Hydronephrosis is the swelling of kidney due to collection of urine in the kidney. It occurs when urine cannot drain out from the kidney to the bladder due to blockage or obstruction. It can occur in one or both kidneys. Urinary tract play important role to remove wastes and fluid from the body. The urinary tract has four parts that are the kidneys, the ureters, the bladder, and the urethra. The formation of urine is occur when the kidneys filter blood and remove excess waste materials and fluid through urine. Urine collects into a part of the kidney known as the renal pelvis, from that the urine travels down a narrow tube called the ureter into the bladder. The bladder slowly fills up with urine, which drained from the body through another small tube called the urethra. Hydronephrosis occurs when there is a blockage of the outflow of urine, or reverse flow of urine already in the bladder that can cause the renal pelvis to enlarge. Hydronephrosis may or may not cause symptoms. The main symptom of hydronephrosis is pain, either in the side and back abdomen and groin. Other symptoms can include pain during urination, increased urge or frequency, incomplete urination, incontinence, nausea, and fever. These symptoms depend on the cause and severity of the urinary blockage.
Hydronephrosis is usually caused by another underlying illness and risk factors. Causes of hydronephrosis include:
- Kidney stone
- Congenital blockage (present at birth)
- Blood clot
- Scarring of tissue (due to injury or previous surgery)
- Tumor or cancer in bladder, cervical, colon or prostate
- Enlarged prostate
- Urinary tract infection
- Partial blockage in the urinary tract – Urinary tract blockages from where the kidney meets the ureter. Less commonly the blockages may occur where the ureter meets the bladder.
- Vesicoureteral reflux – Vesicoureteral reflux happens when urine flows backward through the ureter from the bladder up into the kidney.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Pain in the side and back that may radiate to the lower abdomen or groin.
- Urinary problems such as pain with urination or feeling an urgent or frequent need to urinate.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Failure to thrive, in infants
- Blood test – to evaluate kidney function
- Urine test – to check signs of infection or urinary stones that cause a blockage
- Ultrasound imaging exam – View the kidneys, bladder, and other urinary structures to identify potential problems.
- Specialized X-ray of the urinary tract – It uses a special dye to outline the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra, capturing images before and during urination
- If necessary, the doctor recommends additional imaging exams, such as a CT scan or MRI.
- Gokshuru Capsules – Gokshuru capsules are pure ayurvedic medicine which is very effective in kidney disorders as it has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling of the abdomen. It also acts as diuretic which causes increased urine secretion from the body and removal of all the toxins. These capsules contain pure extract of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris). It provides effective result in acute & chronic kidney disease, chronic renal failure, cystitis, and urethritis, nephropathy, and urinary tract infections.
Recommended Dosage: Take one capsule twice daily with normal water.
- Kidney Care Tablet – kidney plays an important role in keeping the whole body clean, well-fueled, strong and functioning properly. Kidney failure puts the body at risk, allowing waste to accumulate and damage the kidneys from inside. It is a good idea to do a kidney cleansing and keep a check on the health of the kidneys in your middle and old age. The toxins that buildup results in nausea or feeling sick to the stomach, lack of concentration and blood pressure changes are all symptoms of kidney failure.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
- UTI Care Tablet – UTI Care Tablets helps to treat Urinary tract infections along with the diseases related to kidney, ureters, urinary bladder, and urethra. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients which are Yavakshar (Hordeum vulgare), kalmi Shora (Pottasium nitrate), Naushadar (Ammonium chloride), Swarna Gairik (Red ochre), etc. UTI Care Tablets are also beneficial in kidney stones, chronic kidney disease, renal colic, burning sensation or pain during micturition, and Hypertension.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
- Detox Premium Powder – The powder contains all the Ayurvedic herbs which strengthen the immune system of the body and prevents the various complications by potentiating immune system. The powder includes:
- Parwal Pishti – Parwal pishti is prepared from Coral calcium. It is mainly used in Pitta related disorders and helpful in bleeding disorders. This pishti relieves Ama dosha and improves the digestion power. It also improves the strength and immunity.
Shukta Pishti – It is prepared from Pearl oyster shell. Shukta pishti pacifies Pitta and Kapha dosha. It is the best ant-acid and relieves the abdominal distention. Shukta pishti reduces the rashes on the arms and legs.
Giloy Satva–Giloy satva includes water-soluble extract of Giloy/Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia). It balances the aggravated pitta and acts as a mild-antipyretic, antacid, and immuno-modulator. It also reduces burning sensation in the hands, feet, and body.
Kamdudha Ras–According to Ayurveda principles, Kamdudha Ras has Sheeta Virya thus it is beneficial in every Pitta Roga classified in Ayurveda. It is beneficial in the symptoms like burning sensation, restlessness, bleeding tendencies, excessive thirst, and hot flashes, vomiting with yellowish or sour water.
Akik Pishti – Akik bhasma contains Silicon Dioxide and some herbal extracts derived into in during processing with Aloe vera and Rose water. It is used in General debility, Restlessness. It works well in loss of appetite, weight loss, and feeling of excessive heat in the body.
Gandhak Rasayan – Gandhak Rasayan is a great antibacterial, antiviral ayurvedic medicine. It acts as an anti-pyretic, analgesic, & blood purifier.
Sutshekhar Ras–It is an important medicine used in Ayurveda, which acts on Pitta dosha and reduces the symptoms like nausea, vomiting, fever, headache, sour taste of mouth, restlessness, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.