Pomegranate is known as Anar in Hindi and Pomegranate is a treasure of nutrients, known as “Dadima” in Ayurveda that has been used for its numerous health benefits for centuries. Pomegranate considered a “blood purifier”. Pomegranate has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory property it is a commercial crop of India. It is a rich source of carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and vitamin C. Pomegranate is eaten as fresh fruit also its juice is cool and refreshing. Each and every part of pomegranate has some medicinal value AND use. Its root and peel used to cure diarrhea, dysentery, and worm killing in the intestines. Its petals are used for preparing dyes. Maharashtra is a major producer of Pomegranate. Rajasthan, Karnataka, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana are also cultivating pomegranate on small scale. It can be grown on a variety of soils for optimum growth and yield.
SCIENTIFIC NAME – Punica granatum
FAMILY – punicaceae
SYNONYMS OF POMEGRANATE –
- Dadam phala
- Dalimbe haonu,
- Madulam Pazham,
SOURCE OF POMEGRANATE – PLANT BASED
BENEFITS OF POMEGRANATE
- Digestion – Pomegranate juice, when taken on a regular basis, is helpful in relieving digestive problems like diarrhea.
- Heart – It is also beneficial for managing heart problems and high cholesterol as it helps keep the arteries unclogged due to its antioxidant property.
- Coronary obstructive pulmonary disease – Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a chronic lung disease that causes difficulty in breathing. According to Ayurveda, COPD is due to an imbalance of the three doshas (Kapha, Vata & Pitta). Regular consumption of Pomegranate helps to reduce symptoms of COPD and balance all the dosha and provide strength to lungs.
- Atherosclerosis – In atherosclerosis there is plaque accumulates inside the arteries, causing them to harden and narrow. According to Ayurveda, there is an accumulation of Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) that affects the circulation of blood. This is because Ama is sticky in nature. It clogs the arteries and leading to the hardening of the arterial walls. Using Pomegranate juice or powder helps to reduce Ama due to its pomegranate Deepan (appetizer) Pachan (digestive) properties.
- Coronary artery disease – High cholesterol accumulation due to an imbalance of Pachak Agni (digestive fire). Impaired digestion produces excess waste products or Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion). This causes the accumulation of bad cholesterol and blockage in the blood vessels or arteries. Pomegranate helps to control high cholesterol because of its property of balancing Agni. It reduces Ama and prevents the build-up of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Diarrhea – Diarrhea known as Atisar in Ayurveda, improper food, impure water, toxins, stress, and Agnimandya (weak digestive fire) all are responsible for aggravating Vata dosha. Intake of Pomegranate helps to control diarrhea because it has Kashaya (astringent) property that retains fluid in the intestine and reduces the frequency of motion.
- Erectile dysfunction – Erectile dysfunction is a sexual problem in males in which erection cannot be maintained for sexual intercourse. In Ayurveda, this condition is known as Klaibya. Generally, the aggravation of Vata dosha is responsible for erectile dysfunction. Pomegranate helps to manage erectile dysfunction and improve sexual performance. This is because of the pomegranate Vajikarana (aphrodisiac) property.
- Fungal infection of a vagina – Pomegranate help to manage vaginal infections. This is due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties. It inhibits the growth of microorganisms such as T. vaginalis that cause vaginal infections.
- Muscle building – Pomegranate might help manage muscle soreness after exercise. Pomegranate contains phytochemicals that have an enhancement performance effect. Pomegranate enhances physical performance and boosts strength.
- Obesity – An increase in weight is due to unhealthy food habits and lifestyle which leads to a weak digestive fire (Agni). This increases the accumulation of Ama causing an imbalance of meda dhatu and resulting in obesity. Pomegranate juice is useful to control obesity as it helps improve metabolism and reduce Ama. This is due to pomegranate Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. It balances Meda dhatu and thus reduces obesity.
- Piles – Hemorrhoids are known as Arsh in Ayurveda which is caused by an unhealthy diet and a sedentary lifestyle. This leads to the impairment of all the three doshas (VATA, PITTA, and KAPHA) and mainly Vata dosha. An aggravated Vata dosha causes a low digestive fire, leading to persistent constipation in people. This causes swelling in the veins of the rectum area and leads to hemorrhoids. Regular intake of Pomegranate is useful to manage hemorrhoids. This is because it helps promote Agni (digestive fire) which corrects constipation and reduces the inflammation in hemorrhoids.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – Rheumatoid Arthritis is known as Aamavata in Ayurveda. Amavata is a disease in which aggravation of Vata dosha and accumulation of Ama takes place in the joints. This is due to agnimandheya (weak digestive fire). This Ama is carried to different locations through Vata but instead of being absorbed, it gets accumulated in the joints. Taking Pomegranate on a regular basis helps to control symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. It reduces Ama due to its Deepan and Pachan properties and gives relief from the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.