Everyone needs a body that is disease free and healthy. Not only major diseases affect our bodies. But sometimes the glands present in our body makes a misbalance. Thyroid gland an endocrine gland present in the neck that contains two lobes connected by an isthmus. This gland produces hormones known as thyroxine/T4, triiodothyronine/T3, & calcitonin. When the thyroid gland in our body produces an excess of thyroxine hormone it is known as Hyperthyroidism. This disease is considered as a metabolic disorder that causes irregular heartbeat and unintentional weight loss.
Hyperthyroidism is serious issue never ignore it as can lead to several other conditions. Women are more affected by this disease as compare to men.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?
The signs and symptoms related to Hyperthyroidism patient are mentioned below:
- Increased appetite
- Weight loss
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Trembling in your hands and fingers
- Muscle weakness
- Skin thinning
- Increased bowel movements sometimes diarrhea
- Brittle hair
- Joints pain
- Brittle bones
- Decreased concentration
- High blood pressure
- Acne on the face
- Mood swings
- Dryness of eyes
- Redness of eyes
- Weak memory
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Muscular cramps
What are the Causes of Hyperthyroidism?
There are different causes of Hyperthyroidism like thyroiditis, Plummer’s disease, & Grave’s disease. As the thyroid gland produces two main hormones thyroxine (T4) & triiodothyronine (T3) these two maintain the carbohydrates and fats, regulate the production of protein, controls body temperature, & the production of protein is regulated. The main reasons for too much production of thyroxine are Grave’s disease, stress, ovarian tumor, testis tumor, thyroid tumor, excess iodine intake, toxic multinodular goiter, & toxic adenoma, wrong eating habits ( intake of excessive processed and unhealthy food products), physical & emotional stress, etc.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Hyperthyroidism?
According to Ayurveda, this disease is due to imbalance in “Agni” metabolic fire. As per the symptoms, both pitta and vata doshas are involved. This imbalance in the doshas finally gives birth to hyperthyroidism. The impaired digestion causes blockage in the micro channels that create an imbalance in the thyroid gland functions.
There are numerous herbs in Ayurveda that treat hyperthyroidism from its root. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete and effective treatment for hyperthyroidism patients known as “Hyperthyroidism Care Kit”. This herbal kit consists of four products:
Description of all products in detail:
1. Thyroheal Tablets
The tablets are prepared from the extract of various herbs such as Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Kachnar (Bauhinia variegate), Shudh Guggul (Commiphora mukul), & Gandhir (Coelus forskohlii). These herbal tablets balance the hormones and maintain the proper function of thyroid glands.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Garlic Capsule
The standardized extract of herb Garlic (Allium sativum) is used for capsule formation. These herbal capsules maintain the irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, etc related to hyperthyroidism patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily with normal water.
3. Kachnaar Guggul
These classical herbal tablets are prepared from ingredients like Kachnar (Bauhinia variegate), Pippali (Piper longum), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Marich (Piper nigrum), etc that regulates the thyroid functioning. The regular use of these tablets maintains the thyroid hormones and treats hyperthyroidism easily.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
4. Trikatu Syrup
This is an ayurvedic preparation that contains herb like Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. The regular use of this syrup balances the thyroxine hormone and treats hyperthyroidism naturally.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Hyperthyroidism?
Panchakarma is the best way to Detox your body with the ayurvedic medicated oil. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides ayurvedic medicines along with the panchakarma procedure for proper treatment of hyperthyroidism.
The various panchakarma procedure recommended for hyperthyroidism patient are:
- Nasya: In this procedure, medicated oil is administered in both nostrils. This procedure Detox your body and build natural immunity. It maintains the over-all functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Vishuddha Basti: In this procedure, a circular ring with dough is made on the thyroid region. After that lukewarm medicated oil is poured in it. This helps to nourish and stimulate the thyroid gland. Hyperthyroidism is treated with this process.
- Shirodhara: A stream of medicated oil is poured on the head to stimulate the functions of your brain. This procedure maintains and improves the functioning of the thyroid gland. It maintains the abnormal levels of the hormone.
- Pada Abhyang: In this procedure, your feet are massaged with medicated oil in semicircular movements. This will maintain the overall functions of the thyroid gland.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Hyperthyroidism Patients:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Include green vegetables and fresh fruits in your daily routine.
- Avoid processed and fast food as it is the most common reason for hyperthyroidism.
- Do perform yoga poses like sarvangasana, janu sirsasana, halasana, & suryanamaskar, etc.
- Along with yoga perform kapalbhati, bhastrika, ujjayi Pranayam, & nadi shodhan Pranayam that will regulate the proper functioning of thyroid glands.
- Avoid a high iodine diet as it increases the risk of hyperthyroidism.
- Include vegetables like cabbage, pointed gourd, spinach, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, broccoli, soybeans, turnips, green peas, mushrooms, coriander, ginger, etc in your diet.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Prepare green juices at home and drink this daily.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.