Cholesterol is a wax-like substance produced in the liver and plays an important role in the normal functioning of the body. It keeps the walls of cells of the body flexible and needed for the creation of several hormones. but when cholesterol production is more than normal then it leads to health problems. High cholesterol levels can lead to many health-related issues like severe heart diseases, Hypertension, Respiratory disorders, and many more.
How does cholesterol affects your health ?
There are mainly two types of cholesterol – High density lipids and Low density lipids . High density lipids takes the cholesterol away from the blood vessels and prevents heart diseases. That’s why known as good cholesterol .On the other hand low density lipids results in cholesterol deposits in blood vessel walls . This leads to clogged arteries , strokes, heart attacks. So known as bad cholesterol.
While triglycerides ( a type of fat cells ) are an important energy supply for your body, having too many triglycerides in your blood can increase your risk for heart disease.
Daily diet plan helps in attaining and maintaining your health goals. High levels cholesterol and triglycerides can be prevented and effectively controlled by a combination of a good diet, exercise , ideal body weight and an overall healthy lifestyle.
Here are some home remedies that will help you to control your high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Garlic is commonly used from ancient times for its health enhancing properties . Garlic constitutes amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and many other compounds such as allicin, s-allylcysteine, s-ethylcysteine, and diallylsulfide. These componuds contains sulphur due to which garlic possess therapeutic properties . Garlic is very effective in reducing total and mainly LDL cholesterol.
How to take –
- Consume 1/2 to 1 garlic clove daily empty stomach in the morning . This will help to lower your cholesterol level by up to 9%.
- Add garlic in your daily meal
- Commonly used in Indian cooking, garlic has been known for its health enhancing properties
- Green Tea
Green tea is commonly and widely used liquid after water . Green tea is a rich source of polyphenols. Green tea has the highest concentration of polyphenols associated with not only lowering LDL Cholesterol but also increasing HDL Cholesterol.
Read Also: CAC CHOLESTEROL CARE TABLETS
3. Coriander Seeds
Dhaniya seeds have been used in Ayurveda for a number of health disorders . Coriander seed contains important vitamins like folic acid, vitamin A and beta-carotene, and vitamin C. All these helps to increase HDL and lower triglycerides levels .
How to use
- Take 1-2 tsp of Dhaniya seeds and add in 2 glass of water , reduce this to half glass and consume this .
- Add this into your daily diet.
Honey is good source of vitamins and and helps us maintain cholesterol. Because of its antioxidants properties honey don’t let cholesterol move out of the blood and prevents the depositions of cholesterol to walls of blood vessels.
How to use
- Take 1 teaspoon honey and add in a cup of water. Also add add 8-10 drops of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon lemon juice and drink it.
Turmeric is effectively used to treat inflammation , infections and various gastrointestinal issues. Turmeric contains compound i.e. Curcumin due to which turmeric posses its medicinal properties. Turmeric cuts down deposited cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels and also prevents its further deposition.
How to use
- Take 1/2 tsp of turmeric , mix it in warm water and drink this solution after waking up in the morning.
- Add some turmeric in glass of milk and take this before sleeping this will reduce bad cholesterol.
- Add turmeric to your vegetables.
- Fenugreek seeds OR Methi seeds
Methi seeds good source of Vitamin E and possess anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Methi seeds also contain saponins that help to remove cholesterol from the body and also it lower it synthesis in the liver .
How to use
- Take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of methi seeds daily is with luke warm water
- Take decoction of methi seeds or you can add this in your herbal tea.
Amla is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C. In addition to minerals and amino acids phenolic compounds. The fruit of amla has been widely used from ancient times and is known as rasayana. Because of rejuvenating properties it not only helps in lowering cholesterol but also protect against CAD and atherosclerosis.
How to use
- One to Two amla should be consumed daily.
- Amla powder can be taken with Luke warm water.
- Amla juice can be taken 2-4 tsp empty stomach
Read Also: CHOLESTEROL-AYURVEDA DIET AND MANAGEMENT
Flaxseeds are rich source of alpha-linolenic acid, an essential omega-3 fatty acids which are very beneficial to lower your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides levels.
How to use
- Add one tsp of powdered flaxseeds in a warm glass water and mix it properly and then drink immediately.
9.Choose diet that lowers cholesterol
- Wheat and barley are specifically mentioned in Ayurveda as grains that helps in natural fat reduction l. Oats , millets , old rice are other options to include in diet.
- Take high fibrous diet – vegetables like broccoli, carrots and banana stem, adequately spiced.
- Have fruits in moderation like apples, berries, pears, and limited quantities of nuts and seeds.
- Limit your sugar intake
Added sugar is commonly found in sweets, fruit juices , soft drinks . This has become a major part in our diet. Extra sugar in diet may be turned into triglycerides, which leads to an increase in blood triglyceride levels, along with other heart disease risk factors. Some changes in these kind of diet may give you good results in decreasing triglycerides levels. Always choose a low carb diet and replace this sugar sweetened beverages with green tea or herbal tea.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.