Sjogren’s syndrome is defined as an autoimmune disease that attacks and destroys glands responsible for keeping the eyes, mouth and other parts of the body moist and lubricated.
The prevalence of Sjogren’s syndrome in the global population is unknown, German researchers have estimated that it occurs in about 0.2 percent of the adult population. The study found that women are about 20 times more likely than men to be affected by the condition.
What are the Causes of Sjogren’s Syndrome?
In Sjogren’s syndrome, generally, the body’s immune system produces inflammation that damages the tissues and nerve signals to certain glands in the body.
The inflammation mainly attacks glands that produce fluids, such as the lacrimal glands behind the eyelids, and the salivary glands in the mouth. This reduces the amount of saliva, tears and other fluids the glands produce.
What are the Symptoms of Sjogren’s Syndrome?
The classic and main symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome are dry eyes, dry mouth, fatigue, and joint pain.
Other symptoms include:
- Contact lens discomfort
- Dry sinuses or nosebleeds
- Sore mouth, tongue or throat
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Dry or peeling lips
- Dry and sore skin
- Muscle pain without accompanying swelling
- Vaginal dryness
Additional eye symptoms that can occur with Sjogren’s syndrome include blurred vision, gritty or burning sensation.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Sjogren’s Syndrome?
Dry eye is generally compared with shushkakshipaka. In Ayurvedic content, it is described under the sarvakshi gata roga vignaneeya (which involves more than one structure of an eye during the pathological process) is not the suitable choice for diagnosis when the eye looks normal in gross appearance and there is only subjective discomfort. Dry eye is caused by Vata vitiating nidanas. Later on, pitta vitiating factors also contribute to the disease pathology.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Sjogren’s Syndrome?
In Ayurveda, several medicines are available that cure this condition of its root cause. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre has made a specialized kit ‘’Sjogren’s syndrome care kit’’, that works naturally with its medicinal properties. The kit has total of a 6 products – Ras raj ras, Kapha detox powder, Ekangveer ras, Trikatu syrup, Pain-o-kill oil, and Vaat nashik vati.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Ras Raj Ras
Ras Raj Ras is very useful in relieving the symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome because the components of these tablets are several beneficial herbs that can improve body metabolism and eliminate free radicals. The tablet is composed of Vang bhasma, Swarna bhasma, Rajat bhasma, Loha bhasma, Shuddh parad, etc. The combination of these capsules has a comprehensive anti-oxidant action and can boost the natural immunity of the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Kapha Detox Powder
This is the herbal powder that detoxes the body by removing excess toxins. The powder is the combination of several herbs and bhasmas that are very beneficial in reducing the signs and symptoms of sjogern’s syndrome. It includes Laxmi vilas ras, Kapha ketu ras, Tankan bhasma, Godanti bhasma, Abhrak bhasma, etc. The powder relieves the dryness of mouth, persistent cough, and other associated symptoms.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Ekangveer Ras
Each tablet contains Naga bhasma, Abhrak bhasma, Shuddh gandhak, Shuddh parad, Tamara bhasma, etc. The herbs can enhance the immune system significantly and are very useful in managing the symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome. It reduces stiffness, tenderness in the joints, swelling, redness, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
4. Trikatu Syrup
Trikatu syrup is best for balancing the Tridosha as it consists of Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Long pepper (Piper longum) and dried ginger (Zingiber officinalis). The combination of these herbs can strengthen the immune system, eliminate toxins out from blood and liver, combat free radicals, fight against infections, and improve the body’s energy levels
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
5. Pain-O-Kill Oil
For external application, this oil has the best results in reducing stiffness, swelling, tenderness of the joints and allows the patient to work with ease. The oil is composed of South (Zingiber officinale), Erand (Ricinus communis), Kapoor (Camphora Officinalis), Til oil (Sesame Indicum), etc. The ingredients have anti-inflammatory, analgesic properties that are very effective to ease the signs and symptoms.
Method of application – Apply the oil over the affected area once or twice daily.
- Vaat Nashik Vati – Vaat nashik vati is mainly used to pacify the imbalanced Vata dosha and helps in the reduction of pain, tenderness, etc. The tablet is made up of jahar mohra, giloy, abhrak bhasma, etc. The ingredients have proven anti-inflammatory properties, and it can make the immune system stronger. It can alleviate stress, fatigue, numbness, discomfort, and burning sensation.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Sjogren’s Syndrome?
Panchakarma plays an important role in treating Sjogren’s syndrome as the therapies provide proper strength and stamina to the body and allow the patient to perform their daily activities with ease.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides proper panchakarma services to cure this condition of its root cause. The therapies are done by experienced staff under the guidance of doctors. Some of the best therapies of Sjogren’s are –
- Netra Trapani: Topical administration of medicated oils/ ghee for a particular period is known as Netra tarpan. Tarpana is specifically used in conditions like Parishuska netra, ashru srava rahita netra, with Jivaniya ghrita (Ghee prepared with Jivaniya group of drugs).
- Pariseka: Combination of lukewarm milk and Saindhava lavana, can be used for Pariseka. It is very beneficial in reducing dryness, tightness around the eyes and provides a calm effect.
- Netra anjana: Paste prepared with Saindhavu lavana, Doruharidra and Haridra can be used for Anjana. This will helps to unblock the channels and maintain the proper flow of tears and glands.
- Nasya karma: Nasya karma is very beneficial in the reduction of symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome. It is given with Anu-taila (oil preparation) in the above condition. This therapy is beneficial both for eyes as well as for dry mouth.
Healthy diet and lifestyle
The patient suffering from Sjogren’s syndrome should change their diet and lifestyles, which can alleviate symptoms and prevents complications. We suggested some of the best measures that the patient must follow in their lifestyle –
- The patient should avoid sugar and sugary beverages because they can promote tooth decay, as well as coffee, alcohol, and nicotine, which can irritate the mouth. Immediate brush or rinse your water when sugary foods are eaten.
- Tooth decay, which is common in people with Sjogren’s syndrome, brushes your teeth after every meal and floss daily. Try toothpaste or mouthwashes formulated for dry mouth.
- Keeping your home humidified as it reduces dry skin, mouth, and eyes.
- The patient should blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer. He/ She can lower the computer monitor below eye level can decrease the width of the eyelid opening and help conserves tears.
- Notice your mouth every day to check for sores and redness that could signal an infection.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.