Leucoderma is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system of the body attacks the healthy cells and starts affecting the body and start affecting the body. In this Disorder, there is loss of Melanin (pigmentation) which leads to whitening of the skin. The White patches on the skin are known as Leucoderma or Vitiligo. This condition is characterized by white patches on the skin that develops as a result of Melanocytes. There is loss of color of skin may affect the parts of the body, including the face, mouth, scalp, hair, eyes, and genitals. This may be more noticeable in patients with dark skin.
There are two types of Leucoderma/Vitiligo:-
- Segmental Leukoderma:- The symptoms of segmental leukoderma/Vitiligo affecting one side or segment of the body, start showing at an early stage. This type of disorder progresses for only a few years.
- Non-Segmental Leukoderma:- This type of Leucodermaaffects both sides of the body and it expands with new cycles of pigment loss throughout life. This starts with a short-lived burst of discoloration.
Other Causes of Leucoderma/Vitiligo:-
- Autoimmune condition:- This is a disorder of the immune system.
- Heredity Factors
- Family history.
- Excessive Worry or Stress.
- Severe Sunburn.
- Skin trauma is caused due to contact with chemicals.
- Chronic Gastric Problems
- Liver disorders like Jaundice
- Excessive consumption of infected foodstuffs
- Presence of parasites or worms in the digestive system
- Tattoos on the skin
- Allergic factors such as paints, deodorants, or adhesive.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS:-
- Loss of skin color (Patchy), This commonly appears first on the hands, face, and areas around the body openings like mouth and genitals.
- Premature graying or whitening of the hair on the scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, or beard
- Loss of color in the tissues that line the inside of the mucous membranes of the nose and mouth.
- Leucoderma may appear at any age, but usually appears before 30 years of age.
- Milky white patches, that gradually grow in size, that’s due to De-pigmentation of the skin.
- Alteration or loss of the color in the retina
- Mood Swings
TYPES OF LEUCODERMA/VITILGO:-
- Universal Vitiligo:- This occurs in Nearly all skin surfaces, This type of vitiligo is known as universal vitiligo, In this condition, the discoloration affects nearly all skin surfaces.
- Generalized Vitiligo:- This is the most common type of vitiligo, This is known as generalized vitiligo, In this condition, the discolored patches often progress similarly on corresponding over many parts of the body.
- Segmental Vitiligo:- It appears at a younger age, and it progresses for some years and then it may stop. It affects only one side or part of the body. This type of vitiligo is known as segmental vitiligo.
- Focal (localized) vitiligo:- This affects one or only a few areas of the body. This type is known as Focal (localized) vitiligo.
- Acrofacial vitiligo:- The face and hands are commonly affected. This type of vitiligo is known as acrofacial vitiligo, this affects the skin on the face and hands, and around body openings, such as the eyes, nose, and ears.
It’s difficult to predict how Leucoderma/Vitiligo Disorder will progress. The Pigment loss spreads and eventually involves most of the skin in most cases.
Patients with Leucoderma/vitiligo may be at increased risk of:-
- psychological Distress
- Social Distress
- Eye Problems
- Loss Of Hearing
ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA:-
The Leucoderma/Vitiligo may compare with the “SHVET KUSTHA”. This is caused due to the imbalance of the Doshas mainly “Pitta dosha” in the body. This aggravated Pitta Dosha causes poor digestion which leads to the accumulation of the ‘Ama’ (Toxins) in the deep tissues of the body, This condition leads to Leucoderma/Vitiligo. The Pitta Dosha is divided into five types; Bhrajak Pitta is one of them, This Pitta is responsible for discoloration of the skin, This is called Shvet kustha. In this case, there is an imbalance state thus the skin starts losing color and white patches are formed. In this condition, there is an imbalance of Rasa Dhatu, Rakta Dhatu, Mansa Dhatu, and Lasika Dhatu.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF LEUCODERMA/VITILIGO
“CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE” facilitates the best Herbal Medicines that is considered useful for the leucoderma/Vitiligo.In CAC the Ayurvedic Doctors provided the complete package of Herbal medicines known as ‘’LEUCODERMA CARE KIT’’, This Kit has proven good results in treating the Leucoderma. “Leucoderma Care Kit” helps in Cleansing the blood and improve the imbalanced body energies, and administrating herbs that help to restore the skin color. CAC has Natural Herbs that help to reduce the leucoderma.
