The Liver is the heaviest internal organ in the human body. It is a reddish-brown organ that weighs about 1.5kg. This organ helps in detoxification, synthesizes proteins, & helps in emulsification of lipids. It is considered as a digestive gland that produces bile and helps in the breakdown of fats. There is different type of diseases associated with liver one among them is liver cirrhosis. Most of the people didn’t have exact knowledge of this disease.
In liver cirrhosis, the healthy cells of the liver are replaced with scar tissue that slows down the production of protein & other substances. This disease is progressive that develops slowly & at the end stop its proper functioning. The Advance stage of liver cirrhosis is a life-threatening condition. So always try to take proper treatment at a time.
What are the signs & symptoms of Liver Cirrhosis?
Most often there are no signs & symptoms seen in patient until the liver get fully damaged. The signs & symptoms that are seen are:
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Tenderness & pain near the liver
- Heartbeat accelerated
- Edema on ankles, feet, & legs
- Hair loss
- Muscular cramps
- Increased infection
- Nasal bleeding
- Pain in the right shoulder
- Dark urine
- Vomiting with blood
- Itching in skin
- Ascites (Accumulation of fluid in the abdomen)
- The blood vessels of your skin are easily prominent
- While walking patient feel a disturbance
- Stools appear pale in color
- Loss of sex drive
What are the causes of Liver Cirrhosis?
There are different causes for the occurrence of liver cirrhosis mentioned below:
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Viral hepatitis like (B, C & D)
- Excessive accumulation of fats named as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Wilson’s disease (accumulation of copper in the liver)
- Biliary atresia in which bile ducts are formed poorly
- Cystic fibrosis
- Autoimmune hepatitis that is caused due to the body’s immune system
- Scarring & hardening of bile duct known as primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Most of the infections like brucellosis or syphilis
- Certain medications like isoniazid or methotrexate
What is the ayurvedic view of liver cirrhosis?
According to Ayurved Yakrit is known as liver & the cirrhosis of liver is correlated with “kumbh kamla”. In this disease all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, & Kapha) are imbalanced. Pitta is the most aggravated dosha so pacifying & purification therapies are done.
What is the ayurvedic treatment of liver cirrhosis?
In Ayurved, there are different herbs that will treat the scar tissues & maintain healthy liver cells. The ayurvedic medicines for the liver will deal with the signs & symptoms of liver cirrhosis, balances dosha in the body, & increase the life-span of liver. Chandigarh Ayurved centre introduces a kit known as liver cirrhosis care kit that contains a combination of herbal medicines. This kit contains ayurvedic products that are mentioned below in detail:
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
- Premium Detox Powder: It is a herbo-mineral preparation introduced by Chandigarh Ayurved centre. The powder is made from ingredients like shukta pishti, gandhak rasayan, moti pishti, jahar mohra pishti, shankh bhasam, shwet parpati, Yavakshar, etc. These all in combination maintain proper functioning of liver cells, reduces the production of scar cells, deal with signs & symptoms related to liver cirrhosis.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Yakrit vati: As the name suggests Yakrit is known as liver hence these tablets are especially prepared for liver disorders. These tablets are prepared from ingredients such as Kalmegh, Bhumiamla, Bhringraj, Punarnava, Kasni, Himsra, Chitrak, etc. This vati maintains the overall functions of the liver. It maintains the signs & symptoms related to liver cirrhosis patients.
Recommended dosage: Take two tablets twice daily with normal water.
- Ricoliv Syrup: This is herbal syrup that is considered as a general tonic for your liver. It regenerates your liver cells naturally with the ingredients in it. Ricoliv syrup is prepared from herbs such as Kalmegh, Kutki, Punarnava, Kasni, etc. These all herbs in combination improve loss of appetite, reduces nausea, vomiting, dark urine, jaundice, etc problems.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
- Bhumiamla churna: This herbal churna contains the herbal & pure extract of herb Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri). The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, immuno-modulator, & hepatoprotective nature of this powder is beneficial in liver cirrhosis condition. All signs & symptoms related to liver cirrhosis patients are treated with the regular use of this churna.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.
- Kutaki capsule: These herbal capsules are prepared from pure extract of herb Kutaki (Picrorhiza kurroa). This is a wonderful herb for liver patients as it rejuvenates the liver cells. All signs & symptoms related to liver cirrhosis are treated with the use of these capsules.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily with normal water.
What is the panchakarma treatment for liver cirrhosis?
Panchakarma is a way that helps in the detoxification of the liver. It balances all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) in the body. As in liver cirrhosis basically the pitta dosha is imbalanced so firstly it is been balanced. Panchkarma treatment is not required in this disease only medicines are sufficient; the ayurvedic medicines mentioned above are beneficial for liver cirrhosis patients.
Healthy tips & diet for liver cirrhosis patients:
- Include in your diet green vegetables such as bottle gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, fenugreek, coriander, pumpkin, etc.
- Drink limited amount of water & can drink one green coconut water.
- Also include vegetables like carrot, turnip, beetroot, radish, etc.
- Eat fresh fruits like berries, apple, pear, peach, orange, papaya, guava, etc.
- Daily walk for 30 minutes to keep you fit.
- Avoid milk & dairy products.
- Totally avoid fried, fast, & processed food items.
- Do perform yoga poses & pranayam such as kapalbhati pranayam, dhanurasana, ardh mastsyendrasana, naukasana, Gomukhasana, etc.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh