Padabhyang is a foot massage, an ancient medical treatment to massage your vital points on the feet to boost your health.
The foot is one of the important parts of your body. In an Ayurvedic tradition, ‘Paad’ is given special importance. According to ancient belief, the body and soul are embodied in the feet, making this organ an important part of the body. Ayurvedic foot massage Padabhyang is an excellent mode to provide necessary care to your feet. Massaging the feet with Ayurvedic oil relieves nervous tension, which ultimately improves your overall health.
Importance of foot massage
Ayurveda is considered as an important motor organ of the feet, as most of the contact mechanisms of the limbs terminate in the legs. They make this organ important. Massaging the feet means massaging the nerves, which strengthen the nerves as well as promote overall health and well-being of other body parts.
You can massage Padabhyang at night before going to bed. Doing this daily provides many health benefits. In Ayurveda, ‘Padabhyang’ is called the mother of all alternative remedies, as it has the power to cure dosha-imbalances.
Benefits of Pedabhyung
It activates your immune system to keep you away from autoimmune diseases.
- Reduces mental stress and anxiety.
- Turbulent provides peace of mind.
- Promotes sound sleep.
- Increases blood circulation.
- Increases eye light.
- Avoidance of cracked heels.
- Improvement in the health of the feet.
- Treats foot pain.
- Protect skin from getting dry. Dryness
- Helpful in balancing ‘vata dosha’
How to do Padabhayang?
Step 1- Choose oil option
This treatment is done with Ayurvedic oil ‘Tailam’, which is either medicinal oil or medicinal ghee or sometimes a combination of both.
Sometimes ‘Kshiradhara’ is also used, which is made after combining milk, laksha churna and Dasamula Kashayam.
Step 2- Apply oil
Before applying the medicinal oil, it is heated slightly to make it lukewarm.
The oil or ghee is then applied to the soles, heel, feet, ankle joints and entire feet.
Step 3- Massage
After applying the oil, the main process begins. Oil massage is done at a rapid pace with light hands on the skin.
Massage applies little pressure to that area to activate a person’s nerves and energy points.
This process releases negative energy and toxins from the body for positive effects.
Some important things
- Padabhyang or foot massage can be done at any time, but the best time is before sleeping. This is because then you can relax and at this point the important points become active. Padabhyang or foot massage is a part of whole body massage.
- However, there are some conditions that should not be done in pedagogy. Here are some health conditions in which you should avoid – cold, fever, blood infection, indigestion, stomach disease, skin problems, circulatory disorders etc.
- Practicing foot massage can help you stay healthy by eliminating body rejuvenation and overall health problems.
Diseases and conditions treated with padabang therapy
This specific therapy offers many health benefits.
- Relieves stiffness in our feet
- Gives Strength and stability to foot and limbs
- Improve our auditory and visiual senses
- Prevents diseases of the feet and eases contraction of muscles, tendons and vessels of the feet
- Prevents cracks and dryness in the heels
- Padabang reduces stress, anxiety and calms our mind and body
- Relaxes and revitalizes our central nervous system
- Removes fatigue from our lower limbs and improves our sleep quality
- Activates metabolism, cures headaches and slows down degenerative changes in our body
- Helps to calm and maintain Vata Dosha, which, when excess in our system, is considered the root cause of most of our illnesses
- Provides complete immunity to our body and improve strength
Conditions treated holistically with pababang therapy include:
- Hemiplegia and paraplegia
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Shaking the feet and legs
For whom is padabhyang therapy intended?
Padabanga is an extremely soothing and enjoyable massage for people of all ages. It is recommended to do every day before bedtime.
If you experience extreme fatigue, insomnia, or cramping, a simple foot massage for 15 minutes can greatly help you to alleviate your physical and mental fatigue. Reflexology of the feet has an extremely positive effect on the mind and body.
Regular use of padabang massage promotes healthy growth in children, allows adults to conserve energy and strength and helps prevent the onset of degenerative problems in the elderly or in the stressful professions.
In short, if you want to rejuvenate and enhance your health, padabang massage is the recommended therapy for you, but make sure you get it from an experienced practitioner. In other words, do not leave your health in the hands of people who do not know what they are doing.
Side effects of padabang
So far, no side effects of padabang therapeutic massage have been observed or reported, as is usually the case with conventional medicine therapies.
Do not forget that:
- Padabanga is also part of Sarva-Abhyanga (full body oil massage).
- Foot massage can be done at any time of day and also every day without a problem, which is even preferable.
- Most effective when done in the late evening or at bedtime
- However, massage should not be done when you have a fever or a cold.
‘Pada’ in Sanskrit means ‘foot’ and ‘abhyanga’ means ‘massage with the use of oils’. Together, these two words mean a foot massage. Padabanga is an ayurvedic therapy that looks at the feet as the focal point of all the energies that connect our body to the earth. Just the way the roots of a tree connect the stem, branches and leaves to the mother earth. Nourishing the root gives good fruit, Similarly nourished through padabang massage provides a wonderful state of mind and body.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.