WHAT IS IMMUNITY ?
Immunity is the body’s ability to protect the body against the invasion of pathogens.
ROLE OF IMMUNITY
Immunity against any disease is attained by the presence of antibodies to that disease in a person’s system. Immunity of all the individuals is not same . It depends upon number of factors for example
- It is noticed that instead of living in same infected surrounding and consuming same kind of food and drinks only some persons get affected while others remain healthy or unaffected .
- It is also seen that some of the persons get rid of their disease very fast even without treatments and others not.
- The occurrence or non – occurrence of diseases and variance in the severity of symptoms in individuals.
All these factors depends upon immunity. Further immunity of a person depends upon several factors like Natural constituent of the body , Age , Diet , Environmental factors , health condition of the body and many more .
In this pandemic of covid-19 concern of immunity have become very important. A properly functioning immune system helps you to protect from many kind of infections and you can perform your daily life activities smoothly. Without a healthy immune system, you could pick up infections and more easily and can have serious effects on your health. So it is very important to make your immune system strong enough to fight against infections .
The best way you can strengthen your immune system by doing some life style and dietary modifications. Here are some key ones.
Eat Healthy :
The nutrients you get from – In particular plant based food like fruits , vegetables , herbs , spices – are essential to keeping your immune system functioning properly. As many plant based foods have antiviral , anti microbial properties that helps to boosts your immunity and fight against infections.
Citrus fruits like orange , grape fruit, lime , lemon , papaya , kiwis , broccoli , carrots all are very good sources of vitamin A , C while nuts will provide protein , vitamin E , Zinc . Always add fruits and veggies to your food in form of salads , soups etc.
Take plenty of fluids :
Hydration not only protect your body from germs and virus but by preventing dehydration is important to your health.
Add green or black tea in your daily diet. Both green and black tea have properties antioxidant.
Ayurvedic herbs to increase immunity :
Ayurveda have a treasure of herbs that are from ancient times are being used to enhance immunity and protecting against various health related disorders There are number of ayurvedic herbs that are very effective strengthen immunity . Some of the herbs are :
- Giloy is one of the most valuable herb in the ayurveda that has been used widely not only to increase immunity but as a treatment for many kind of ailments.
- Giloy powder activate the immune system. It is also known to stimulate the function immune cells in the blood.
- Giloy helps in natural detoxification of the body thus helps in managing various kind of infections and boosts immunity.
- Giloy can be taken by making decoction of this or by taking as herbal tea.
- Tulsi or holy basil (Ocimum Sanctum) is one of the best medicinal herbs on the planet. The herb has excellent properties, a few drops of tulsi water dropped in foods helps in purification and kill germs as well. Tulsi water helps toxins to remove out the body.
- Ginger is another ingredient many turn to after getting sick. Ginger may help decrease inflammation, acts as anti microbial and anti pyretic agent.
- Ginger is used by adding in tea or make simple decoction with ginger and take it .
- Turmeric has been used for years at our homes in many forms. This has been used as an anti-inflammatory, anti microbial , anti oxidant agent . Curcumin, a chemical constituent in turmeric have anti – inflammatory properties and boosts immunity .Curcumin has promise as an immune booster and an antiviral.
- It can be taken as adding 1-2 tsp in milk and by making decoction or herbal tea.
Exercise daily :
Take out time from your busy schedule and exercise daily for at least half an hour to ensure a faster metabolic rate, and efficient fat-burning. Physical activities like Walking, running, cycling, yoga, or swimming are best ways to exercise.
Regular , moderate exercise helps in maintaining metabolism of the body and help your immune cells to regenerate.
Manage your Stress levels :
- Try Yoga and breathing exercises – Studies have been shown that combining Ayurveda with yoga leads to significant weight lose . Many asanas like Surya namaskar , Pawanmukt asana , Dhanurasana etc. improve metabolism , stress.
- Meditation has wonderful results in reducing stress as it has calming effect on mind .
Get proper sleep :
Getting adequate rest may strengthen your natural immunity. A Proper sleep of 6-8 hrs should be taken roper rest to your body . Always get proper sleep , avoid late night sleeping and also sleeping during day time as this cause accumulation of toxins in your body .
Say no to junk food :
Always avoid the diet that takes lots of time digest like un saturated fats . Avoid the oily , junk, fried and fatty food .. All this kind of food weakens your immune system.
Avoid cigarette smoking and much alcohol :
Drinking high amounts of alcohol and cigarette smoking is associated with range of negative health effects including lowered immune function.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.