Dark circles under the eyes are most commonly caused by fatigue, but there are other causes too.
- Allergic rhinitis(hay fever)
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Contact dermatitis
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Scratching or rubbing eyes constantly
- Prolonged exposure to sun
Another most important cause of dark circles is the natural aging process. When we age, we tend to lose fat and collagen, and the skin often thins. This makes the reddish-blue blood vessels under your eyes more prominent.
Also, as we grow old, we commonly develop puffy eyelids or hollows under the eyes. These changes sometimes cast shadows that can appear as dark circles under the eyes.
COLD TEA BAGS
This is one of the most effective and highly easy ways to combat these dark circles and puffy eyes. Use green tea or chamomile tea bags preferably, for quick results.
How to Use Tea Bags?
Soak the bags in water and make them chill in the refrigerator. After some time take them out from the fridge and gently place the bags on both of your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes.
Repeat regularly for good results.
GRATED POTATO OR GRATED CUCUMBER
This is one of the most effective remedies by far. They also help in reducing the puffiness around the eye area.
How to use?
- Grate some raw potatoes or some raw cucumber and place the paste on your eyes.
- Keep them on eyes for 10-15 minutes. Relax and listen to your favourite music or you can meditate to it too.
- You can also extract the juice of potatoes or cucumbers and apply it on the eyes.
- Take a cotton ball, soak it in the juice, and place it over your eyes.
- Make sure the entire area around the dark circles or area of puffed eyes is covered.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and wash off with cold water.
- In case you have a tight schedule or don’t have time for grating, you can also directly place slices of cucumber or potato on your eyes.
Cold milk helps in soothing the sensitive skin around the eyes, it’s a natural cleanser.
How to Use Milk?
- Dip a cotton ball in cold milk and apply it on the eyes and puffed area.
- Keep the cotton there for a while and later rinse the eyes with cold water.
- Repeat at least thrice a week for good results.
ELEVATING THE HEAD
- The posture we sleep in or the way we sleep also affects the surrounding areas of our eyes.
- A few pillows under the head can make it raised and prevent fluid from pooling under the eyes, prevent them from looking puffy and swollen.
Aloe Vera is an effective moisturizer and keeps the skin brighter and soft.
How to Use Aloe Vera?
Gently apply Aloe Vera gel under the eyes and massage for 5-7 minutes, before hitting the sack.
Don’t rinse, keep it till morning. But if you feel sticky and uncomfortable then you can wash it off. Otherwise it’s better to keep it on.
ALMONDS AND LEMON JUICE
This is yet another tried and tested remedy to treat dark circles. You need to to mix almond oil and lemon juice for it.
How to Use Almond Oil & Lemon Juice?
Take about a teaspoon of almond oil and add a few drops of lemon juice, mix them well and gently apply the mixture around the eye area. Massage it around the eye and let it rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse it off post that.
This one can definitely be called as grand mom’s secret remedy. Rosewater is refreshing, rejuvenating and it can practically be used on almost every skin type and for all skin-related troubles. It’s also mild astringent and if used as a skin toner, works effectively.
How to Use Aloe Rosewater?
- Soak cotton eye pads in rose water and place them over the eyelids.
- Leave the pads on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat every night for at least a month to see the best results.
Tomatoes are natural bleaching agents. They also are rich in antioxidants, which helps us to bring down the discoloration around the eye area. It makes the skin beautiful and brighter.
How to Use Tomatoes?
- Mix a teaspoon of tomato juice with a teaspoon of lemon juice
- Apply it under both the eye areas.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- With it you can also consume tomato juice mixed with some lemon juice and mint leaves to get rid of dark circles and under eye bags.
Make sure you take a 6-8hours of sound and undisturbed sleep.
Less sleep makes your eyes puffy and also gives you dark circles.
Try drinking turmeric milk before bed and having a quality bath. If you can’t bath just wash your feet and massage them with any edible oil before you go to bed.
YOGA AND MEDITATION
One of the underlying causes for dark circles is stress, anxiety, depression, and an erratic lifestyle.
Therefore, one of the most amazing ways to deal with dark circles is to stay calm and composed.
But as we all know stress is an integral part of our lives, this is not always possible to stay calm. So, making Yoga and Meditation an everyday ritual will help you ALOT in this condition.
Yoga not only calms down the mind but also helps to regulate the body clock, and most importantly, it addresses most body problems from the core.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.