaguna (Sour) of pachak pitta (Gastric juice) increments due to samata causing vyadhi (Disease) condition.
Causes for Amlapitta
1) Aharaj (Dietary reason):
This incorporates different sorts of broken dietary propensities which are against the typical propensities as referenced in Ayurveda. As indicated by Kashyap Virudha Ahara (Contradictory eating regimen), Adhyasana (food after dinner),
Ama Bhojana (to burn-through food albeit past food isn’t processed), AjeernaBhojana (consistent heartburn), Guru (substantial dinner), Snigdha Bhojana. ( slick food), Ati Rukshanna (unnecessary dry food), and so on causes Agnimandya (loss of hunger) that leads Amlapitta (hyperacidity).
Acharya Madhavakara says that expanded Pitta (gastric juice) is disturbing element answerable for Amlapitta (hyperacidity)
This incorporates the variables which are contrary to the guidelines of ordinary sterile conduct. It is of two sorts –
- Excessive actual work.
- No or less actual work.
Unnecessary actual work incorporates more exercise than the ordinary, Ratri-jagarana, Dhatukshaya, Upavasa and so forth, which causes Vata Pitta Prakopa. Kashyapa makes reference to that the causative factor might be Vegadharana, Divaswapa after admission of Bhojana, more Snana. Thus, the above factor causes Jatharagnimandya that prompts the illness Amlapitta.
Symptoms of Amlapitta
- Acid reflux.
- Spewing forth (food returns into your mouth from the throat).
- The sensation of food trapped in your throat.
- Chest torment.
- Issue gulping.
- Sore throat and raspiness.
Childrens and youngsters can encounter comparative indications of GERD, as well as:
- Regular little spewing scenes.
- Inordinate crying, not having any desire to eat (in children and babies).
- Other respiratory (breathing) challenges.
- Regular acrid taste of corrosive, particularly when resting.
- Raspy throat.
- Sensation of gagging that may awaken the youngster.
- Awful breath.
- Trouble resting subsequent to eating, particularly in newborn children.
Management of Amlapitta
Do’s (Pathya) in Amlapitta– ;
- Light food, coconut water, articles having cooling properties.
- Vegetables like white pumpkin, severe gourd, developed debris gourd, verdant vegetables aside from methi.
- Wheat, old rice, grain, green gram, sugar sweets, cucumber
- Fruits like gooseberry, dry grapes, dark grapes, sweet lime, pomegranate, fig, dry fig,
- Take satisfactory measure of liquids like pomegranate juice, lemon juice, amla juice, sweetlime juice, sedated water with ushir (wala) or coriander seeds, or laja (puffed rice) tepid water.
- Dadimpak (sweet planning made of pomegranate)
- Moramla (jam produced using amla), gulkand (jam made from flower petals) with milk
- some tepid milk after each a few hours
- One teaspoonful of ghee with warm milk
- Take satisfactory rest and rest
- Practice Yoga, pranayam, reflection
Don’ts in Amlapitta ;
- Avoid unnecessary zesty, harsh and pungent substances.
- Avoid singed and shoddy nourishment things.
- Do not stay hungry. Stay away from quick.
- Do not gorge, take little regular suppers .
- Avoid unfavorable and sporadic food propensity.
- Avoid food varieties containing overabundance measure of garlic, salt, oil, chillies, and so forth
- Avoid rice, curd and acrid natural products.
- Avoid resting following food and in recumbent position. The best suggested position is left sidelong.
- Avoid smoking, liquor, tea, espresso and headache medicine type drugs.
- Avoid pressure
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.