The “leucoderma Care Kit” contains the following products:-
- Tolenorm Oil
- Tolenorm Ointment
- Detox premium powder
- Bakuchi vati
- Panchtiktak Ghrita guggulu
- Yakrit vati
LEUCODERMA CARE KIT
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAILS:-
Detox Premium Powder:-
This mixture contains all herbal medicines which help in the treatment of leucoderma. The Herbal mixture contains the following ingredients like:-Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Giloy satva, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor. This powder balance all the Tridosha in our body. It is useful in inflamed body parts and brings cooling effects to the body.
Dosage:- One Sachet twice a day with normal water.
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu:-
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is an Ayurvedic formulation that helps to balance The Vata Dosha, Pitta Dosha, and Kapha Dosha in our body. It is very beneficial in skin diseases, It also purifies the blood. It is prepared from ingredients like:- Patola (Trichosanthes dioica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica). It provides cooling effects and also reduces inflammationof the body. This Ayurvedic medicine is very useful for managing the skin problems like leucoderma, psoriasis, and eczema. It also helps to eliminate the toxins from the blood.
Dosage:- Two Tablets twice a day with normal water.
Babchi Oil (Psoralea corylifolia ):-
This oil is also known as “Kustanashini” (Vitiligo destroyer) according to Ayurveda, Babci Oil is the most trusted Ayurvedic herbs which are used for skin health and blood purification. Babchi Oil is also used as alternative Herbal Medicine in Pathies like Ayurveda, Siddha, and Homeopathy to treat the various types of skin disorders like leucoderma/Vitiligo, leprosy, lumbago, impotence, bones disorders, psoriasis, and intestinal worms. Babci oil helps to maintain genital health. It is very effective to treat skin infections and lower back pains. CAC Babchi oil is 100% natural Herbal oil, it’s pure of the highest quality. It is safe to use and certified organic oil. Babchi has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and analgesic properties. This is applied on the skin in leucoderma, this has no side effects. It helps to reduce the pigmentation, white spots on the skin, reduces Urticaria, Skin rashes, and redness.
Dosage:- Apply oil Twice a day on the affected area.
Babchi Tablet (Psoralea Corylifolia):-
This Tablet is an herbal formulation medicine which is used in fungal infection of the nail, provide natural color to skin, Psoriasis, Eczema, Leprosy, skin problems, deafness, bleedings from wounds, insomnia, Leucoderma, also purifies blood and helps to produce healthy melanin pigment (skin pigment that helps healthy skin color) in the body. Bakuchi helps in indigestion and acidity. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties. It reduces white spots on the skin and reduces skin rashes, pigmentation, redness, and Urticaria.
Dosage:- 1-2 tablets twice a day with normal water
Skin Care tablet:-
Skincare tablet is a Pure Ayurvedic formula of herbo mineral medicines. It helps to maintain the color and texture of the skin. It contains the following herbal medicines like Haridra Khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, and Ajmoda, These medicines work very effectively on all types of skin diseases. These tablets contain blood purifying agents. It helps to cool the blood and also detoxifies the blood. This tablet removes stagnant blood and removes obstructions in the blood flow that helps to increase the circulation of the blood in the skin. It reduces the blemishes, removes sun tan, heals the skin problems, and delay aging of the skin. It acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin, Removes blemishes, Reduce itching, Delay aging, and burning sensation of the skin, Prevents acne and pimples. It also helps In allergic skin diseases, and cure leucoderma or vitiligo.
DOSAGE:- 1-2 tablets twice a day
PANCHAKARMA TREATMENT OF LEUCODERMA/VITILIGO
CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE Treats Leucoderma in a natural way, by providing the best Panchakarma therapies. In the patient of Leucoderma Panchakarma Treatment plays a very important role. Panchakarma is helpful to maintain the proper blood circulation and helps in detoxifying the toxins. There are Three types of Panchakarma therapies to treat the Leucoderma. These include are:- Nasyam, Body lepam, and Shashtik shali pinda sweda.
- Nasyam:- This is the procedure in which the administration of medicated oil through the nasal cavity to clean the accumulated Kapha dosha’s toxins from the neck and head region.
- Body lepam:- In this procedure, a number of natural herbal medicines are crushed and converted into a paste-like mixture. This mixture applied over the affected areas of the body. This procedure is known as Lepam. Then the lepam will remove after some time. This Lepam gives good results to cure Vitiligo or leucoderma.
- Shashtik Shali Pinda Sweda:- In this procedure use hot milk mixed with shasti shali rice and herbs. In this, the massage is done with the help of a bolus (object filled with fluid). This provides strength to the body muscles.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.