INTRODUCTION TO SWEDANA-
WHAT IS SWEDAN?
- Swedana is an Ayurvedic treatment which means to “perspire”. It is also known as “Steam therapy”.
- The word Sweda is derived from Sanskrit word- swid, meaning ‘to sweat or to perspire’.
- It is a body heating procedure which opens up the pores of the body and eliminates the toxins from the body.
- Snehan and swedana are the pre-procedures of Panchakarma.
WHAT IS PPS?
- “Patra” means “leaves”; “Pind” means “Bolus”; and “Sweda” means “Sweat” or it is a sweat inducing Therapy.
- Patra Pinda Pottali Sweda or PPS is a type of Shankar Sweda or Pinda Sweda in which fresh leaves of medicinal plants are collected and cutted into pieces on addition with other drugs they are roasted in a pan with the help of oil and a bolus is prepared from it.
- After that it is tied in a piece of cloth and a medicated pottali is prepared.
In this type of Sweda the following leaves are used-
- Eranda leaves(Ricinus cumunis)
- Chincha Leaves(Tamarind)
- Rasna(Pluchea lanceolata)
- Arka (Calatropis gigantea)
- Nirgundi (Vitex nigundu)
- Shigru ( Moringa oleifera)
Other ingredients – Lemon, Coconut grating, Saindhava Lavana, Methi dana powder, Rasnadi churna etc.
The property of the leaves is ushna virya (or hot in potency) and along with lemon which is having amla, ushna(hot) properties which helps in reducing the pain, inflammation and stiffness associated with the joint.
- Other ingredients – lemon, coconut grating, Saindhava Lavana, Methi dana powder, Rasnadi churna etc.
It pacifies the imbalanced doshas i.e. Vata and kapha which are the main cause of the Joint disorders.
- Sandhi gata vata or Osteoarthritis
- Aamavata or Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Chronic back pain
- Mamsagata Vata or Musculoskeletal disorder
- Cervical Spondylitis
- Lumbar spondylitis
- Anti- Ageing
- Gridhrasi or Sciatica
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Swelling and Stiffness of the joints
- Body ache
- Frozen shoulder
DURATION- 7 to 21 Days depending upon the severity of the disease.
Poorva karma (Pre-treatment procedures)
In this preparation of the required items is done or It includes the Preparation of the patient for the main procedure-
- Firstly the pottali’s are prepared with the above mentioned fresh leaves.
- Medicated Oil is suggested as per the disease by the MD Panchakarma expert doctor.
- Proper sanitization of the room and bed is done.
Procedure or Pradhana karma-
- Maintain the heating apparatus at a constant temperature.
- The herbal pottali is frequently dipped in the warm oil while rubbing the body with mild pressure.
- The Swedana or fomentation given in Patra Pinda Sweda therapy is carried out in 7 postures like that of Abhyanga or body massage so as to provide proper fomentation to all the parts of the body.
- A uniform temperature of the Potalli is maintained throughout the procedure by dipping it in the heated mixture of medicated decoction or oil.
- After the Potalli massage there is induction of the sweat and the process is completed.
- They are advised to take rest for an hour and after that bath with warm water.
- After the procedure intake of Light diet is advised.
HOW IT IS USEFUL IN JOINT DISORDERS?
- It provides amazing effects to in management of joint disorders.
- It helps in increasing the blood circulation to the affected area, pacifies the Doshas and provide strengthen to the muscles in the area.
- It reduces the stiffness of the joints and swelling associated with the joints.
- It helps in release of harmful toxins out of the body and thus reduces inflammation.
- It also helps to tone muscles and improve the working of tissues within the body.
- It also enhances the Glow and tone of the body.
BENEFITS of PPS-
- Prevents and delays the degeneration of joints and muscle disorders
- It helps in Elimination of the toxins from the body
- It induces good sleep and relieves stress
- It improves Range of motion (ROM) of the joints.
- Improves the glow and complexion of the skin
- It helps in strengthening the muscles, bones, nerves, and tissues
- Improves the circulation of the blood.
- Helps in reducing the pain, stiffness, and inflammation. It pacifies the vata dosha.
- It is beneficial in neuralgic pain as it soothes the nerves in case of nerve disorders
- It provides good effects in case of Paralysis patients as it improves the sensory and motor functions.
The Patra Pinda pottali sweda should be avoided in case of-
- Skin Allergies
- Sensitive skin
- Acute inflammation
- Pregnant women
- Cardiac problems
- Hemorrhagic disorders
- Acute illness
- Extreme fatigue
NOTE- This Therapy should be done after consultation with a skilled Ayurveda Physician.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.