ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA CAUSES OF PREMATURE GREYING –
- As per traditional Ayurveda, vata,pitta, kapha are the main three types of dosha, these three doshas regulates your body activity.
- Whose balance is called as the innate ‘Prakriti’ of that individual. Any imbalance occurring in these three dosha levels results in diseases.
- In ayurveda, premature graying of hair known as ‘Akala Palitya’.
- Akala Palitya is the result of vitiated Pitta dosha or Pitta-kapha doshas.
- Palitya roga is categorized under Kshudra Rogas.
- The Bhrajaka pitta is a sub-type of Pitta, which is responsible for the natural color and complexion of your hair and skin.
- In modern point of view Bhrajaka pitta is attributed to melanocytes that produce melanin pigment, melanin is responsible for the natural color and complexion of your hair.
- Imbalance in Bhrajaka Pitta reduces melanin production, which in turn results in premature graying hair.
FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR PREMATURE GREYING-
- According to Ayurveda a balanced diet is key to healthy hair. making your meals a proper balance of all the six tastes.
- Foods such as mustard, linseed, fish, mutton, lamb and curds are rich in nutrients. But excess use can cause vitiation of Pitta.
- ln adequate amounts of iron, calcium, vitamins B12 and D3 in your diet can cause graying hair.
Environmental and Behavior (Viharaja)
- Excessive physical exercise (Ativyayama)
- Overexposure to the sun (Atiatapasevan)
- Awakening during at Pitta parkopa Kala (Raatrijagarana)
- Intake of polluted air (Dushitvayusevan)
- Fasting (Upavasa)
Conditions like uncontrollable anger, stress, etc. can easily provoke Pitta dosha to aggravate, resulting in premature greying.
- Condolence (shoka)
- furor (Krodha)
- Mental stress (maansika shrama)
- fear (bhaya)
Basic Prakriti (Genetics)-
- Having a predominantly Pitta prakriti can itself lead to pitta aggravation.
- If you are Pitta dominant in nature, you should avoid the foods and lifestyle habits that aggravate Pitta dosha.
- Major hormonal changes in females during pregnancy and after menopause can cause graying hair.
- According to ayurveda imbalance of the three doshas cause disturbed thyroid glands, which may result in conditions such as Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism.
- Imbalanced thyroid hormone reduces melanin production in the body and thus, turns your hair grey.
Chemical hair dyes and hair products like shampoos, conditioner, hair spray can cause premature graying of hair as they contain harmful chemical ingredients like hydrogen peroxide that decrease melanin.
Eating pitta aggravating food
- Ayurveda tell us Pitta dosha is aggravated by eating Amal (sour), Lavana (salty) and Teekshna (spicy) food items.
- If you are experiencing premature greying we recommend cutting down on tamarind, tomatoes, curd, packaged foods, red and green chillies and vinegar.
Excessive smoking can cause premature greying of hair.
In some medical conditions like Albinism, Pernicious anemia, and other autoimmune disorders like Alopecia areata and Vitiligo, the body undergoes melanin deficiency and thus, the hair grows white.
PANCHKARMA FOR GRAYING HAIR–
It is an extravagant recommended Ayurvedic remedy for grey hair. Panchkarma procedure expelled out toxins from the body and balances the three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha).
Most effective panchakarma therapies for graying hair are as follows-
- Nasya Karma (nasal medication)
- Shiro dhara (pouring oil on head)
- Shiro pichu (cloth dipped in oil kept on head)
- Shiro basti (oil is kept on head with an apparatus)
- Shiro lepa (application of medicated paste over the head)
- Shiro abhyanga (oil massage to head)
- Takradhara (pouring buttermilk over forehead)
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Apanasana (Knees To Chest Pose)
- Balayam (Rubbing Nails)
- Bhramari Pranayama ‘Shanmukhi Mudra
SOME AYURVEDIC FORMULATION FOR GREYING HAIR-
Ayurvedic powerful formulations for oral medication to reduce premature greying of hair as follows:
- Amalaki Rasayana
- Lauha Rasayana
- Mahabhringaraj Taila
- Prawal Panchamrit
- Saptamrit Lauh
- Tapyadi Lauh
AYURVEDIC HAIR OILS-
- Bringamalakadi Taila
- Brahmi Bringaraj Taila
- Sahadevi Hair Oil
- Dasapushpam Oil
- Amla Oil (Indian Gooseberry)
STOP DAMAGING YOUR HAIR-
Some hair care applications that can damage your hair include-
- Using a brush instead of a wide-toothed comb, especially with wet hair
- Stop Applying a curling iron, straightener or hair dryer etc.
- Stop Using harsh shampoos or soaps.
- Avoid washing too frequently
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR GREY HAIR-
- Take 1 teaspoonfuls of bhringraj powder (Eclipta alba) and 2 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil mix In a small pan over low heat.
- Gently massage the warm mixture into your scalp and hair, leaving it in place for 1 hour and Wash with a mild shampoo.
- Take 1 tablespoonfuls of black pepper (Piper nigrum) and 1 teaspoonfuls of fresh lemon juice mix them into ½ cup of yogurt.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp and hair. Wash it out after one hour.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times per week.
- Mix enough black tea or coffee into one cup of henna (Lawsonia inermis) powder to make a paste. Cover the bowl and leave it for 6 to 7 hours.
- After 6 to 7 hours mix 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and then apply the mixture to your scalp and hair. Rinse it off after 2 hours.
Black sesame seed-
- Mix five tablespoonfuls of black sesame seed oil with 3 tsp of carrot seed oil.
- Massage gently into scalp for 20 minutes and leaving it in place for overnight then rinsing it out.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.