These are disorders and injuries which affect the musculoskeletal system and hampers the human body movements. Musculoskeletal disorders includes muscles, nerves , tendons, blood vessels, ligaments and discs among others.
MSDs are among one of the common problems in today’s hectic world. Severity can vary , in some cases disorder cause discomfort and pain interfering in day to day life of individual. With increasing age the risk of developing MSDs also increase. Early diagnosis and proper management may be beneficial to ease symptoms and improve long-term aspect.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON TYPES OF MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDER ?
Some common types includes :
- Tendinitis :
- Tendons are thick cords that happens to join muscles to the bones .
- Irritation or Inflammation of tendons is termed as Tendinitis.
- Tendinitis cause tenderness and acute pain making movement of affected joint difficult.
- It can develop in any tendons but usually develops in tendons of knee, shoulder, elbow , wrist or heels
- Carpal tunnel syndrome :
- This syndrome happens due to pressure put on median nerve by swelling in the wrist.
- Median nerve is located on the palm side of both hands and provide sensation to index finger, long finger, thumb and part of ring finger. It also supplies impulse to muscle going to thumb.
- This syndrome can develop in both hands
- This caused weakness, tingling and numbness on the side of hand near thumb.
- Osteoarthritis :
- It is chronic common joint condition also called as wear and tear arthritis , degenerative joint disease and degenerative arthritis
- In Osteoarthritis the cartilage breaks down causing bones within joint to rub together which causes symptoms like stiffness, pain and tenderness
- It can develop in any joint in body but usually effect joints of fingers, shoulder, hips, knees etc.
- Rheumatoid arthritis :
- It is an auto immune disorder which usually affect same joints on both sides of body like if joint of one arm is affected then same joint of other arm is also affected
- It causes pain, damage and inflammation of joints
- It commonly affects joints of knees, wrist and hands but may also effect organs and tissues throughout the body including hearts, eyes and lungs
- Epicondylitis :
- Overuse injury which occurs when tendons become overloaded which leads to degeneration, inflammation and potential tearing .
- It most commonly affects elbow laterally or medially.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS ?
Some common factor that may contributes in development of MSDs are :
- Age : The risk of developing musculoskeletal disorders gradually increase with old age
- Life style : Individual living sedentary life style or having habit of smoking or drinking is at great risk of developing musculoskeletal disorders.
- Occupation : Working long hours, maintaining poor posture , vibration, poor lighting or cold working environment etc can increase the risk of development of MSDs
- Family history :Having history of MSDs in family may increase the risk of developing MSDs.
- Activity level : Certain activities like sitting in same position for long hours, engaging in repetitive motions, lifting heavy weight etc contributes in development of MSDs
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS ?
Some of the common symptoms of MSDs includes :
- Burning sensations in muscles
- Aching and stiffness
- Pain worsens with movements
- Disturbed sleep
- Muscle twitching
- Limited range of motion of affected joints
- Some time redness of overlying skin
- Bruising and discoloration
AYURVEDIC APPROACH :
In ayurveda main causative factor for musculoskeletal disorder is aggravated Vata dosha. Nedan sevan like vata vitiating foods, excessive physical work, intake of unwholesome food, sedentary life style etc leads to aggravation of the Vata dosha. The aggravated vata obstruces all the empty channels of body leading to the development of the disorder in a portion of body or entire body.
- Patra potli pind swedan
- Greeva vasti
- Janu vasti
CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE MEDICATION FOR THE TREATMENT OF MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS :
1. Pain O kill tablet
Pain o kill tablet is ayurvedic and purely herbal formulation. It help to relax your muscles and muscles cramps thus relieving pain. It balances all the three doshas of your body thus maintaining proper blood circulation. It provides soothing effect to the affected area of pain. It contains various herbs like Jivanti, Musta, Usher, Bilwa, Shatavri and Kantakari. All these herbs are natural pain relievers.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Vata balance tablet
Vata balance tablet is a rejuvenating blend of herbs is specially formulated to balance Vata doshas without aggravating Pitta or Kapha doshas. It may be used to support overall health and well-being by Vata constitutions with or without food. For those with a dual constitution that includes Vata or a tridoshic constitution. Vata is characterized by the properties of dry, cold, light, minute, and movement. All movement in the body is due to the properties of Vata. Pain is the characteristic feature of deranged Vata. Some of the diseases connected to unbalanced Vata are flatulence, gout, rheumatism, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily after meals.
3. Panchsakar Churna
It is a pure and classical preparation known as Panchsakar churna. This churna is used since ancient time for the detoxification of the body. The churna contain five ingredients as the name suggests Haritaki, Shunthi, Krishna Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. As toxins are removed from the body knee pain will automatically subsides.
Recommended Dosage: Take one teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
4. Rasayan vati
Rasayan vati are 100% natural and safe containing herbo-mineral extracts. These ingredients show antioxidant, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immuno-modulator properties.These tablets give good results in General debility, Sexual disorders, and Improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily after meals.
5. Pain o kill oil
Pain o kill oil is ayurvedic and purely herbal formulation. It help to relax your musclesand muscles cramps thus relieving pain. It balances all the three doshas of your body thus maintaining proper blood It provides soothing effect to the affected area of pain. It contains various herbs like Jivanti, Musta, Usher, Bilwa, Shatavri and Kantakari. All these herbs are natural pain relievers.
Recommended Dosage: Apply to the affected area twice daily.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.