Osteoporosis is a condition wherein the bones become frail. Rather than the solid tissue that help the body structure, bones become fragile from inside and are equipped for breaking with a minor jerk or fall. This prompts cracks in the hands, hips and legs with minor falls or wounds.
In Ayurveda, osteoporosis is relatable to the depiction of Asthikshaya (degeneration of the bones). The justification asthi kshaya is expansion in the vata dosha. Vata dosha’s seat in the body is viewed as asthi dhatu (bone tissue) and any expansion in the vata will prompt abatement of the bone tissue (Asthi dhatu).
Causes of Osteoporosis
- Overactive thyroid gland
- Problems of the adrenal organs, like Cushing’s condition
- Decreased measures of sex chemicals (estrogen and testosterone)
- Issues of the pituitary organ
- Overactivity of the parathyroid organs
Different variables thought to build the danger of osteoporosis and broken bones include:
- A family background of osteoporosis
- A parental history of hip crack
- A weight record (BMI) of 19 or less
- Long haul utilization of high-portion steroid tablets (these are generally utilized for medical issue like joint inflammation and asthma)
- Having a dietary issue, like anorexia or bulimia
- Substantial drinking and smoking
- Rheumatoid joint inflammation
- Malabsorption issues, as in coeliac sickness and Crohn’s illness
- A few medications used to treat bosom malignancy and prostate disease that influence chemical levels
- Significant stretches of idleness, for example, long haul bed rest
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
- Deficiency of tallness (getting more limited by an inch or more).
- Change in pose (stooping or twisting forward).
- Windedness (more modest lung limit because of packed plates).
- Bone cracks.
- Agony in the lower back.
OSTEOPOROSIS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
Since osteoporosis is a troublesome condition to invert, there are various treatment choices accessible to deal with its manifestations and improve your personal satisfaction. These include:
- Diet treatment – Calcium rich sustenance ought to be guaranteed. Alongside it, diet plentiful in nutrient D just as Vitamin D enhancements are suggested
- Hormone replacement treatment – For forestalling and treating osteoporosis in ladies, either estrogen alone or a mix of estrogen and progestin are utilized
- Medications – These incorporate estrogen supplements, meds that prevent cells from separating bone, prescriptions to improve bone strength and diminish breaks, chemicals to stop bone misfortune, and so on
- Ayurveda suggests all encompassing treatment for osteoporosis which includes keeping away from factors that lead to the vitiation of vata dosha that at last lead to deteriorating of the condition. These include:
- Shodhana treatment – Shodhana is a filtration treatment. The irritated Doshas from the body are ousted out in this system, accordingly dispensing with the interior causative variables of the illness. Metabolic cycle causes age of enormous amounts of harmful side-effects in the body. Poisons saved in different tissues vitiate Dosha, Dhatu and so forth and accordingly causes illnesses. Shodhana treatment eliminates poisons from body and reestablishes the harmony of Dosha. Shodhana treatment comprises of a three-stage refinement measure as follows:2,5
- Purva Karma – preliminary filtration preceding the primary purging
- Pradhana Karma – the principle five sanitization strategies (known as Panchakarma treatment)
- Paschath Karma – post restoration treatment
- Shamana treatment – it’s anything but a palliative treatment to standardize the doshas instead of removing them from the body. Shamana can be outer treatment (Bahya samshamana) like utilization of natural glues, showering with therapeutic fluids, tub shower in restorative fluids, home grown oil rub, oil pooling over the head, oral washing, swishing, oil pulling and so on It can likewise be gentle interior treatment (Aabhyantara samshamana) like meds that digest poisons, fat scratching methodology, aphrodisiacs, immunizing agents poisons to invalidate harms, invulnerable adjustment, mass advancing medicines, and so on
Furthermore, Ayurveda likewise suggests a blend of sound eating routine (ahar) and way of life changes (vihar) to oversee osteoporosis adequately. These include:
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- Devour good food sources including nuts, dairy and so on in diet
- Langhanam (eating fewer carbs) to diminish weight helps in decreasing the weight on joints
- Stay away from carbonated beverages, bundled food sources and low quality nourishment
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Follow an efficient every day lifestyle (Dincharya)
- Stay away from exercises that cause both mental and actual pressure
- Stay away from extreme exercise and proactive tasks
- Try not to stifle your desires (vegavidharan) to pee, poo, and so on
- Enjoy light activities like strolling and swimming
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.