Everyone needs a body that is disease free and healthy. Not only major diseases affect our bodies. But sometimes the glands present in our body makes a misbalance. Thyroid gland an endocrine gland present in the neck that contains two lobes connected by an isthmus. This gland produces hormones known as thyroxine/T4, triiodothyronine/T3, & calcitonin. When the thyroid gland in our body produces an excess of thyroxine hormone it is known as Hyperthyroidism. This disease is considered as a metabolic disorder that causes irregular heartbeat and unintentional weight loss.
Hyperthyroidism is serious issue never ignore it as can lead to several other conditions. Women are more affected by this disease as compare to men.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?
The signs and symptoms related to Hyperthyroidism patient are mentioned below:
- Increased appetite
- Weight loss
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Trembling in your hands and fingers
- Muscle weakness
- Skin thinning
- Increased bowel movements sometimes diarrhea
- Brittle hair
- Joints pain
- Brittle bones
- Decreased concentration
- High blood pressure
- Acne on the face
- Mood swings
- Dryness of eyes
- Redness of eyes
- Weak memory
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Muscular cramps
What are the Causes of Hyperthyroidism?
There are different causes of Hyperthyroidism like thyroiditis, Plummer’s disease, & Grave’s disease. As the thyroid gland produces two main hormones thyroxine (T4) & triiodothyronine (T3) these two maintain the carbohydrates and fats, regulate the production of protein, controls body temperature, & the production of protein is regulated. The main reasons for too much production of thyroxine are Grave’s disease, stress, ovarian tumor, testis tumor, thyroid tumor, excess iodine intake, toxic multinodular goiter, & toxic adenoma, wrong eating habits ( intake of excessive processed and unhealthy food products), physical & emotional stress, etc.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Hyperthyroidism?
According to Ayurveda, this disease is due to imbalance in “Agni” metabolic fire. As per the symptoms, both pitta and vata doshas are involved. This imbalance in the doshas finally gives birth to hyperthyroidism. The impaired digestion causes blockage in the micro channels that create an imbalance in the thyroid gland functions.
There are numerous herbs in Ayurveda that treat hyperthyroidism from its root. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete and effective treatment for hyperthyroidism patients known as “Hyperthyroidism Care Kit”. This herbal kit consists of four products:
Description of all products in detail:
1. Thyroheal Tablets:
As the name suggests these tablets are herbal and proper solutions for your hyperthyroidism condition. These herbal tablets are prepared from the herbs like Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Kachnar (Bauhinia variegate), Gandir (Coleus forskohlii), & Shud Guggul (Commiphora mukul). All the herbs in combination maintain the functioning of the thyroid gland.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Kanchnaar Guggulu:
Kanchnaar guggulu is considered as the best medicine for skin problems such as wounds, pimples, boils, etc. The tablet is composed of Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Twak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), etc. These tablets pacifies all the three doshas and helps in reducing the symptoms of pimples. This medicine checks and treats any kind of abnormal growth in the body, healing of ulcers, thyroid disorders, hernia, lesions and cancer. All kind of unwanted growth and fluid retentions in the body is treated by Kanchnar Guggul and it reduces all kinds of lumps in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Re-Active Powder:
This powder is made up of amazing ayurvedic herbs like shatavari, ashwagandha, museli, vadfari kand, shudh shilajit, kaunch beej etc. All these herbs help in overall detoxification of the body and builds up natural immunity, & provides energy to the body.
Recommended dose: Take 10 gm powder with a glass of milk one or twice a day.
4. Panchsakar Churna:
This is an ayurvedic remedy that is prepared from ingredients like Shunti, Haritaki, Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. It mainly acts as a Vatakaphahara. Regular use of this churna gives effective result in loss of appetite, bloating related to piles patient. It also helps in relieving the abdominal pain and constipation very easily.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful daily with warm water at bedtime.
5. Trikatu Syrup:
The main herbs used for the formation of this syrup are Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), & Shunthi (Zingiber officinale). This herbal syrup deals with the signs & symptoms related to hyperthyroid patients. It is very effective syrup for different diseases.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Hyperthyroidism?
Panchakarma is the best way to Detox your body with the ayurvedic medicated oil. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides ayurvedic medicines along with the panchakarma procedure for proper treatment of hyperthyroidism.
The various panchakarma procedure recommended for hyperthyroidism patient are:
- Nasya: In this procedure, medicated oil is administered in both nostrils. This procedure Detox your body and build natural immunity. It maintains the over-all functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Vishuddha Basti: In this procedure, a circular ring with dough is made on the thyroid region. After that lukewarm medicated oil is poured in it. This helps to nourish and stimulate the thyroid gland. Hyperthyroidism is treated with this process.
- Shirodhara: A stream of medicated oil is poured on the head to stimulate the functions of your brain. This procedure maintains and improves the functioning of the thyroid gland. It maintains the abnormal levels of the hormone.
- Pada Abhyang: In this procedure, your feet are massaged with medicated oil in semicircular movements. This will maintain the overall functions of the thyroid gland.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Hyperthyroidism Patients:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Include green vegetables and fresh fruits in your daily routine.
- Avoid processed and fast food as it is the most common reason for hyperthyroidism.
- Do perform yoga poses like sarvangasana, janu sirsasana, halasana, & suryanamaskar, etc.
- Along with yoga perform kapalbhati, bhastrika, ujjayi Pranayam, & nadi shodhan Pranayam that will regulate the proper functioning of thyroid glands.
- Avoid a high iodine diet as it increases the risk of hyperthyroidism.
- Include vegetables like cabbage, pointed gourd, spinach, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, broccoli, soybeans, turnips, green peas, mushrooms, coriander, ginger, etc in your diet.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Prepare green juices at home and drink this daily.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.